Quantcast

Page 30 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2026272829303132333440 ... LastLast

Thread: Xeno Crisis - new overhead run 'n' gun on Kickstarter

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert nihilblack's Avatar

The golden gods that work at Bitmap Bureau posted a new Xeno Crisis Mega Drive video, and it looks fantastic as expected. I find the death "animation" of the first boss a little underwhelming (maybe some big "blood explosions" would fix it), but let's be honest: this game looks crazy good, and I can't wait to play it a lot this summer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1l_b1xskcE

EDIT: They answered the death animation issue (it's not really an issue, just nitpicking on my part) on YouTube:

That would be a nice addition, but this is a 4MB Mega Drive game and the cartridge is completely full! What would you have us remove?
    Of course we don't want anything removed. Graphics, sound, those arcadeish digitized voices... Everything is great! Top quality game. These recent releases (Tanglewood, Tšnzer, Xeno Crisis...) are raising the bar for the Mega Drive homebrew community.
    Last edited by nihilblack; 06-03-2019 at 05:01 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

That would be a nice addition, but this is a 4MB Mega Drive game and the cartridge is completely full! What would you have us remove?
    Maybe an unpopular opinion, but: "ROOM CLEARED"

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

My nitpick would be a first level boss and its flashing effect when taking damage as it occupies almost 1/2 of the screen and is quite uncomfortable. Is it possible to divide the flashing zone into smaller separate parts (like 3 or 4)where it appears only on parts which take a damage or just change the flashing color to red?
    Last edited by molasar; 06-04-2019 at 10:21 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert BitmapBureau's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    Maybe an unpopular opinion, but: "ROOM CLEARED"
    Ha ha, ok yes, we probably should drop the frequency of that

Road Rasher

A collaboration with a controller manufacturer (hyperkin, retrobit, etc) to make a dual thumbstick controller would be awesome, not sure how well the aiming is going to be with a standard controller

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

I found the modern version voice sample, "Look at the size of this thing!" quite awesome. Any chance this might make it into the final Mega Drive version?

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    A collaboration with a controller manufacturer (hyperkin, retrobit, etc) to make a dual thumbstick controller would be awesome
    Oooh, I'l second this.

BitmapBureau, any update on whether the Dreamcast version will support the Twin Sticks, and the Saturn Twin Sticks with adapter?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training matasiete's Avatar

The game looks terrific. I'm eager to see how the controls work.

I personally wouldn't miss the "room cleared" voice.

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

A collaboration with a controller manufacturer (hyperkin, retrobit, etc) to make a dual thumbstick controller would be awesome, not sure how well the aiming is going to be with a standard controller
    I mentioned something to that effect before, but yeah, that'd be amazing, even if it was something released well after the game. The SmashTV dual controller method isn't bad, but it might be easier if you could hold the controllers sideways.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MushaAleste View Post
    I found the modern version voice sample, "Look at the size of this thing!" quite awesome. Any chance this might make it into the final Mega Drive version?
    Agreed! I thought it was included actually. Quite the bummer but then again it comes down to cart size restrictions.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

The option exists with the 8bitdo retro receiver for the Genesis. It may not be the lowest lag option, but it would allow for PS4/XBONE/Arcade stick options.

Quote Originally Posted by MushaAleste View Post
    Ha ha, yeah we had some fun with the voice samples in Xeno Crisis. Obviously there's no limits to the file size of the modern version, so we were able to include loads of speech and sounds - we knew most of it wouldn't make it into the Mega Drive version because of the cart size (32 Mega Bits / 4 Mega Bytes), so we included as much as we could and now we're at the stage where making some optimisations here and there will allow us to reinstate some speech and sfx that we originally culled. I can't say for sure how much extra we'll get in there, but we'll do our best!

I think if Xeno Crisis had been designed specifically for twin-sticks then we definitely would have considered a custom controller, but it's actually been carefully designed for the Mega Drive's 3 button pad, similar to how Shock Troopers was designed for the Neo Geo's setup. So I can assure you that the controls work great, and I really don't feel much of an advantage (if any) when playing the game on modern systems with a twin-stick setup such as the Switch and PS4.

I remember how awkward it felt playing the Mega Drive version of Smash TV, so the controls were something that we wanted to get absolutely right before we started development in earnest. The strafing mechanic allows you to move and shoot in different directions, and whilst Smash TV did offer this mechanism, the game wasn't built around it, so the balance felt completely off to me. On top of the strafing mechanic we also have a rotation mechanic, allowing you to rotate your shot direction with 'A' and 'C', much like in Skeleton Krew and Forgotten Worlds. There's also the option to play with a 6-button controller of course, for anyone who prefers the control system of Smash TV on the SNES. Personally I play the game on keyboard a lot as I do a lot of testing / debugging on emulators and have no problems at all.

Master of Shinobi

just don't put in there a sample that plays all the time, it'll get boring fast!
    I'm sure the controls are fine, even given the 3pad button limitation. Will there be extra options/shortcuts for 6pad controllers?
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Hero of Algol

It certainly looks and sounds phenomenal; especially in terms of how well it recreates a proper raw arcade game feel.
    I love the fact that there's basically no HUD in the game - full screen action being one of the trademarks of the arcade experience IMO.
    The Tatsujin-esque screen transition is awesome as well.

The sound effects are really crystal clear and the in-fight package reminds of "Aliens"; superb.

@BitmapBureau
    One little detail that I find a bit rough though is how short the time is for some of the presentation screens and transitions.
    A few points about that:
    • When you move from one room to another, I think you could reduce the vertical scrolling speed a little bit. The horizontal scrolling speed is fine but for the vertical one it looks faster than it should be.
    • Stuff such as we can see in the video prior to the first boss could be improved. The "ROOM CLEAR" text barely flashes on the screen and you're already moving to the boss scene. It looks glitchy due to how quickly it appears/disappears.
    • The boss close camera thing (which is cool and reminds me of tokusatsu boss intros) should stay a little longer, like 0.5 to 1 second longer. It would generate a bit more drama IMO.
    • You could also give the cutscene music a little more time to fill the room before showing the cutscene graphics. When the music starts the transition screen sound effect is still playing and when the animation ends the cutscene is displayed right after. A little bit of delay would make it a little more dramatic IMO.
    Last edited by Barone; 06-06-2019 at 10:47 AM.

Thread Information