Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: [DEMO] Resident Evil 1 for Sega Mega Drive

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Megadrive [DEMO] Resident Evil 1 for Sega Mega Drive

UPDATE: There's a preliminary date set for Demo #2: October 31.

Finally, after almost two months, we can publicly present demonstrate Resident Evil 16-bit.
    Work on the game was started on July 12 this year. Back then we only had a vague idea of ​​what exactly we wanted to see in the game and how it should look.
    All this time work on the project has been in full swing, all the graphics had to be drawn and even more code had to be written.
    In the end, we got, and we can proudly say this, a full-fledged game, albeit very short.
    Similar games simply do not exist on the Sega Mega Drive / Genesis. And, there aren't that many isometric games for the console, either.
    Now, based on this engine, we will try to create a full-fledged game. Naturally, we will have to work hard, but I hope that we will succeed.
    (c) pscd.ru, translated by bagmahnutz.

GO TO SOURCE FOR DOWNLOAD AND SCROLL DOWN

Source: http://pscd.ru/news/10086-demo-resid...e-genesis.html

1504515060_re-md-demo-0.png1504515131_re-md-demo-1.png
    1504515091_re-md-demo-7.png1504515138_re-md-demo-6.png
    1504515117_re-md-demo-2.png

EDIT: oops, didn't see this post, sorry. It was in the wrong place anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik
    Nah, he's trying to recreate Spot Goes To Hollywood's controls (he mentions it in the Russian thread... somehow I could get that even though I don't speak Russian at all, don't ask me how O.O). Not particularly fond of those either.
    Nope, that's not true. What he discusses at beginning of the thread is what types of perspectives they were considering before settling for a "Spot goes to hollywood"-like isometric view. There's not a word in there about controls.
    Last edited by bagmahnutz; 10-22-2017 at 02:36 PM.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

bagmahnutz that is a VERY neat engine I hope you can turn it into a full game (obviously minus the Resident Evil branding but still zombie based lol)

Raging in the Streets

I really like isometric viewpoints in 2D games, but since the very beginning of it being a thing the issue of controls is something nobody can ever agree on.

None of those Spectrum games (Head Over Heels etc.), Spot Goes To Hollywood and those ever had controls that seemed fully... workable. It's always a bit of a chore to really be where you want to be. Although in a game like Resident Evil I imagine precise movement is far less of an issue as it is with a platform game (seriously, jumping onto platforms from an isometric viewpoint? Ew.)

I wonder why they chose the mansion design from Resident Evil 1, but clearly went for Claire Redfield in the character design

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Genesis

There is a forum thread that discusses the development of the game (how they came to design the isometric look of the game) located here:
    http://pscd.ru/forum/index.php?/topi...evil-dlia-smd/

Note: You will need to use Google translate the webpage from the Russian language to English.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Genesis

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    bagmahnutz that is a VERY neat engine I hope you can turn it into a full game (obviously minus the Resident Evil branding but still zombie based lol)
    I have nothing to do with it, sorry. I just saw this on a russian site and shared it here :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Gogogadget View Post
    I wonder why they chose the mansion design from Resident Evil 1, but clearly went for Claire Redfield in the character design
    Nothing is final. This is basically just a public engine test. The game's story & script aren't set yet.

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    There is a forum thread that discusses the development of the game (how they came to design the isometric look of the game) located here:

Note: You will need to use Google translate the webpage from the Russian language to English.
    Here's a tranlsated link http://bit.ly/2f9lI2R

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post

Here's a tranlsated link http://bit.ly/2f9lI2R

I've actually been playing with the director's cut background images and A/B planes it's not hard to get an acceptable conversion with dithering. I've no experience with the Mega CD but I'm fairly certain 3D renders of the characters converter to sprites and then scaled on this background could work. I've said similar things about CD 32X being able to do this with polygons.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Bloody brilliant! Well done there.

wow that's a pretty good take on resident evil on a 16bit system, really curious to see how far they take it!

I've actually been playing with the director's cut background images and A/B planes it's not hard to get an acceptable conversion with dithering. I've no experience with the Mega CD but I'm fairly certain 3D renders of the characters converter to sprites and then scaled on this background could work. I've said similar things about CD 32X being able to do this with polygons.
    That could turn out to be a very interesting project indeed. However, it sounds like a completely different idea altogether. These guys are focusing on mega drive (not mega cd) for a reason.
    Last edited by bagmahnutz; 09-09-2017 at 01:30 PM.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

This looks awesome... but Claire Redfield?

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    This looks awesome... but Claire Redfield?
    Nothing is final. This is basically just a public engine test.

Yeah I'd move away from the RE theme that's an C&D waiting to happen

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

[QUOTE=bagmahnutz;790519]That could turn out to be a very interesting project indeed. However, it sounds like a completely different idea altogether. These guys are focusing on mega drive (not mega cd) for a reason.[/QUO

Based on the screen shots, I think they'll do a competent job in terms of the stage design. It will be interesting to see how well they are able to animate the sprites. The still image(s) (one for standing and the other in a shooting stance) are pretty good. It should be easy for them to incorporate a walking animation. The question will be whether they will also code the game to have the character run as well? What about strafing left or right? Now that would be awesome.

Lots of ideas were discussed in the demo's forum thread. Will the character be confined to the building. Or will it act as a hub to other areas. The possibilities are endless.

If this turns into a full fledged game, they really should drop the Resident Evil reference and make it it's own thing.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Yeah I'd move away from the RE theme that's an C&D waiting to happen
    I wouldn't, and they won't. They're in Russia, you still get away with these things over there.

Thread Information