Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: NEW REPLACEMENT LONG BOX JEWEL CASES FOR THE SEGA CD, SEGA SATURN, PS1

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Sega CD NEW REPLACEMENT LONG BOX JEWEL CASES FOR THE SEGA CD, SEGA SATURN, PS1

Earlier today, Josh Fairhurst, one of the founding members of Limited Run Games, announced on his Twitter page that their company would be selling new long box jewel cases for the SEGA CD, SEGA Saturn and PS1. This is what he had to say:

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Fairhurst
    First image of our new Sega CD/Saturn/PS1 longbox jewel cases.

They're real! No test shot of the tray piece yet (the black piece) but we should see that soon.

These are made in the US just like the originals and are exactly to spec. We didn't spare any expense on the molds.

Someone asked if they would be labelled reproduction cases to differentiate these new cases from the original ones, to which he replied:

We're not manufacturing new artwork (nor do we have any legal right to do so), just empty cases. This is no different than buying empty standard jewel cases at Target to swap out PS1 or Dreamcast games.

There is a sign, though, the tray in ours will not have a compact disc logo since Philips owns the rights to that.
    IIRC, it's the same styrene as the original cases, but we may look into a reinforced plastic for a more expensive deluxe case.

When will they be available to purchase?

Hopefully March! Molds should be done next week. Then they just have to be manufactured and shipped.

What about cost?

=Josh Fairhurst]Haven't settled on the final price until I know the full damage for our initial run and the mold costs. Won't be bad - I know there is a limit to what people will pay for these!

Why did Limited Run Games pursue such an endeavour?

We mainly brought these back for a few Limited Run CEs I wanted to do, so I plan to keep the per case cost reasonable on the replacement side since that's all a bonus.
    I have so many loose Sega CD games I plan to re-case. Lots of damaged cases too. There was a personal motive to doing these, haha.

Is there a projected time frame/date when these cases will no longer be available?

They won't be limited to any specific run. We'll keep making them until demand fizzles.

Where will customers be able to purchase them from?

We'll be selling them through http://gamecollectorsupply.com - site hasn't launched yet, though.

What kind of material are they made of?

IIRC, it's the same styrene as the original cases, but we may look into a reinforced plastic for a more expensive deluxe case.

Finally, someone asked if he plans to make 2nd Disc trays (for games like Saturn Command & Conquer) or de-doing the custom paper sleeves with the 4 notches for games like Panzer Dragoon Saga?

The paper sleeves are definitely a possibility, but the secondary trays would probably be $30K+ just for the molds. Not sure if we could recoup that.
    If this endeavour is successful, they may even plan to release replacement cases for other game consoles such as the PAL SEGA Dreamcast too. Yes, he did mention that possibility as well!

SOURCE: https://twitter.com/LimitedRunJosh/s...22014879420416
    Last edited by SEGA.GENESIS1989; 01-22-2018 at 12:25 AM.
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

I've been following this for awhile since he hinted at it back in December. He mentioned previously having a price point of about $5 per case, but needing to sell them in bundles of 5 or so.

Oh, and he also mentioned that these are the later Saturn style longboxes, with the larger hole on the case for the hinge.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Raging in the Streets SEGA.GENESIS1989's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by xelement5x View Post
    I've been following this for awhile since he hinted at it back in December. He mentioned previously having a price point of about $5 per case, but needing to sell them in bundles of 5 or so.

Oh, and he also mentioned that these are the later Saturn style longboxes, with the larger hole on the case for the hinge.
    $5.00 per case sounds fair and $25 for a bundle of 5 cases is totally reasonable. But then there is shipping which is about $15-$18 to ship to Canada ... ouch! It always pains me when I buy something from them only to realize that the price of admission will jump when calculating shipping.

I'm going to wait and see what people say about the quality of the case and how they compare to the originals. Hopefully they are alot more sturdy compared to the originals. And judging by the number of likes on that Twitter post, this is going to be popular. The number of replies it generated doubled overnight as well!
    "There's nothing to fear, except fear itself"
    http://i1054.photobucket.com/albums/s486/link2link2link/YUZOKOSHIROISAGODNEOSEEDEDITION.gif

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post
    $5.00 per case sounds fair and $25 for a bundle of 5 cases is totally reasonable. But then there is shipping which is about $15-$18 to ship to Canada ... ouch! It always pains me when I buy something from them only to realize that the price of admission will jump when calculating shipping.
    Could always buy in mass bulk with bulk discount and bulk shipping discount then ship to locals at a reasonable price.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA.GENESIS1989 View Post

I'm going to wait and see what people say about the quality of the case and how they compare to the originals. Hopefully they are alot more sturdy compared to the originals. And judging by the number of likes on that Twitter post, this is going to be popular. The number of replies it generated doubled overnight as well!
    Ya, I don't expect shipping to be cheap on these, heck, I wouldn't want it to be, I would hope they pad out the box, these things are fragile, aside from that USPS just raised their rates.

Very, very cool that they're making these, I've been waiting and hoping for this for a long time.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Brittle as they already were, I could not trust the United States Package Smashers to not play football with the packages.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

This is incredible! Finally! Are they doing wholesale ordering?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    This is incredible! Finally! Are they doing wholesale ordering?
    Not yet, they will be selling them through another site that is not LimitedRunGames, but will be owned by them.
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Yeah, I got a response about bulk discount pricing, but I'm more interested from the simple standpoint that I know several indie game stores who would want these in stock. And they usually just deal with a distributor.

Sports Talker

I know it is a long shot, but I hope they sell front/backs individually later on when all costs are recouped. I have so many great backs but a ton of broken fronts. Either way I see myself dropping $50+ the day they get released.

Also wonder if they'll sell the foam!

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Also wonder if they'll sell the foam!
    I buy sheets of 1/2" thick foam at a craft store and use it in my longbox games. Putting the foam in the case vertically, and towards the top, will prevent the manual from bending, and will flatten out (over time) a manual that's already curled. As long as the manual isn't warped due to moisture exposure it can be re-flattened.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox2013 View Post
    I buy sheets of 1/2" thick foam at a craft store and use it in my longbox games. Putting the foam in the case vertically, and towards the top, will prevent the manual from bending, and will flatten out (over time) a manual that's already curled. As long as the manual isn't warped due to moisture exposure it can be re-flattened.
    This is the way to do it.

Exciting news indeed! Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    I know it is a long shot, but I hope they sell front/backs individually later on when all costs are recouped. I have so many great backs but a ton of broken fronts. Either way I see myself dropping $50+ the day they get released.
    I bought out a second hand store 3 or 4 years back of their sports games they were selling for $1 a piece. I tried to take the cases apart and match them up to get the best looking cases. There were multiple styles of cases though you wouldn't notice with a naked eye. The big difference was the size of the pegs and holes. A small peg can go in a big hole (though the hinge will be loose), but it doesn't work the other way around. I also can't remember exactly if the distance from the edge of the case to the holes/pegs is the same between each case. Those joints are weak as hell too. The old stock had issues on almost all of them where you could see cracks through part of the plastic. I would advise to just buy a whole new case from these guys and swap out the inner tray, which all come out pretty easily, so you have the compact disc logo. $5 really isn't that much if you are talking about expensive games you are case swapping for.

Thread Information