Quantcast

Page 31 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233343541 ... LastLast

Thread: Xeno Crisis - new overhead run 'n' gun on Kickstarter

I like the "ROOM CLEARED" announcement. Cause clearing the room is the meat of the game.
    Sega Dude

Visit my Instagram @RetroMegabit or RetroMegabit.com

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert MushaAleste's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thesegadude View Post
    I like the "ROOM CLEARED" announcement.
    Me too!!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert BitmapBureau's Avatar

Hey Barone,

Thanks for the kind words! In response to your points:

When you move from one room to another, I think you could reduce the vertical scrolling speed a little bit. The horizontal scrolling speed is fine but for the vertical one it looks faster than it should be.
    When scrolling horizontally we scroll 160 pixels compared to 112 vertically, at 8 pixels per tick - given that we're dealing with an 8x8 tile size, scrolling at 8 pixels per tick is handy and useful from a technical standpoint, so we can't really play with that value - can't say I've really picked up on it!

Stuff such as we can see in the video prior to the first boss could be improved. The "ROOM CLEAR" text barely flashes on the screen and you're already moving to the boss scene. It looks glitchy due to how quickly it appears/disappears.
    Ah, I'm in the habit of playing the game at speed these days and probably should have stayed in that room a second or two longer for the purposes of the recording - the amount of time that the "ROOM CLEAR" text remains on the screen is at the player's discretion really though - it's up to you if you want to stay in the room for the duration of the message, but I think it would be quite annoying if you had to wait for the message to disappear before you could leave the room.

The boss close camera thing (which is cool and reminds me of tokusatsu boss intros) should stay a little longer, like 0.5 to 1 second longer. It would generate a bit more drama IMO.
    Yeah that might be nice - I'll try it out!

You could also give the cutscene music a little more time to fill the room before showing the cutscene graphics. When the music starts the transition screen sound effect is still playing and when the animation ends the cutscene is displayed right after. A little bit of delay would make it a little more dramatic IMO.
    Ah yes, holding the music until after the transition has finished could be more effective - I'll make a note of that.

The sound effects are really crystal clear and the in-fight package reminds of "Aliens"; superb.
    Thanks! Savaged Regime really worked wonders on the audio, and yes, Aliens was a big influence on the feel of the game. Thanks for the feedback!

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post

It certainly looks and sounds phenomenal; especially in terms of how well it recreates a proper raw arcade game feel.
    I love the fact that there's basically no HUD in the game - full screen action being one of the trademarks of the arcade experience IMO.
    The Tatsujin-esque screen transition is awesome as well.

The sound effects are really crystal clear and the in-fight package reminds of "Aliens"; superb.

@BitmapBureau
    One little detail that I find a bit rough though is how short the time is for some of the presentation screens and transitions.
    A few points about that:
    • When you move from one room to another, I think you could reduce the vertical scrolling speed a little bit. The horizontal scrolling speed is fine but for the vertical one it looks faster than it should be.
    • Stuff such as we can see in the video prior to the first boss could be improved. The "ROOM CLEAR" text barely flashes on the screen and you're already moving to the boss scene. It looks glitchy due to how quickly it appears/disappears.
    • The boss close camera thing (which is cool and reminds me of tokusatsu boss intros) should stay a little longer, like 0.5 to 1 second longer. It would generate a bit more drama IMO.
    • You could also give the cutscene music a little more time to fill the room before showing the cutscene graphics. When the music starts the transition screen sound effect is still playing and when the animation ends the cutscene is displayed right after. A little bit of delay would make it a little more dramatic IMO.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by BitmapBureau View Post
    Hey Barone,
    Thanks for the kind words! In response to your points:
    Thanks a lot for taking your time to reply to my questions.

can't say I've really picked up on it!
    Hehehe
    Understood about the technical side, thanks.

I think it would be quite annoying if you had to wait for the message to disappear before you could leave the room.
    Yeah, I understand; it's a design choice after all.
    Having already written the previous post, I then watched the video more 5 or 6 times and realized that you probably didn't want to break the frenetic pace of the game.

Yeah that might be nice - I'll try it out!
    I'll make a note of that.
    Thanks for taking those into consideration.

Savaged Regime really worked wonders on the audio, and yes, Aliens was a big influence on the feel of the game.
    I admire Henk Nieborg's work but when you guys first announced this project it was Savaged Regime's involvement in it the one thing that made me jump into it instantaneously.
    It was really unfair that such a talented expert had never been responsible for the soundtrack of a proper MD game up until that point.

Based on what you guys have shared so far, the results of his work are every bit as mind-blowing as I was expecting.

And I'm a big Aliens fan. I like most of the stuff related to the franchise but "Aliens" is special IMO.
    I hope one day we can get something of the same caliber of Xeno Crisis inspired by "The Abyss", another movie that I dig to no end :P.
    Last edited by Barone; 06-07-2019 at 02:07 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    And I'm big Aliens fan. I like most of the stuff related to the franchise but "Aliens" is special IMO.
    Aliens 1986 is my favorite of them all in the franchise.
    Funny thing is that I have tried to promote the game a little bit and opened a dedicated topic on avpgalaxy.net forum but it has not grabbed any attention there. My guess is that fans over there are more into games which are 3D cinematic on simulator side of gameplay than arcade (e.g. AvP shooters, Alien Isolation).
    Last edited by molasar; 06-07-2019 at 03:13 PM.

I wish that next Bitmap Bureau project to be a beat'em up game with gore elements being inspired by Conan films with Schwarzenegger and games like Barbarian: The Ultimate Warrior C64, Golden Axe 1-3, Rastan Saga, Warrior Blade: Rastan Saga Episode III, Doman (Amiga), Legend (SNES), Weaponlord.

Last edited by molasar; 06-07-2019 at 02:49 PM.

kirby

And I DEMAND Bitmap Bureaus's next Mega Drive game to be a dating simulator starring anime girls with F cups and pink hair !!!
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Bitmap Bureau's list of upcoming projects:
    1. Xeno Crisis 2019
    2. unknown (their own concept)
    3. unknown (their own concept)
    4. unknown (their own concept)
    5. Zebbe's anime dating simulator?
    6. molasar's Conan the Barbarian-esque beat'em up?
    7. Pyron's metal slug-esque run 'n gun?
    8. Pyron's beat 'n up?
    9. Pyron's action rpg?
    10. molasar's Earthworm Jim-esque platformer?
    11. molasar's Landstalker-esque or Beyond Oasis-esque action rpg?
    12. molasar's Desert Strike-esque shoot 'em up?
    13. molasar's The Lost Vikings-esque puzzle platformer?
    Last edited by molasar; 06-08-2019 at 12:40 PM.

Please, hair is multicolor as heck nowadays.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

I demand them to stay awesome! (and do whatever they want to do with their next game).

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Please, hair is multicolor as heck nowadays.
    Pffft. That's not what I see when I'm looking at YOUR avatar!

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    F cups

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    Pffft. That's not what I see when I'm looking at YOUR avatar!
    Does this look pink to you?

(incidentally that's from a series where they cover the whole rainbow and some more with the hair colors)

Anyway, I'm done with the off-topic here lol

Master of Shinobi

not F cups either
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

NeoVamp: Cheers!

Does this look pink to you?
    Nah, I meant it's not multicolour.

Anyway, I'm done with the off-topic here lol
    Me too .

Thread Information