Quantcast

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: The Nintendo 64 Classic Edition.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Soulis View Post
    I'm sorry but that baseball game looks atrocious, i don't care how good resolution it runs at. You can literally count the polygons on the players. N64 baseball games look much better than that. This one runs at high res too, without the expansion pack.

As for Winter sports, 1080 does more in terms of graphics.
    I think that the problem is that people here have radically different, yet unblanced values in what looks good in early 3D games.

So much of the animation in All Star Baseball 99 N64 looks so broken that I honestly can't believe it shipped like that, independent of the sparse and lower than low res textures in a "high-res" game.

The models in both those baseball games are angular, but having such a strong reaction to the detailed and well animated Saturn game to call it "atrocious", while posting ASB'99 makes it clear that your tastes are reversed engineered around the N64. So there's no point in people posting anymore videos, if people are looking for radically different things, even when replying about a specific element.

1080 isn't a winter sports game, it's a snowboarding game, which is closer to an arcade racer. Nagano '98 is the closest thing to Winter Heat that I can think of for N64.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

There are a few games (like very few) that visibly push the system beyond the competition so that means the power is there. It's just that very few were willing to go through the hoops and tap it.
    That's because of the cartridge format. Developers were already going through hoops just to get their games to fit. That's already a challenge, so to try to exploit the hardware in an impressive way is a lot on top of that. It also takes more data to make graphics better in many ways. Which can mean less game. Plus with the additional expense of cartridges... Nobody wants a $70 tech demo.

Think of something like Omega Boost, which, as it was, was praised for its graphics but criticized for being too short. Now imagine trying to fit that game on a cartridge. You'd probably have to either make it even shorter, or reduce the textures, or cut some assets and reuse the remaining ones. Or some combination of the three. Plus, keep in mind that it's just some shooting game without a big name attached that would generate a lot of hype (like a Star Wars game or a Rare platformer), so they probably won't feel that the game justifies the expense of the largest available cart size. So basically it either looks worse or is over in like 45 minutes.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I think that the problem is that people here have radically different, yet unblanced values in what looks good in early 3D games.

So much of the animation in All Star Baseball 99 N64 looks so broken that I honestly can't believe it shipped like that, independent of the sparse and lower than low res textures in a "high-res" game.

The models in both those baseball games are angular, but having such a strong reaction to the detailed and well animated Saturn game to call it "atrocious", while posting ASB'99 makes it clear that your tastes are reversed engineered around the N64. So there's no point in people posting anymore videos, if people are looking for radically different things, even when replying about a specific element.
    Don't get me wrong, i don't like the way this game looks either. And i see that the animation isn't great (90's US developers at it again). But we are talking about how games push the systems technically not aesthetically. He asked for a high-res baseball game, i showed him one that has (technically) more complex graphics even though it's ugly aesthetically. It's the US "janky" look games had in the late 90's that i was talking about earlier. Another very obvious example is Rush 2049. The game does a lot technically, having very busy backgrounds and unlimited draw distance but at the same time it looks ugly as sin.

We are talking about hardware capabilities here. The systems only care about polygons, amount of pixels, amount of colors, etc. They can't tell how these things are put together to make a pleasant image. That's the artist's job.

And come on, "detailed Saturn game"? Those models look like they jumped out of a 32X game and then dressed with textures, it's obvious they re made by a very low amount of polygons, even by 5th gen standards. And before you bring up my tastes, i don't play baseball games but if i had to i would play the Saturn one.

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    That's because of the cartridge format. Developers were already going through hoops just to get their games to fit. That's already a challenge, so to try to exploit the hardware in an impressive way is a lot on top of that. It also takes more data to make graphics better in many ways. Which can mean less game. Plus with the additional expense of cartridges... Nobody wants a $70 tech demo.
    Yes. That makes sense.
    Last edited by Soulis; 12-02-2017 at 07:28 PM.

I'm sorry but that baseball game looks atrocious, i don't care how good resolution it runs at. You can literally count the polygons on the players. N64 baseball games look much better than that. This one runs at high res too, without the expansion pack.
    This is what I mean by your double standards, Does the N64 Baseball you just showed game use 3D polygons for the crowd, no it doesn't and nothing from you. But when a Saturn game does it, let's highlight it. The point of that vid was to also to show a Saturn High Res game running at 60 fps all with full polygon 3D characters but thanks for also looking over that too 3D Baseball is the best looking Baseball game on all formats, but that runs a lower screen res and frame rate. And finally to compare 1080 to Winter Heat is simply laughable. You should be comparing it too Steep Sloop Sliders, and again thats a game running at a higher res and better frame rate and thats from a tiny company more use to making shooters than sports games compared to an elite In-House team, don't tell me Cave are a Arcade corp and so doesn't count

You talk of hate and being not being conistant. but its quite clear you hate on the Saturn and have complete double standards for 2D assets being used in games or when it comes to High Res and 60 fps
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 12-03-2017 at 08:04 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Arguments about graphics are dumb. Is the gameplay good? That's all that matters. WSB '98 is one of the best baseball games I've ever played. Not complex like modern MLB: The Show entries, but with a realistic enough batting system, yet still fun to play. Didn't know the Saturn one had a NiGHTS team.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Thread Information