Quantcast

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 16-bit era nostalgia - What comes to mind for you?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

arcade 16-bit era nostalgia - What comes to mind for you?

What comes to mind when you think of the 16-bit era (roughly 1988-1994)? Especially pop culture, places, things, etc.

I don't want to celebrate nostalgia, but I'm really curious what memories people have. I'm sure there are huge variations depending on age and location.

For me, I had a nostalgia overload recently when I came across this video filmed in 1993 of River Falls Mall in southern Indiana. There was this giant game center on the 2nd floor that I used to visit when I had the chance and offload so many quarters. The mall eventually closed and is now a bass pro shop

(skip to 7:25 for arcade)

I used to play that GI Joe cab in the video obsessively.

Another thing that just randomly comes to mind are those red-roofed Pizza Hut restaurants. My family would sometimes stop there when we went on trips, and I would always get a few quarters to play on the two or three arcade cabs they had.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Hmm... I don really get nostalgic about gaming as I'm still playing the same games today.

Was never outgoing enough to experience/appreciate the arcade scene.

I did have a TurboGrafx-16 just before the Genesis. Used to know most of the secrets in Bonk's Adventure, be lucky if I could remember 1/8 of them now.

Genesis was Christmas '91, with Sonic as the pack-in. I believe Spidey(vs. the Kingpin) was my next one. I think Mortal Kombat wound up being what I got into the most, oddly enough, as I don't care nearly as much about 1 on 1 fighters anymore. Enjoyed the beat 'em ups I had, even the bad ones(Batman Forever, I did say I was wicked into MK at the time). Really wish a Streets of Rage game(especially 2) were among them, but you can't have/know of everything. Also had and enjoyed half the WWF games(was really into wrestling back then as well). The Sonic games should pretty much go without saying. Skitchin was a blast. Had fun with the Genesis' Game Genie too. Trying out all sorts of oddball codes, more than actually cheating.

Banned by Administrators

When folks here were talking about VHS in the movies watched thread recently, it got me thinking about how great the video store rental days were for atmosphere. Going to those places as a kid for videogame and movie rentals were great times and good memories.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    When folks here were talking about VHS in the movies watched thread recently, it got me thinking about how great the video store rental days were for atmosphere. Going to those places as a kid for videogame and movie rentals were great times and good memories.
    Same here! I would always go on Fridays. And it was always exciting because I never really knew what new movies/games they would have in.

Hero of Algol

Lots of nostalgia about those days.
    It was pretty much a political incorrectness era... I was just a kid but my parents - especially my mom- didn't care about controlling what kind of content I consumed except for things with nudity. So it was pretty cool.
    Free TV was huge and great at the time in Brazil. Senna was ruling F1 and I was a fanboy; we had amazing football players, I had good friends in the same building we lived; it was awesome.

School was during the morning, so in the afternoon I could watch 80s action movies on free TV; superb drama flicks which my mom used to rent; play Sonic and several violent games; lots of good stuff.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

I think the only thing I'm nostalgic about with the 16-bit era is the magazines: drooling endlessly over Nintendo Power at the screen shots of Actraiser, Joe & Mac, Batman Returns, and Super Star Wars. Then there was Electronic Gaming Monthly and GamePro, where I read about Genesis games that my parents would no doubt never get me, like Quackshot and Castle of Illusion.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

The nostalgia I have is more for the early era. The NES had been around for what seemed like an eternity. When I started hitting arcades I realized I really needed something better. Playing TMNT and Golden Axe then coming home to NES was so painful. Walking through Babbages and Software etc felt like going into the future to my 10 year old eyes. The Genesis, TG-16, Neo-Geo and Lynx all looked so sleek at the time. Seeing them behind glass cases at Toy R'Us I might have as well been staring at the Hope Diamond. I don''t think I can get that excited about anything anymore.

I really wanted a port of TMNT. I wrote Sega asking if their was any chance. They politely told me no but included a list of games to be released and a poster. Compared to the snitty tone I recieved from Nintendo all the times I wrote them it made an impression.

I finally got my Genesis summer 1990 at Lionel Playworld. I so miss that place. Opening it I remember it had that new plastic smell but it was different than the Nintendo smell. Yeah weird but that it was a happy smell to me. I was impressed with the case Altered Beast came in. I remember the Rf switch looked awfully familiar to me.

Games were a bit harder to get first. Nintendo was everywhere. Sega was only specialty stores, Target, Toys R' Us, Lionel, and Montgomery Ward, all on the other side of town. Sorta made it feel more special

EGM was always my favorite magazine. It was huge. Absolutely loaded with previews. GamePro was scrawny and their preview pics always looked like garbage. Ninntedo Power seemed like pure propaganda to me even at that age. Sega Visions was no better but it was free.

The SNES VS Genesis battle also comes to mind. It was pretty amazing it did as well as did. I was expecting it to be creamed as much as I loved it.

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    Lots of nostalgia about those days.
    It was pretty much a political incorrectness era... I was just a kid but my parents - especially my mom- didn't care about controlling what kind of content I consumed except for things with nudity. So it was pretty cool.
    Free TV was huge and great at the time in Brazil. Senna was ruling F1 and I was a fanboy; we had amazing football players, I had good friends in the same building we lived; it was awesome.

School was during the morning, so in the afternoon I could watch 80s action movies on free TV; superb drama flicks which my mom used to rent; play Sonic and several violent games; lots of good stuff.
    Yeah, it's surprising to me now how little my parents seemed to care about violent games and movies (or maybe I just drove them crazy begging for that stuff). I would play Mortal Kombat incessantly on the family TV, ripping spinal cords and hearts out.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    I think the only thing I'm nostalgic about with the 16-bit era is the magazines: drooling endlessly over Nintendo Power at the screen shots of Actraiser, Joe & Mac, Batman Returns, and Super Star Wars. Then there was Electronic Gaming Monthly and GamePro, where I read about Genesis games that my parents would no doubt never get me, like Quackshot and Castle of Illusion.
    I always enjoyed Game Players magazine - it was more focused on humor and was especially funny when making fun of bad games (or so my younger self thought).

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Lizard View Post
    I finally got my Genesis summer 1990 at Lionel Playworld. I so miss that place. Opening it I remember it had that new plastic smell but it was different than the Nintendo smell. Yeah weird but that it was a happy smell to me. I was impressed with the case Altered Beast came in. I remember the Rf switch looked awfully familiar to me.

Games were a bit harder to get first. Nintendo was everywhere. Sega was only specialty stores, Target, Toys R' Us, Lionel, and Montgomery Ward, all on the other side of town. Sorta made it feel more special
    Speaking of game/toy stores, I remember drooling over the Sunday morning newspaper ads:

Banned by Administrators

^ Post above me really nailed it.

Video game magazines, arcades, and buying and renting stuff at brick-and-mortar stores. Things are better now -- news is instantaneous and free, consoles are advanced and on-line, and access to games is cheaper and easier than ever -- but I still miss those experiences. It stinks, too, because while I can still technically go buy a Game Informer or pick up a game from Toys R Us, it's not the same. I guess that's to be expected, but it still lacks the feeling I have tied to those same acts in the past.

Iron Lizard's post resonates with me regarding stores; going to Toys R Us or Lionel Playworld was a big event in and of itself. You'd look over the selection, take your item ticket, check out, and then bring the ticket and receipt to the caged area to claim your games. I'm so envious of kids today with their unlimited picture and video options. I'd love to have pictures or video of me buying my first NES or Genesis. Film was too costly then, and who would have wasted it to document the purchase of an item?

_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_ Master of Shinobi NeoZeedeater's Avatar

That video in the first post gives a good idea of the scene at the time.

1988 was when I started grade 8 (first year of high school here). Around the time the 16-bit era started, malls looked liked this:

By the end of the 16-bit era, the fashion had moved out of the '80s and stores that were focused on music cassettes were now about CDs.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Video game magazines, arcades, and buying and renting stuff at brick-and-mortar stores. Things are better now -- news is instantaneous and free, consoles are advanced and on-line, and access to games is cheaper and easier than ever -- but I still miss those experiences. It stinks, too, because while I can still technically go buy a Game Informer or pick up a game from Toys R Us, it's not the same. I guess that's to be expected, but it still lacks the feeling I have tied to those same acts in the past.

Iron Lizard's post resonates with me regarding stores; going to Toys R Us or Lionel Playworld was a big event in and of itself. You'd look over the selection, take your item ticket, check out, and then bring the ticket and receipt to the caged area to claim your games. I'm so envious of kids today with their unlimited picture and video options. I'd love to have pictures or video of me buying my first NES or Genesis. Film was too costly then, and who would have wasted it to document the purchase of an item?
    I almost kind of prefer it the way it was back then. There was more of a sense of wonder. There was information out there but not nearly as much, and everything was more of a journey as you were doing it as opposed to easily knowing everything ahead of time. I still try to keep things that way. I'm kind of surprised how much I still don't know despite being on the Internet all the time - just constantly trying to avoid everything I don't want to know. It's not as innocent now though.

Probably the main difference the internet brought up to us is that drama over a shit review builds up and spreads fast. Reviews were also horribly biased back then, but at least you didn't have angry mobs around nor partypoopers ready to ruin any hope you may have had that the game was indeed as good as the reviewer claimed (when they were biased in favor).

That said, something I don't get is with... screenshots. I mean, screenshots were always misleading - even when they're from the actual game, you're still missing context and you may imagine something else (hopefully more awesome) is actually going on, or maybe not but it made you imagine what else could be in the game. Either we got crappier at taking screenshots, or we lost our ability to imagine shit up when looking at them =/ (or both)

EDIT: also looking at that ad again (and remembering other ads), another thing that's true is that there used to be more emphasis on insisting you'd be the cool kid if you got that stuff (・・ )

Isolated Warrior Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Sonic

When I see a box of cookie crisp on the shelf I flashback to a wonderful memory of enjoying a bowl of cookie crisp (that had a Sonic promotion going on at the time ) while playing Sonic 2 which I had just acquired. Playing my favorite game (at the time) while eating my favorite cereal. Good times.

I haven't had cookie crisp in forever. I think they changed the recipe and the taste has suffered. Also the Cookie Crook and Cookie Cop mascots are sorely missed. Kids back then learned a very serious lesson every morning about crime and punishment, and the perils of falling between the cracks. Cookie Crook let his addiction ruin his life. His many run ins with the law left him homeless, disheveled, and mentally ill.

Banned by Administrators

^ Speaking of changed recipe, seems like they changed it for Kraft macaroni and cheese too. Used to love it back in the early 90s, but last time I tried it for nostalgia sake, it tasted pretty bad.

Thread Information