Quantcast

Thread: Would replacement red trays for the Sega Genesis affect the value?

Raging in the Streets Thunderblaze16's Avatar

Question Would replacement red trays for the Sega Genesis affect the value?

So I just saw this listing of someone selling replacement red trays for the sega genesis. *something I'm surprise I never really see up for sale.*
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Lot-of-5-Se...AAAOSwaSZZ6Mnf

Do you guys think replacing those heavily worn and weak red trays that originally came with later Genesis games affect it's value?

I personally don't think so, I even go as far to say it would 'increase' value but not by much.
    Like I said the original ones were pretty weak and most of the ones you see now are super worn out, with the flabs sometimes ripped from holding the game for so long. so to finally see replacements for sale would be a nice,...well..replacement.

What do you think?

***Visualshock! Speedshock! Soundshock! Now is time to the 68000 heart on fire!***
    http://ban-game-4.gamewise.co/musha-metallic-uniframe-super-hybrid-armor_banner65-61867-full.jpeg

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Better than nothing, I think, but to a collector it wouldn't be as valuable as having an original tray. And there's a few different variants of the tray, so a collector would want the variant that matches that game. The trays are generally not unique to the game, so it's not as a big deal as a repro of the outer sleeve, but the original is probably preferable.

Frankly, I don't think most people would know nor care. If there's no apparent defects or obvious inconsistencies, it's really basically impossible to distinguish a well designed fake from the authentic bit. How many of us have swapped cracked jewel cases for intact ones, and how many would be able to detect that the jewel case isn't original? Even when there can be small variations such as in my example, I don't believe most people are going to be aware of them or put them under the proverbial microscope to spot them.

I think it's slimy to pass something off as authentic, either by lies or omission of information. That said, I don't think I'd care much if I later found out that my cardboard or jewel case was not authentic to the original game.

Master of Shinobi

Difficult to say. I might be more inclined to pay a little more for a game with an accurate repro insert than I would for one with a trashed insert, but not as much as I'd pay for a copy in good original condition. Of course, if you keep the original insert and include it in any sale, then there's no real possibility of a negative effect.

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Frankly, I don't think most people would know nor care. If there's no apparent defects or obvious inconsistencies, it's really basically impossible to distinguish a well designed fake from the authentic bit. How many of us have swapped cracked jewel cases for intact ones, and how many would be able to detect that the jewel case isn't original? Even when there can be small variations such as in my example, I don't believe most people are going to be aware of them or put them under the proverbial microscope to spot them.

I think it's slimy to pass something off as authentic, either by lies or omission of information. That said, I don't think I'd care much if I later found out that my cardboard or jewel case was not authentic to the original game.
    I think if you're talking about, like, a boxed copy of Vectorman, no one is really going to care that you replaced the tray, but I think something paying a ridiculous amount for something like Crusader of Centry CIB would want to know that the tray isn't a repro.

And repros are usually pretty easy to spot, especially when you can compare them side to side with the real thing.

Honestly, I'm surprised people aren't more picky about jewel cases.

Super Robot Raging in the Streets Obviously's Avatar

I wouldn't care much personally as long as the outer slip with the artwork on it is fine. The tray has no inherent value to me. I'd consider this sort of thing to be a positive restoration and would prefer it to smashed original cardboard.

But I'm sure most collectors would say it would affect the value. I'd still be inclined to pay a little more over having the original cardboard if it's smashed and un-savable but I could understand paying less than a game with the original tray in mint condition.

Just don't try to pass of the reproduction part as original and it's fine.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    Honestly, I'm surprised people aren't more picky about jewel cases.
    I guess it's probably because most jewel cases are just generic boxes. There's nothing unique about them, and most aren't customized for a particular system (annoying PAL Dreamcast and PS1 boxes aside). As long as the original artwork is intact, it's pretty much impossible to spot that a jewel case has been changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    I guess it's probably because most jewel cases are just generic boxes. There's nothing unique about them, and most aren't customized for a particular system (annoying PAL Dreamcast and PS1 boxes aside). As long as the original artwork is intact, it's pretty much impossible to spot that a jewel case has been changed.
    Not true, I haven't seen it documented, but there are minor differences between jewel cases. The general dimensions are the same, yes, but the logos printed on the cases are different, the types of plastic used are subtly different, hinges I'm sure are different, the spindle thing that holds the disc in, etc. Also, just by touch, cheap, newer cases also are slightly sharp on the edges and more difficult to open, etc., that's how I first noticed that the cases were even being swapped in the first place. Not a big deal to me, but I would expect someone out there to be really picky about it.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

^ This is very true there are subtle differences some more obvious than others.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Not true, I haven't seen it documented, but there are minor differences between jewel cases. The general dimensions are the same, yes, but the logos printed on the cases are different, the types of plastic used are subtly different, hinges I'm sure are different, the spindle thing that holds the disc in, etc. Also, just by touch, cheap, newer cases also are slightly sharp on the edges and more difficult to open, etc., that's how I first noticed that the cases were even being swapped in the first place. Not a big deal to me, but I would expect someone out there to be really picky about it.
    There are even differences between the longboxes for SegaCD/Saturn based on the hole size for the hinge that I've noticed. And certain Saturn games (from Midway I think) have these crappy thin plastic trays as well.

Anyway, repro sleeves, I don't think it's that big a deal as long as they match. Like Tower of Power said though, with a high value game you are going to want the legit insert. Crusader of Centy is interesting actually because it's one of those where you put the cart in horizontally instead of vertically.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Master of Shinobi

That's true, but are particular differences tied to particular games? If not, there's no way of being absolutely sure whether the case has been replaced, especially if you replace a case with a contemporary one and not a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    That's true, but are particular differences tied to particular games? If not, there's no way of being absolutely sure whether the case has been replaced, especially if you replace a case with a contemporary one and not a new one.
    Are there particular differences tied to games? It's possible, but I don't know of any examples off the top of my head. As I said, people haven't really bothered to document it from what I've seen, and even if they tried, with all the case swapping that's happened, it would be difficult to prove which cases belong to which games. But if there is anything like that, I don't think it would be anything like having the name of the game stamped into the plastic of the jewel case, but rather, certain markings (number codes, etc) and other identifiers on the jewel case that may only occur in the production run of that game.

I don't think you could tell if you replaced with a contemporary one most of the time (as long as any potential codes and such matched up), so that would limit the impact of having an "original" jewel case, however, people generic parts like reg cards between games to boost value, so I don't think it's without precedence.

There are two different cardboard box versions of the regular games that these trays are aimed for.

1. Slipcover box
    2. regular box

One example I can think of off the top of my head, of a game with both types is Pac-Man 2. It is not alone in this, there are some games that did not have both box types, but had one or the other.

I posted specifically about the Pac-Man 2 versions here, see the Imgur gallery link for the different box images.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...l=1#post787110

Obviously, if someone is making a tray only, it only applies to the games with the slipcover and not the ones that are a full box. So if you get any of these, make sure you check which box type your game has so that you don't buy something you can't use on your own game.
    Sega Genesis Master Set Collector
    https://vgcollect.com/Tripredacus/gen

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Another thing to note, is that these repro ones don't say SEGA at the bottom (probably due to legal issues) so they are easy enough to distinguish.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Thread Information