Quantcast

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Japanese Homebrew Games

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    OMFG... Simply PERFECT!!!
    Controls, Graphics, Sound seems VERY accurate to the Arcade.

OFF: I hate videos with scanline cause looks like shit if you watch in windowed size.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Hero of Algol

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Are there any 32X homebrew?

hardly any mega cd hombrew either, despite the ease of burning your own disc

The add-ons are both much harder to develop for, so no surprise when people already struggle with the base system. Besides emulators make it much easier to pretend you have a cartridge (at least early on, where it matters the most), especially when you can just open an emulator and load a ROM, as opposed to having to burn a disc every time (slow process). And the emulators that do support Sega CD have bitrotten enough to be a hindrance by now :​/

Also there's a lot more information on the base system than the add-ons. I'm not even sure if SGDK supports any add-on functionality either.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

The add-ons are both much harder to develop for, so no surprise when people already struggle with the base system. Besides emulators make it much easier to pretend you have a cartridge (at least early on, where it matters the most), especially when you can just open an emulator and load a ROM, as opposed to having to burn a disc every time (slow process). And the emulators that do support Sega CD have bitrotten enough to be a hindrance by now :​/

Also there's a lot more information on the base system than the add-ons. I'm not even sure if SGDK supports any add-on functionality either.
    Nope no SGDK support. I'd be all for the sgdk having bypass bios support to enable use of the hardware though.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Neither has much of an installed base or emulator support, and many MegaCDs have died too. Official sales numbers put just 2% of Gen owners having a 32x.

Burning being easy, well modern drives refuse to burn at slow speeds that are pretty much required. So you need to have an old burner drive, and having lived that age, let me tell you burning at 1x or 2x takes an eternity.

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Nope no SGDK support. I'd be all for the sgdk having bypass bios support to enable use of the hardware though.
    SGDK can do absolutely nothing before the firmware does its thing. You're stuck with region lock by-passers as usual.

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Burning being easy, well modern drives refuse to burn at slow speeds that are pretty much required. So you need to have an old burner drive, and having lived that age, let me tell you burning at 1x or 2x takes an eternity.
    Do we know exactly what makes a burned CD work or fail? Because some people report that the speed matters but some report that it works regardless of what speed you use, and sometimes it just plain fails, period.

I recall that track pitch may be a big factor - old drives don't like discs that have the track too close together (hence the 60 minutes limit). CDs with larger capacities work by reducing the gap of the track between turns of the spiral, which newer drives have no trouble with, but run afoul of the tolerance limits of older drives (if I recall correctly, Pier Solar ran into this issue). And tracks are "pre-drawn" on CD-Rs, so if you have one with a track pitch that's too close then nothing will help you here.

Also the whole issue that using a CD-R supposedly wears out a laser faster, but again no idea how much truth is here.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Kinda what I meant the sgdk needs something as part of the kit that enables you to do this

It still can't do anything about it - the firmware is hardcoded to only allow one region. The best SGDK tools can do is let you pick the region of the disc, nothing else.

That's probably also another issue. Nobody really likes the idea of having to distribute multiple CD images just to account for the different regions, and even less the need to make different disc batches if you decide to go physical (which seems to be the #1 goal these days). I wonder how much that discourages people too.

It'd be actually easier to make a cartridge game that takes advantage of the Sega CD hardware (e.g. the ASIC), especially since you can start with only the base system then work your way from there. The problem would be convincing people to have a Sega CD connected for a non-CD game :​P (somebody should make a FPGA add-on that only includes the ASIC)

WCPO Agent

It still(somebody should make a FPGA add-on that only includes the ASIC)
    This is the best idea yet, could it also run CD games off an SD card? IMO this is the only long term solution to failing discs and drives.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I never looked up the underlying physics, but it was common knowledge back then that if you burned at 10x, a 8x drive probably is unable to read it. My experiences and those of many others confirmed this. The MegaCD's drive is 1x.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

Wow, this looks and sounds awesome! :v

I've quickly compared and the graphics are more faithful than the PC Engine port but also there's no annoying vertical scrolling like the PC Engine port does (I noticed that many PC Engine ports have such issue, Parodius or R-Type also come to mind).

This Mega Drive demo also runs in higher resolution and has more solid animation, the PC Engine version seems to be a flickering mess at times...

Anyway very nice work! I hope that he will release the ROM.

edit:
    ok I just saw this too:
    Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    Today he posted a video of the homebrew game in action:
    And this also looks awesome

Does he plan on releasing it officially? This seems like a cool project that obviously many people would be pleased to back!

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

"Annoying vertical scrolling" is in ports to many consoles. Zero Wing and Hellfire scroll verically on Mega Drive but not in the arcade and PC Engine versions.

Darius Plus/Super Darius inefficiently use sprites for the bosses (to save rom space) which are the only time flicker becomes noticeable. This full sized Mega Drive port likely uses a tile layer for most of the bosses.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    "Annoying vertical scrolling" is in ports to many consoles. Zero Wing and Hellfire scroll verically on Mega Drive but not in the arcade and PC Engine versions.
    Ye, I noticed this with Zero Wing though in this game it's not as annoying as in Parodius or R-Type.

On the other hand I didn't even notice about Hellfire! :v maybe because it wasn't annoying either. I should try the arcade version btw, only played the ports until now.

As for Darius on PC Engine, there's also flickering at other moments, even during the route choice (the row of rocks in the middle flickers).

Thread Information