Quantcast

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mega CD/Sega CD system worldwide sales figures.

Quote Originally Posted by McValdemar View Post
    Streets of Rage II CD edition would have been fantastic man!

Really is extremely wierd things like the awful porting of Afternburner 3, especially when you see what Core was able to do with the HW.

But if you simply consider the few that were supposed to be out and where announced by 1994, but never finished, these alone would have made this great add-on a stellar add-on:

- Power Drift (perfect for the HW and long waiting for a decent port)
    - Dark Seed, I have no mouth Space Quest IV, Police Quest 3, Leisure Suit Larry and King Quest 5 in the adventure department
    - Myst and Return to Zork, Shadow of Atlantis in the point and click CD games
    - Grandia, Ultima Underworld and YS'4 between RPGs

All these became huge hits when released on other platforms.
    Yeah well said. I really don't know why SEGA handed out AB III to CRI. That game really should have been an early showcase for the ASIC chip. Was so gutted when Indiana jones and the fate of Atlantis was dropped, that could have been so good on the Mega CD with full speech. Very upset that Flying Nightmares was cancelled at the last moment, when that was said to really push the ASIC chip

And yes, can you imagine SOR II on the Mega CD with better sound effects and Yuzo remixed tunes via CD-DA audio?
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

SOR2 soundtrack is further awesome because it is produced by hardware in real time.

How is a CD recording going to beat that?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

By using higher quality instruments? By having real stereo separation instead of dual mono of the Genesis? By allowing layering and EQ'ing of instruments and the tracks? I dunno... have you heard remixes before??

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    SOR2 soundtrack is further awesome because it is produced by hardware in real time.

Some of the SOR Remake tracks are pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Some of the SOR Remake tracks are pretty good.
    That's true, but I think the music is defined by its constraints, and the original is good as-is.

Just like I don't think the original pixel art needs to be redrawn at high-res.

Because you can add more effects and mixes ?. JSRF and REZ sound awesome, no need for hardware
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Because you can add more effects and mixes ?. JSRF and REZ sound awesome, no need for hardware
    That's true, but I think the music is defined by its constraints, and the original is good as-is.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

With regards some of you talking about Sonic CD being the best 2D Sonic game, um no. It's good, but no. That accolade belongs fairly and squarely to Sonic 3 & Knuckles on the Mega Drive. Not only the best Sonic game of all time, but one of the best games of all time full stop.

I wouldn't agree TBH . I much rather the Saturn CD music to classics like Sega Rally, than the chip music in the Arcades , much rather the music to ECCO on the Mega CD to the chip music on the MD version .

If we had Streets of Rage III on the Mega CD Yuzo could have really sorted out the music vib he was trying to achieve and not be held back by limited sound hardware
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    With regards some of you talking about Sonic CD being the best 2D Sonic game, um no. It's good, but no. That accolade belongs fairly and squarely to Sonic 3 & Knuckles on the Mega Drive. Not only the best Sonic game of all time, but one of the best games of all time full stop.
    For me that was really the start of Sonic trying to copy Mario and also adding in additional playable characters and levels designed around them.

What I loved about Sonic CD was it was all about Sonic and the levels designed around Sonic . It's something I wish the 3D Sonics would just focus on .
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi

Usually true, but the SOR2 music was Yuzo emulating 80s/90s club hits on an FM chip. The SORR soundtrack turns the songs into a mid-way between the SOR versions and the inspirations. But what I found the most odd is that most of my favourite songs are pretty lame in their SORR versions but the ones I like the least in SOR2, are probably my favourites in SORR. It's an almost perfect flip.

And while it's true that the pixel art doesn't need to be redone since it indeed created game rules based on hardware limitations, it would still be interesting if the original team got back together and made a HD version, using the original character artwork (the design document has been released online and it has drawn artwork for every character in it).

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McValdemar View Post
    Sorry to bring up an old post but reading on an interview with Joe Miller, he states that they sold almost 6 millions of MegaCD.

"One of them was to see if we could leverage the existing Genesis as a base and then add capability to it. Frankly, we had done as much with the Sega CD, an add-on that had started, literally, as a sit-underneath platform, and that added new capability. It added a color layer; it added audio and a bunch of other capabilities, and we sold around six million of those. The installed base for the Genesis at that time was something less than 40 million, so we felt that model had some merit, because it kept our customers from having to discard an existing platform that they had made an investment in already. "

i don't think he would confuse so much the numbers. For instance, the one of almost 40 millions of MegaDrive is considered correct.

https://web.archive.org/web/20131202...ew-joe-miller/
    wow. very interesting. I always thought the segabase documents were wrong about the 6 million sega cd's.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    really should have had Outrun, Super Hang-On, Space Harrier, AB II, GF II on the system using the ASIC chip and with Arcade perfect music, and Arcade quality sound effects
    Those were mostly old-ass games by then, graphically outdated, etc. It would be like they had ported ancient games like Flicky to the MD or worse, Frogger, instead of releasing them as an arcade classics compilation. Oh wait. Anyway they also probably ported other old games to the system so whatever.
    Juste here to point out that it would have been the equivalent of doing 2D games on the 32-bit polygoin era craze.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Those were mostly old-ass games by then, graphically outdated, etc. It would be like they had ported ancient games like Flicky to the MD or worse, Frogger, instead of releasing them as an arcade classics compilation. Oh wait. Anyway they also probably ported other old games to the system so whatever.
    Juste here to point out that it would have been the equivalent of doing 2D games on the 32-bit polygoin era craze.
    Yeah, agreed. Although it would’ve been nice for diehard Sega fans, porting super scaler games from the mid-eighties wouldn’t have been a system seller. Put it this way, what did those games do for 32X sales?

Quote Originally Posted by chilled View Post
    Hardly it took until the 32 bit gen of Consoles before we even could get anything near Arcade perfect ports,not even FM towns Marty could handle perfect ports. .SEGA was still using scaling boards even in the mid 90s . The Mega CD came out in 1991 and it would have been a big deal to have ports of SEGA coin ups using the ASIC chip .

Ports of SEGA coin ups were still a big deal to a lot of SEGA fans even in the early 90s and would have been a great way to beat Mode7 on the Snes too. Don't quite get your cocky comments on Flicky either;it was part of a collection and I only wished SEGA did more of its Tin can collection on the Mega CD and still to this day,made more collections of its old games full stop.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information