Quantcast

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it really worth having a Sega CD?

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

I agree that not all games on the system are good. I personally think most of them suck.
    the sega-CD has a really outstanding library, if you know where to look - such an underappreciated system

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by IrishNinja View Post
    the sega-CD has a really outstanding library, if you know where to look - such an underappreciated system
    Totally agree. The Mega CD is a truly underappreciated system.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert OmegaMax's Avatar

I also Agree

I can see where you guys are coming from. They are good games on the system for sure. I would suggest looking at the library though and let's compare to the genesis. The genesis has a much larger library so I'm looking more at percentages. For me, the Sega CD has a complete hit or miss library; it's really good or really bad. Titles you all might argue are in the middle are ports that are on a ton of other systems so owning the hardware for a mid-grade port seems about useless unless it is the superior version of the game. There are few games I would put in the middle other than those. For the genesis, there is probably a similar percentage of good games, but there is a large percentage in the middle. When I say the library kind of sucks, it's for that reason; however, this is nowhere near the 32x library. I feel that library can't justly be defended (though I'm sure one, if not more, people will try).
    Last edited by nieds16; 03-07-2018 at 10:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I don't agree SOR played fine and just had improved sound effect.
    I'm not saying it can't be played. It can easily be played, but the time is off. The sound is the killer. Why would I play a game that makes my ears want to bleed when I can get the worst model of the genesis and it would still sound better on a cartridge. I expected better audio quality and sound effects from the sega cd, not worse.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

What do you mean exactly regarding the 'time was off'? Lag on button presses? I had the game as part of the PAL Arcade Classics disc or whatever it was called but I don't recall this.

Not that it got much of a look in since SOR1 was old hat by then after owning the cart since release.

Quote Originally Posted by OverDrone View Post
    What do you mean exactly regarding the 'time was off'? Lag on button presses? I had the game as part of the PAL Arcade Classics disc or whatever it was called but I don't recall this.

Not that it got much of a look in since SOR1 was old hat by then after owning the cart since release.
    My apologies. I can see where that can be misunderstood. The timing for when characters are activated or certain events happen is what I would be referring to. I've played this game hundreds of times on the genesis so it was very apparent to me.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Ah, okay, I get ya! Load times... I thought the Mega CD versions loaded the whole game into RAM though?

Ah, okay, I get ya! Load times... I thought the Mega CD versions loaded the whole game into RAM though?
    I honestly don't know.

It's almost imperceptible to be honest. I do think that it is ever so slightly slower than the cart version, which I've played to death since childhood, but now that you're actually asking us to pin it down to something specific, I don't know...maybe it's all in our head, Nieds.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    It's almost imperceptible to be honest. I do think that it is ever so slightly slower than the cart version, which I've played to death since childhood, but now that you're actually asking us to pin it down to something specific, I don't know...maybe it's all in our head, Nieds.
    Unfortunately I sold my copy a couple of years back or I would play both and make a list. I agree with you as I felt like there was some slow down. If memory serves me correctly, I believe there are delays after each section when you are allowed to go further right. It's like you are just waiting then it finally loads.

Quote Originally Posted by nieds16 View Post
    Unfortunately I sold my copy a couple of years back or I would play both and make a list. I agree with you as I felt like there was some slow down. If memory serves me correctly, I believe there are delays after each section when you are allowed to go further right. It's like you are just waiting then it finally loads.
    I own both versions so the next chance I get I will try to pin it down by comparison...if I can!
    Last edited by Mega Drive Bowlsey; 03-10-2018 at 04:12 PM.

Please do. I will be interested to hear what you think when you are doing a direct side-by-side comparison. Again, get to one of those street hookers that ducks down and you can't hit her. The sound will make your ears bleed.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Nintari's Avatar

If you have a lot of disposable income or enjoy FMV games, like I do, then yes... it's more than worth it. Most of the best games are uber expensive though and that's why I said you need a lot of disposable income. Snatcher, for instance, is ridiculous on Ebay. I was going to look into Shinning Force after reading about it but once I saw the price tag I was like... nope.

I'm sure one day I'll get around to owning them but it's going to take awhile lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Nintari View Post
    If you have a lot of disposable income or enjoy FMV games, like I do, then yes... it's more than worth it. Most of the best games are uber expensive though and that's why I said you need a lot of disposable income. Snatcher, for instance, is ridiculous on Ebay. I was going to look into Shinning Force after reading about it but once I saw the price tag I was like... nope.

I'm sure one day I'll get around to owning them but it's going to take awhile lol.
    I completely agree. I've built myself quite a decent selection of Mega CD titles but Snatcher still eludes me. I've been wanting it for years now but can't justify the price it commands. I'm prepared to pay high to get my hands on a very good condition PAL copy, but I'm not prepared to pay 200+ type high!

Thread Information