Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: X-Men/Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter

Wildside Expert

Default X-Men/Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter

I wonder if Capcom pondered releasing these games in the U.S. Of course, in Japan they used the 4MB RAM cart, but would either game run on a stock Saturn without the RAM cart?

Capcom was a major supporter of the Saturn, so I have to imagine they considered bringing these to the U.S. Maybe they could have had a mode to run the games without the RAM cart (like Marvel Super Heroes), with fewer frames of animation.

We know that a stock Playstation couldn't run the 2 on 2 arcade mode of either game, but maybe Saturn's extra built-in RAM could have handled them without extra help.

Of course, Capcom could have released the 4MB RAM cart in the U.S. too. I'd be curious as to how much the RAM cart added to the price of these games in Japan compared to retail prices of other games.

Master of Shinobi

They never pondered releasing it in the US because the Saturn was dead by the time the games came out.

Without the RAM cart, the game could not run. It would either look like ass (nearly as bad as the Playstation) or have mid game loading when you switch (and look just a little bit better than the Playstation). Maybe, at best, they could have made tag team a ram-cart-only option, and without that the 2nd player can only be used as an assist.

SEGA Europe did look into brining the Ram Cart and even told SEGA Saturn Mag the game would come to Europe. Both SEGA America and Europe were useless for not bringing both the 1 and 4 Meg RAM carts to the West. Those Carts allowed the Saturn do handle stuff not possible on the PS and give the Saturn an advantage and it would have it could have also helped with other Saturn games like Quake, Duke Nukem 3D too. Sure it would have sold not in huge numbers, but it would have showed SEGA was committed to the Saturn user and trying to support them with the best software.... Important when you are trying to get people also interested in your new console.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Wildside Expert

I think X-Men vs. SF came out in 1997. Saturn wasn't quite dead in the U.S. at that point. That's about the time Capcom released SF Collection.

Quote Originally Posted by redsox2013 View Post
    I think X-Men vs. SF came out in 1997. Saturn wasn't quite dead in the U.S. at that point. That's about the time Capcom released SF Collection.
    The Saturn was all but dead then, but that was no excuse for SEGA America to treat the people who did buy a Saturn like crap and not look to bring the best software over and games that the PS couldn't handle, more so why you are trying to get goodwill and people looking forward to your up coming console. if SEGA America had brought over the 4 Meg Cart, X-Men Vs Street Fighter, Grandia, Metal, Slug, Dead Or Alive, Radiant Silvergun, Shining Force complete collection it would have shown it cared about the consumer and also shown off the Saturn in a good light against the PS. Sure it would have lost SEGA a few million, but it was going to lose money if it did nothing anyway
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    The Saturn was all but dead then, but that was no excuse for SEGA America to treat the people who did buy a Saturn like crap and not look to bring the best software over and games that the PS couldn't handle, more so why you are trying to get goodwill and people looking forward to your up coming console. if SEGA America had brought over the 4 Meg Cart, X-Men Vs Street Fighter, Grandia, Metal, Slug, Dead Or Alive, Radiant Silvergun, Shining Force complete collection it would have shown it cared about the consumer and also shown off the Saturn in a good light against the PS. Sure it would have lost SEGA a few million, but it was going to lose money if it did nothing anyway
    As a fanboy I get what your saying but the DC came out and did massive numbers at first and still got slaughtered by the PS2 that seems like it took a year for any good games to come out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    As a fanboy I get what your saying but the DC came out and did massive numbers at first and still got slaughtered by the PS2 that seems like it took a year for any good games to come out.
    Its not a fanboy, its the fact that SEGA was rather unfairly getting a rep for bringing out consoles early and then dumping them and moving onto its next system and also the fact that the DC was never going to come to the West until 1999, so SEGA America was going to lose millions anyway even if did nothing with no games for much of 97 to 99. Sure all new software and PR support needed to be directed at the DC and its plans, but SEGA America could have brought the 4 Meg Cart over and a select few top AAA Saturn games, which were already getting high prise in Japan and most didn't need huge translation jobs ... please the faithful show support and also get some press and good review in gaming Mags. Bringing over Metal Slug, X-Men Vs Street Fighter, RSG, Grandia, Dead Or Alive , Princess Crown would do your cause a lot better than signing up the likes of Courier Crisis.

You wouldn't even had to spend much on PR for those games as the Saturn core gamer would already know about these games and wouldn't need to be told to buy them, if translated into English and it would have been nice to see Saturn games getting some nice coverage in gaming mags and I'm sure Grandia could have sold 200,000 copies on the Saturn on the back off FF 7 hype . Doing all that would have cost SEGA a few million, say 5 to 7 million, but on the back of that you would have a lot of goodwill and SEGA showing it backs the people who buy its consoles and also showed off some games that outperformed the PS
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Wildside Expert

I agree. Between mid-1998 and 9/9/99 (DC Launch in U.S.), there was nothing for Saturn. Even if they brought over some games that had already been available for a while in Japan, I think it would have been great for Saturn owners. I know I bought a PS around that time simply because I wanted new games to play.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

Sega should have continued releasing Saturn games in the US, under a smaller label at least, maybe only mail order, like TTI did with the TurboGrafx. There were so many games that were pretty much done that it's a really short sighted business decision that they didn't do that.

Are you saying the PS2 or Dreamcast didn't have any good games for a year? With PS2, I agree, the first game on PS2 that was truly classic was MGS2 imo, while Dreamcast had not only an excellent launch lineup but some of its strongest titles in the first year.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Its not a fanboy, its the fact that SEGA was rather unfairly getting a rep for bringing out consoles early and then dumping them and moving onto its next system and also the fact that the DC was never going to come to the West until 1999, so SEGA America was going to lose millions anyway even if did nothing with no games for much of 97 to 99. Sure all new software and PR support needed to be directed at the DC and its plans, but SEGA America could have brought the 4 Meg Cart over and a select few top AAA Saturn games, which were already getting high prise in Japan and most didn't need huge translation jobs ... please the faithful show support and also get some press and good review in gaming Mags. Bringing over Metal Slug, X-Men Vs Street Fighter, RSG, Grandia, Dead Or Alive , Princess Crown would do your cause a lot better than signing up the likes of Courier Crisis.

You wouldn't even had to spend much on PR for those games as the Saturn core gamer would already know about these games and wouldn't need to be told to buy them, if translated into English and it would have been nice to see Saturn games getting some nice coverage in gaming mags and I'm sure Grandia could have sold 200,000 copies on the Saturn on the back off FF 7 hype . Doing all that would have cost SEGA a few million, say 5 to 7 million, but on the back of that you would have a lot of goodwill and SEGA showing it backs the people who buy its consoles and also showed off some games that outperformed the PS
    What does Sega bringing out all of those games accomplish? Do you honestly think Sega would've sold 200K of Grandia in the US?
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

Framemeister Expert Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner Tower of Power's Avatar

What does Sega bringing out all of those games accomplish? Do you honestly think Sega would've sold 200K of Grandia in the US?
    It would have built some consumer confidence showing that Sega doesn't abandon their hardware, which they had a reputation for especially after the 32X.

Quote Originally Posted by Tower of Power View Post
    It would have built some consumer confidence showing that Sega doesn't abandon their hardware, which they had a reputation for especially after the 32X.
    But NONE of that had any effect of the US sales of the DC which sold 500K in 2 weeks.

It would have shown SEGA cared about the consumer and how SEGA brings out new systems early only to dump them latter on and look to bring out another system. Yes with all the FF 7 hype and the world going ape over RPGs. I'm sure SEGA could have sold 200,000 copies of the game in the USA and Europe more so as the Saturn fan was starved of quality software at that time in the West . I genunailly spoke to Rich (of SEGA Saturn Mag) about it and he was told by Sega Europe that GameArts wanted 1.5 million for the translation rights and code, becasue at that time SEGA Europe were hugly keen on bringing the game to Europe for Easter 98 but the costs were too high for them on their own.

What ever SEGA did in the west it was going to lose money, you still have to pay the staff only with no games to sale and it would have at least given the translation staff some work to do
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

But NONE of that had any effect of the US sales of the DC which sold 500K in 2 weeks.
    It did many just bought the DC as short-term fix before the PS2 came out and many didn't think that SEGA would stick with the DC for the long run.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Capcom USA fully intended to bring X-Men vs. Street Fighter to the US. But they wanted Sega to handle the RAM cart, and Bernie Stolar said no dice. Yet another instance of Bernie intentionally putting no effort into the Saturn because he was in a hurry to have the system dead and over with.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Thread Information