Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I reviewed Piko Interactive's 2015 Duke Nukem 3D release

Default I reviewed Piko Interactive's 2015 Duke Nukem 3D release

Hi everyone,

This week I thought I'd review the recent re-release of Duke Nukem 3D by Piko Interactive.

Anyway, I hope you'll enjoy the video!

Please check out my YouTube channel

Hero of Algol

Geez, guy, what a terrible review.

"Extremely low resolution", seriously? Compare it to any other FPS released for the Mega Drive or SNES.

"Enemies don't drop ammo" Plain wrong. Some of them do and the amount of items you find also depends on the difficulty you set when starting the game.

You had to resort to cheats? Hahahahaha
    The game has instant save and loading, you need no cheats whatsoever. Just don't be lazy and you'll be fine.

Use strafe to avoid shots; it's very simple. The enemies are very aggressive, yes, but it's a million times easier to grasp the controls and learn how to dodge their bullets than it is to learn from scratch how to play any of the MD's shooters which are considered hard or very hard.

It's even easier to record a review full of hatred though.

Death Adder's minion

LOOOOOL, if you consider that in 2015 Piko Interactive helped ease the game by adding more ammunition and reducing the damage, then I have a question: Author, fuck, have you ever had any more difficult Call of Duty games?
    Last edited by babulya; 10-30-2017 at 05:47 AM.

I don't know if Piko changed the difficulty, but if not... huuuuuuh yeah the Mega Drive game is a tad harder than its PC counterpart (saying this as somebody who completed the latter). You better immediately rush forward to open the room with the shotgun instead of trying to kill all enemies you find in the path or you're likely to be screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Geez, guy, what a terrible review.

"Extremely low resolution", seriously? Compare it to any other FPS released for the Mega Drive or SNES.
    Yes, Bloodshot, Wolf 3D and Doom also have extremely low resolutions on the Mega Drive and SNES respectively. Doesn't really change the fact that Duke 3D runs on an extremely low resolution as well.

"Enemies don't drop ammo" Plain wrong. Some of them do and the amount of items you find also depends on the difficulty you set when starting the game.
    Clearly not enough, nor is proper game design to have the first level give such a paltry amount of ammo.

You had to resort to cheats? Hahahahaha
    The game has instant save and loading, you need no cheats whatsoever. Just don't be lazy and you'll be fine.
    Nothing to do with lazyness, it's related to poor game design

Use strafe to avoid shots; it's very simple. The enemies are very aggressive, yes, but it's a million times easier to grasp the controls and learn how to dodge their bullets than it is to learn from scratch how to play any of the MD's shooters which are considered hard or very hard.
    Come now, no need to exagerate.

It's even easier to record a review full of hatred though.
    There was no hatred in the review. I like the game. Granted, I like it more for the curiosity and the attempt at bringing Duke 3D to a system that obviously couldn't run it. Do I think Duke 3D is a good game? No, I feel it fails on just about every level as far as gameplay and game design go. With that said, it is an impressive game from a technical level.

Quote Originally Posted by babulya View Post
    LOOOOOL, if you consider that in 2015 Piko Interactive helped ease the game by adding more ammunition and reducing the damage, then I have a question: Author, fuck, have you ever had any more difficult Call of Duty games?
    I own a big box copy of every FPS game that uses the Build Engine, so yes I have ^^

Thank you stika for be the first person to show the title screen of this Duke Nukem 2015 re-release.
    I recommended to piko redoing the title screen and the cutscenes that imo, looks so poor. I did a really quick conversion of the title screen to the Genesis palette and showed to piko, he liked and sayed that would be included in the game. I did not know that it really had been included. COOL!
    Last edited by LinkueiBR; 10-30-2017 at 11:35 PM.
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Not much you can do to fix the frame rate really. It looks like it uses some of the same tricks Toy Story uses.
    Last edited by matteus; 10-31-2017 at 07:16 AM.

I agree with the entire review. DN3D is a good tech demo and I appreciate the amount of work that must have gone into it, but I find the game almost unplayable. I'm sure someone likes it, but I think maybe Duke Nukem wasn't an appropriate game to port to the system.

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

I think if the level design had been thought out a bit better they could have done something a little more inline with the original. I get the impression cart space may have been the issue here, I've no idea how big those textures are tile wise.
    Last edited by matteus; 11-06-2017 at 07:20 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker JamesF's Avatar

All ports of the original DN3D excreted to make money, the original masterpiece should be played on a PC and nowhere else.
    Sega Genesis Model1 VA6, Model2 VA4|VA3, Mega Everdrive X5

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    Thank you stika for be the first person to show the title screen of this Duke Nukem 2015 re-release.
    I recommended to piko redoing the title screen and the cutscenes that imo, looks so poor. I did a really quick conversion of the title screen to the Genesis palette and showed to piko, he liked and sayed that would be included in the game. I did not know that it really had been included. COOL!
    Thank you! I tried to research what were the differences between the original and the Piko release, but it's not easy to find information on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I agree with the entire review. DN3D is a good tech demo and I appreciate the amount of work that must have gone into it, but I find the game almost unplayable. I'm sure someone likes it, but I think maybe Duke Nukem wasn't an appropriate game to port to the system.
    Yeah, that's how I feel. The game is interesting from a technological standpoint, but gameplaywise... not so much. But I do feel a bit of level design tweaking would have come a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    I think if the level design had been thought out a bit better they could have done something a little more inline with the original. I get the impression cart space my have been the issue here, I've no idea how big those textures are tile wise.
    I didn't consider the possibility of cartridge space limitations. What's the size of the Duke 3D's cartridge?

Quote Originally Posted by JamesF View Post
    All ports of the original DN3D excreted to make money, the original masterpiece should be played on a PC and nowhere else.
    I'll always prefer the original PC version, but I do have a soft spot for the Saturn and N64 versions simply due to how different they are.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Many people appreciate the unique aesthetics and charm of specific consoles. They provide an experience that the "original masterpiece" does not. We can still play and appreciate the computer version(s) as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Many people appreciate the unique aesthetics and charm of specific consoles. They provide an experience that the "original masterpiece" does not. We can still play and appreciate the computer version(s) as well.
    That's how I feel regarding the Saturn and N64 version. They're so unique that it just makes them fun to explore. The PS1 version seems like more of a straight port so I don't have as much of a soft spot for it.

Quote Originally Posted by matteus View Post
    I think if the level design had been thought out a bit better they could have done something a little more inline with the original. I get the impression cart space my have been the issue here, I've no idea how big those textures are tile wise.
    Fun story: I was playing the second episode in the PC version then decided to go back to the Mega Drive one and got to the third stage and then suddenly I was like "wait a minute this place looks familiar". It seems that at least to some extent they did try to recreate the layouts of the original (within the limits of the engine, that is).

The problem is that nearly every level relies heavily on the height changes a lot so there really isn't much that could be done aside from resorting to whole new maps from scratch altogether. That one stage happens to be one of the maps that are mostly horizontal in the PC game.

And with FM sound :v

Maybe MIDI was a better choice with the synths back then, but if you're playing today then go to the settings and choose FM because jeez (and warning: the GOG version defaults to MIDI, so yes, go run the setup program there). Unless you have a synth from back in the day or you're willing to mess with soundfonts heavily, you're better off using FM.

Master of Shinobi

it is a 32 MEGA POWER game
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Thread Information