Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 16-bit era nostalgia - What comes to mind for you?

Neogeo

I like to think the Cookie Wizard is a breakfast Namekian who for cookie balance reasons split into two, the Cookie Crook and the Cookie Cop.

All which remains now is his cookie dog.

Isolated Warrior Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Holy $#☆ I'd never considered that! The dog (consumed now by Dark Cookie Energy) eventually morphed into his superstate and now appears on earth as a much more intimidating Cookie Wolf avatar. His mind and his spirit are going north and south!

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball Gamer View Post
    His mind and his spirit are going north and south!
    And if you ask Old Jack Burton he'll look him right in the eye and say, "The check is in the mail".

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoZeedeater View Post
    That video in the first post gives a good idea of the scene at the time.

1988 was when I started grade 8 (first year of high school here). Around the time the 16-bit era started, malls looked liked this:

By the end of the 16-bit era, the fashion had moved out of the '80s and stores that were focused on music cassettes were now about CDs.
    Loved those rocker chics. It was funny to see the smoking areas in that video.

I frequented Metro Center Mall in Phoenix from 1986-1989, when I was living there while attending a tech school to study Electronics Applications. There was a Golf N' Stuff just outside of the mall and it had an arcade with over 100 games. I remember reading about it in Electronic Games, prior to living there. The arcade did not disappoint, with a lot of deluxe arcade games from Sega including After Burner and Space Harrier.

I moved to Dallas in mid 1989, and there was a mall called Valley View. They had a Gold Mine arcade, and I often frequented the Babbages that was part of the stores surrounding the food court. It later was replaced by a GameStop. Everything went downhill when the mall decided to bring in a Hip-Hop station that featured Steve Harvey in the mornings. It attracted a lot of thug like visitors and most of the middle class shoppers went elsewhere. I believe the ownership of the mall did this on purpose, and the mall is now being torn down to make room for business towers with shopping centers between them.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I need to start in my home

Playing my Mega Drive on Christmas day downstairs on the Big TV with my faithful Staffordshire bull terrier by my side and a roaring parkway fire, while all the rest of the family were upstairs sleeping.
    Still continuing on from Christmas day would be some of these memories .... Finding out that the screenshots of Altered Beast were real and that's what the game looked like on the MD, hearing for this for the 1st time

Playing Revenge Of Shinobi and seeing that moon rise up in the Background, then to be followed by that amazing waterfall backdrop along with that music and the 1st time you see an enemy explode.

Then it would be The Cyber Razor cut along with the clever line of to be this good takes AGES/SEGA

Counting down the weeks till the new issue of Mean Machines would be in the Newsagents - The days before the internet and one only got gaming news from a monthly mag.

Sonic 2sday and the marked change of a BIG game coming out on the same day as the USA and also on a Tuesday.

Going to an import shop and seeing the most amazing games and systems, you never knew existed.

Games Master TV series

SKY's 5 day a week, weekly game show Games World (good times that we never see again)

SEGA Sponsoring F1 and also the British GP

The days of Special Reserve a UK mail order corp.

Seeing the likes of Cathy Dennis with a SEGA top, with SEGA Europe big push to make the MD cool to own.

The huge gaming section in Cardiff's Toys R Us

Gear Gear TV Tunner meant you could watch TV on the go (when it wasn't quite the norm)
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 11-02-2017 at 04:25 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Given my own birth year (1992), my memories are admittedly a bit more skewed compared to the others here.

The earliest memory I have of playing a video game was actually my Father showing off Shining Force to me on our Mega Drive, showing me the Dark Dragon. I thought it was cool as shit.
    Then he got me to start playing the game, to get to that point in it myself. And used it to encourage me to learn to read some more. I think I was 4 or 5 at the time.

Other games such as Cadash, Toejam and Earl, and Battle Squadron were quite strong features too.

I quite loved how much more refined the artwork in the Mega Drive games tended to be, compared with most 2D games we had on the PC. Oh, the slight irony that the first Sonic game I ever played was the Sonic and Knuckles Collection. Bloody well loved it.

I have much much more nostalgia for my Mega Drive than I ever did for machines that were suppose to be big when I was growing up, like the PlayStation 2 that we had. Only machine I had closer personal connection to would've been my personal computers through the ages.

Not gonna lie, however, the Game Boy Color takes a third place in my heart - Perhaps sharing it with the Master System. My name might be a give-away.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    And used it to encourage me to learn to read some more. I think I was 4 or 5 at the time.
    Video games teaching children to give a shit about reading and learning? Impossible!
    05/05/15

I remember everything being dirty and almost shanty. Stores could have a damn chain link fence in the place keeping people out of things that were of value or a place they didn't want people to go. If there was a piece of paper trash on the floor, nobody cared or paid attention to it. However these were locally owned shops.

Most nostalgic to me is in Circuit City, Best Buy, or Sears. The wall of TVs. That alone was a beautiful thing that kids will never see again.
    hqdefault.jpg
    This is your money, give me a smoking.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Skullkid's Avatar

Mortal kombat and spiderman.

Angry Liberal Arts Major Hero of Algol Iron Lizard's Avatar

Anyone remember Sears putting the video section in the boys clothes section? I hope what ever evil genius came up with that idea got a raise.

Yep! It was like that through the Saturn at which point it was consolidated into the electronics department. Remember debating between buying Fighting Vipers or Mr. Bones at one and later taking advantage of the deep discounts of Saturn games there. It stunk though because no one ever manned that counter, and things weren't displayed well at all in the locked cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    What comes to mind when you think of the 16-bit era (roughly 1988-1994)? Especially pop culture, places, things, etc.

I don't want to celebrate nostalgia, but I'm really curious what memories people have. I'm sure there are huge variations depending on age and location.

For me, I had a nostalgia overload recently when I came across this video filmed in 1993 of River Falls Mall in southern Indiana. There was this giant game center on the 2nd floor that I used to visit when I had the chance and offload so many quarters. The mall eventually closed and is now a bass pro shop

(skip to 7:25 for arcade)

I used to play that GI Joe cab in the video obsessively.

Another thing that just randomly comes to mind are those red-roofed Pizza Hut restaurants. My family would sometimes stop there when we went on trips, and I would always get a few quarters to play on the two or three arcade cabs they had.
    Oh my god, the clown teeth shooting game! I repressed that completely (8:28).

88-94 was all about renting games and horror movies from video stores, walking the mall browsing software etc and kaybee toys for games and weekend trips to arcades with my brother and dad and cousin.

great times.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

One time my cousin, brother and I were at a mall bathroom. There's a dude on the shitter, while I'm in there using the urinal. My cousin peaks his head in the door and says: "Oooh!....Oooh! I have diarrhea really bad." I'm looking at my cousin and whispering really loud: "Shut up Scott! Shut up!"
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Like others have said, most of my memories are of stores and places that have gone by over the years. Malls in particular, back when malls seemed like a really cool and interesting place, with arcades, movie theaters, and hobby shops (as where malls today have none of that anymore). With CD stores that would have every album from every band you'd ever heard of. Software Etc, and their assortment of PC games. Heck, I remember going on a field-trip to a mall that no longer exists, and seeing The Lion King there on the big screen.

Trying to copied games on floppy and get them to run on a crummy Macintosh computer that we had. Hearing word about "the interenet" spreading and wondering what it was like. I conceptualized it as being like some form of virtual reality where you could see people you knew on there, in real time, doing things. No idea.

As I mentioned in another thread - HILLS department store. The second you'd walk in there you were greeted by the aroma of popcorn, and they'd sell it by those paper boxes like you'd something get in school. Massive toy department and a radical video game department. Just a lot of other stores that used to be around like Ames, Montgomery Wards, Sun Computers (I remember trying out some sort of weird VR snowboarding game there way back when, no idea what it was). We didn't have Toys R Us, but we had Family Toy Warehouse and that place was amazing to me as a kid, but everything there was usually too expensive for our parent's taste. I remember when stores like Kmart and Sears would have the latest games hooked up for you to try out in store. Come to think of it, the video game department in Sears was in fact across from the boys department. And yes, I remember Sears having like 50 million TV sets on display. I often wonder how the market for TVs shrunk like it did?

Then there was renting games from video stores, mostly locally owned video stores. We weren't savvy enough to read Nintendo Power or anything like that at the time, we'd just go to the video store, look at the covers and the titles and which ever one looked the coolest, we rented. Sometimes we'd rent a game so many times that our parents could have paid for a new copy. One such games was Snow Brothers on NES.

That's probably enough rambling for now.

Thread Information