Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Mega CD/Sega CD system worldwide sales figures.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    Yeah, agreed. Although it would’ve been nice for diehard Sega fans, porting super scaler games from the mid-eighties wouldn’t have been a system seller. Put it this way, what did those games do for 32X sales?
    I was so disappointed with Cosmic Carnage that I returned it and the store actually took it back. I exchanged it for Space Harrier, which was the most enjoyable and to me impressive 32X game at the time, after Doom and VRDX.

But I don't think anyone else locally took those ports seriously. They were also budget priced at (I think) half as much as regular 32X games.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Don't quite get your cocky comments on Flicky either;it was part of a collection and I only wished SEGA did more of its Tin can collection on the Mega CD and still to this day,made more collections of its old games full stop.
    Yeah no it was also sold as a separate cartridge (except in Japan) just as Frogger (both on stock MD). My point being that at the time, no one except us sega forum nerds cared about perfect ports of old games: the promise was to have the current arcade experience at home, which obviously wasn't possible with 16-bit cost-reduced consolized hardware.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Yeah no it was also sold as a separate cartridge (except in Japan) just as Frogger (both on stock MD). My point being that at the time, no one except us sega forum nerds cared about perfect ports of old games: the promise was to have the current arcade experience at home, which obviously wasn't possible with 16-bit cost-reduced consolized hardware.
    Having Arcade ports on the Mega Drive was a big deal and SEGA even used that as a selling point, even after Sonic . With the Mega CD it had the hardware to have better ports of the coin ups and bring more of the Arcade experience home.

SEGA Japan should have used that more in 1992 and early 93 IMO. Just look at Soulstar and imagine SEGA having a port of GF II or AB OK with a similar gfx engine and Arcade perfect music and sound effects in 92. I think that would have impressed more Mega CD owners than Super League CD.

I can't speak for all . But all us SEGA fans in my import shop who paid a fortune for a import Mega CD were polite for Arcade ports, after all the hype of the ASIC chip and were expecting More 7 killing effects .
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    Yeah, agreed. Although it would’ve been nice for diehard Sega fans, porting super scaler games from the mid-eighties wouldn’t have been a system seller. Put it this way, what did those games do for 32X sales?
    This isn't about the 32X . That was sold on the 32bit polygon dream in 94 and 95 . The Mega CD was a add on in 1991 and had hardware to help with sprite effects, not polygons. Having SEGA port some of its coin ups to the Mega CD for launch or not long after , would have been more of a bigger deal than Sol Feace or Ernest Evans and would have helped shut up the Mode 7 fans LOL

How much did Altered Beast, AB II, Golden Axe, Thunerblade help with Mega Drive sales . I can only recall Golden Axe being a big deal and even then, it never sold close to a million units . It was still important mind and a big deal to have SEGA port it's Arcade games to their consoles ... It's was the main reason I bought their consoles at launch and I loved the likes of Golden Axe, AB II, Altered Beast on the MD myself

Sure none would have been perfect , but looking at Batman Returns , Cliffhanger on the Mega CD one could have see how a very nice port of OutRun, Super Hang-On could have been done , even better would have been both those games having a Arcade perfect soundtrack and effects , which would have been a big deal in 1992 IMO. It was a great deal on the SEGA Saturn in 96 LOL
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information