Quantcast

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: [DEMO] Resident Evil 1 for Sega Mega Drive

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bagmahnutz View Post
    I wouldn't, and they won't. They're in Russia, you still get away with these things over there.
    Mmm suppose it depends whether they want to sell this thing properly later on. I see far more potential in it being it's own thing because it won't be compared with RE games.

That could turn out to be a very interesting project indeed. However, it sounds like a completely different idea altogether. These guys are focusing on mega drive (not mega cd) for a reason.
    They could have done like the unreleased Game Boy Color prototype albeit without the hardware forcing the use of ugly colors x_x After all, if the GBC can do it, the Mega Drive probably can do it.

It's very clear that the goal is to make a 2D demake though.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    They could have done like the unreleased Game Boy Color prototype albeit without the hardware forcing the use of ugly colors x_x After all, if the GBC can do it, the Mega Drive probably can do it.

It's very clear that the goal is to make a 2D demake though.
    When you say ugly colours, do you mean the GB or MD? :P
    The way most devs did their colour-work on the mega drive it really makes it look like snes' retarded brother. Except for the few games where they managed to do colouring right (ie Monster World 4, Mickey Mania, Castlevania, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    Mmm suppose it depends whether they want to sell this thing properly later on. I see far more potential in it being it's own thing because it won't be compared with RE games.
    I'm not sure they're selling it. They might very well, and it would seem logical. But I'm under the impression that this isn't a commercial project.

When you say ugly colours, do you mean the GB or MD? :P
    The way most devs did their colour-work on the mega drive it really makes it look like snes' retarded brother. Except for the few games where they managed to do colouring right (ie Monster World 4, Mickey Mania, Castlevania, etc).

I'm not sure they're selling it. They might very well, and it would seem logical. But I'm under the impression that this isn't a commercial project.
    You need to have a look at the cancelled GBC port the colours are horrendous

Seriously, those prerendered graphics didn't translate nicely to 4 colors =P They didn't even use dithering (even just checkerboard dithering would have helped a lot). Though honestly I'd prefer if it had been redone as pixelart (the prerendered graphics could have been still useful as a guide to figure out the proportions I guess).

On a Mega Drive the laziest approach would be to downsample to 16 (or even 15) colors without dithering, and it'd still come up much better than that (even better with dithering).

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Hey, the GBC has 15-bit colors like the SNES, just limited in how many it can have on screen :P

But indeed, that kind of angles would work great on Gen. I don't think any game has done so yet?

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    Hey, the GBC has 15-bit colors like the SNES, just limited in how many it can have on screen :P

But indeed, that kind of angles would work great on Gen. I don't think any game has done so yet?
    I've never seen it but it would seem pretty easy to implement. I'm not sure 15 colours is enough from my experiments so far but dithered 31 colors over two planes is. Obviously that's a bit unrealistic at hires due to the tile usage.

If it was me I'd redraw the scenes making use of both planes then slap sprites on top

Here we are I coded a mock up, 1 plane using 16 colours (inc black) plus 1 sprite of Claire (4x9 tiles).

RE1-Screenshot.png

I'm guessing the sprites being used come from the Uprising Mobile Game. I think this would look amazing completely redrawing as pixel-art though
    Last edited by matteus; 09-11-2017 at 06:38 AM.

You need to have a look at the cancelled GBC port the colours are horrendous
    Yeah, I saw it when it was posted at assemblergames a couple of years ago. Overall, the idea is pretty cool.

Here we are I coded a mock up, 1 plane using 16 colours (inc black) plus 1 sprite of Claire (4x9 tiles).

RE1-Screenshot.png

I'm guessing the sprites being used come from the Uprising Mobile Game. I think this would look amazing completely redrawing as pixel-art though
    Looks pretty neat.

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post

Sure, but I somehow prefer this isometric thing they got going here..

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Seriously, those prerendered graphics didn't translate nicely to 4 colors =P They didn't even use dithering (even just checkerboard dithering would have helped a lot). Though honestly I'd prefer if it had been redone as pixelart (the prerendered graphics could have been still useful as a guide to figure out the proportions I guess).

On a Mega Drive the laziest approach would be to downsample to 16 (or even 15) colors without dithering, and it'd still come up much better than that (even better with dithering).
    I mean, that wasn't an official port, it was just a demo that they pitched to capcom. They did a poor job though, I agree. Even though the idea wasn't half bad.

Except for the few games where they managed to do colouring right (ie Monster World 4, Mickey Mania, Castlevania, etc).
    Castlevania? Really? The colours in that game are a mess! There's a reason there's a colour patch in this very forum to fix them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Castlevania? Really? The colours in that game are a mess! There's a reason there's a colour patch in this very forum to fix them.
    The need for those patches (however good or bad) is highly subjective. The game itself is, objectively speaking, very good looking. Not least because of the colouring, which brings mega drive much closer to snes. Now you might be able to improve on it, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it stands firmly above the bland gray masses of horrifically ugly mega drive games. And I say this as a sega fan.

No... it really isn't subjective.

If I tell you to draw a yellow ball and you make it green, are you giving it your subjective interpretation or did you simply screw up? Eric Lecarde has 3 different hair colours in the game and 2 different suit colours, depending on the cutscene.

If I tell you to draw a character on top of the ground, and you miss-align it by 1 pixel, isn't it wrong?

What if every step the character takes on the stairs makes the character merge itself with the stairs for an instant, is that just a subjective take on how people walk up stairs?

What about using a bit more 3D perspective and instead of centering the character in the middle you put it awkwardly on one of the extremities, which literally no other game in the history of anything has ever done? I guess the game is just Avantgarde in that regard?

Even if we go by the one thing you could possibly clame as "subjective", colour contrast and other details aren't that subjective. If I want to draw a smooth surface and the colours I pick make it look smooth, while yours make it look not smooth, then my colours are objectively better.

Game's an utter mess visually. Be glad it is as good as it is aurally and gameplay wise.

There's a preliminary date set for Demo #2: October 31.
    Last edited by bagmahnutz; 10-22-2017 at 01:49 PM.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

The need for those patches (however good or bad) is highly subjective. The game itself is, objectively speaking, very good looking. Not least because of the colouring, which brings mega drive much closer to snes. Now you might be able to improve on it, but that doesn't take away from the fact that it stands firmly above the bland gray masses of horrifically ugly mega drive games. And I say this as a sega fan.
    You make it sound like every second MD game looks like Task Force Harrier EX, which they don't. And I'm with Kamahl regarding Castlevania, the game has many visual anomalies presumably as a result of being rushed, and that includes some very odd colour choices.

RKA would be a better example of competent colour use from Konami on MD.

Games like Golden Axe always made me believe that there are a lot of blind sega fanboys.
    I get it, it's a nice game. But, it looks like crap. It does and you know it. And there are tons of games like it on the mega drive.
    Games that go out of their way to showcase the mega drive's visual inferiority when compared to SNES.

Despite whatever faults you tech-perverts might have found with it, Castlevania is a gorgeous mega drive game. It gives off the very same, distinct, SNES-like vibe of colour-rich* visuals.

* = meaning vibrant colours, not the colours some nerds at sega-16 believe should've been used, nobody cares about you (I'm kidding, don't take it personally).
    Last edited by bagmahnutz; 10-22-2017 at 02:40 PM.

Thread Information