Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Since then did JP Contra Hard Coprs price become this ridiculous?

WTF Since then did JP Contra Hard Coprs price become this ridiculous?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Contra-The-H...-/311768788012

And it's the same with other sellers. The price has reached Alien Soldier territory.

Edit: holy shit
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/VAMPIRE-KILL...-/361865408054

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

This is why I just refuse to feel bad about using an Everdrive. Konami isn't getting that money and I was never going to spend anywhere near that on a game anyway.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Truth. Just scammers trying to fund their degeneracy. If those games actually sold for that price in the states, you could make a living just buying the games from Hard Off or something, then selling them on ebay.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Since the MegaDrive sold kind of poorly in Japan (compared to SNES/PCE) there are normally a lot fewer copies of certain games that while abundant here are near impossible to locate the JP MegaDrive version. Not saying that this excuses the insane price, but it makes sense that if prices keep going up, the really rare games are going to escalate rather quickly.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

It's pretty rare and it's notable for being easier than the other versions due to the addition of a health bar. It's always been Alien Soldier territory. It used to be cheaper, but so did Alien Soldier.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Truth. Just scammers trying to fund their degeneracy. If those games actually sold for that price in the states, you could make a living just buying the games from Hard Off or something, then selling them on ebay.
    The Japanese sellers seem to have caught on these days; both of those games are expensive in Japan too. They might go cheaper in open auctions, but they'll still cost a pretty penny.

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    Not saying that this excuses the insane price, but it makes sense that if prices keep going up, the really rare games are going to escalate rather quickly.
    Maybe, maybe not. It depends on the games and the system. There are really rare games that go for next to nothing, and it tends to be ones that are well known, overhyped, coveted by Youtube reviewers, or on Nintendo systems that seem to suffer from the ridiculous price escalation. I blame the rabid fan base of Youtube reviewers for this in the west; while some games have held high price tags back into the '90s, it wasn't until there was a proliferation of retro gaming Youtubers that we started to see formerly common games explode in price. Outside influences can certain have an effect on prices too: remember the way Moonwalker's price spiked when MJ died? I dare say a lot of that was fuelled by opportunist sellers buying up copies, but it seems to have returned to a more sane level now.
    Last edited by Silanda; 08-17-2017 at 03:50 PM.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

You like Japanese Bloodlines price? How about the North American version of the original?
    https://www.amazon.com/Castlevania/d...ds=castlevania

Pirate Smiley

That's about right for MD Contra, unfortunately. In fact, I'd say that's even "reasonable" given how much the game was fetching some 20 years ago considering how pricey far more common games are now. The MD didn't do so well in Japan, so more desirable games such as Contra and Vampire Killer didn't get the relatively big print runs the US versions did, making them far less common. Japanese versions of several late Genesis games in particular are expensive as well due to scarcity -- Comix Zone, Adventure of Batman & Robin, etc. -- and always have been.

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    You like Japanese Bloodlines price? How about the North American version of the original?
    https://www.amazon.com/Castlevania/d...ds=castlevania
    That's just an idiot trying to gouge people. I still think these overly inflated scalpers still help inflate the perceived value of these games by listing them so high even though they'll never sell at that price. Suddenly, you see something less than that, and it becomes a "good deal," even though that "good" price itself is ridiculous.

So's your old man! Raging in the Streets zetastrike's Avatar

I think the 3 hit points and Konami code has a lot to do with it. Some gamer here might buy the NA version and get frustrated quickly then find out that the Japan version is much easier. Combine that with the "ZOMG JAPAN IMPORT PRETTY COVER ART" effect and you've got a recipe for high BIN prices.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon
    Nope. Bloodlines is the problem, not me. I have no trouble with Super Castlevania IV (SNES) and Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (TCD), and have finished both games. Both of those are outstanding games, among the best platformers of the generation. In comparison Bloodlines is third or fourth tier.

No, it's unbiased analysis. The only fanboyism is people who claim that Hyperstone Heist and Bloodlines are actually as good as their SNES counterparts.
    My Collection: http://vgcollect.com/zetastrike

Done with Sega-16 (sorta) Master of Shinobi

Contra: The Hard Corps and Vampire Killer have been super expensive for as long as I can remember, I've never seen them sell for under $300 in all the years I've been collecting. Considering they came out when the Mega Drive was on a major decline in Japan I'm not surprised.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ApolloBoy View Post
    Contra: The Hard Corps and Vampire Killer have been super expensive for as long as I can remember, I've never seen them sell for under $300 in all the years I've been collecting. Considering they came out when the Mega Drive was on a major decline in Japan I'm not surprised.
    Oh yes they were cheaper once upon a time. In 2009 Contra: The Hard Corps, Vampire Killer, and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (yes even that game is skyrocketing in price for some idiotic reason) were well under $50.00 CAD. And for some fucked up reason (pardon my French) they are now commanding exorbitant prices. Why? Beats me! Ask the people who are tossing hundreds of dollars at these games!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I noticed a long time ago that most, but not all, Konami Mega Drive games are expensive to buy and have been for quite some time. The four most expensive Konami games, (based on both retro game shop prices and eBay and all games complete in excellent condition) in my collection are: Zombies (35) Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (70+) Sunset Riders (70+) and Castlevania: The New Generation (100+). I haven't added Probotector to my collection yet but when I do I expect to have to pay anything between 80-100 for a excellent condition copy. Yeah, crazy Konami prices! Who knows why that's the case but it is!

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

This is why I'm glad I picked up the Majesco reprints of Bloodlines and Hard Corps back in 1998 from Toys R Us for $9.99. Sure they are reprints in cardboard boxes, but I've managed to keep mine in pretty good shape. Sure they aren't the Japanese versions, but hey, they work for me.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I haven't added Probotector to my collection yet but when I do I expect to have to pay anything between 80-100 for a excellent condition copy.
    I've seen that one fluctuate in price wildly. Some time back a copy sold for 200 on Ebay and I have no idea why. It was complete and in good condition, but the price went exceptionally high in an auction for no apparent reason. It actually made me think about selling mine.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

As much as I enjoy "collecting" my favorite childhood games, I just don't get paying that much for a game.

After a certain point, just get an Everdrive. I have a lot of folks on my IG that seem to pick up ridiculously expensive games almost daily, and it makes me wonder if they are neck deep in debt on other things. Even worse, it's stuff that they have absolutely no interest in playing... ever. Almost like a disease, they are compelled to buy expensive retro games "just because..."
    Last edited by avlon; 09-10-2017 at 06:43 PM.

Thread Information