Quantcast

Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

Thread: The Year 2100

Wow, this thread got deep

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    The problem is that the 'developing world' never develops. It's been stuck in a permanent state of chaos and starvation, especially in Africa, for decades and no-matter how much money from charitable contributions pours in from developed countries nothing ever changes due to industrial scale corruption that riddles the 'governments' of developing nations. Meanwhile people keep breeding and children keep starving...the whole thing is a complete mess.
    This is gonna make me seem like a total asshole, but I stopped donating to charities like Wateraid, Actionaid etc a while back because I noticed that regardless of how much money was donated, nothing actually changes in those parts of the world. If there was an obvious end point where someone said: "right guys, if we had another $2 billion we could solve the problem" then I would be happy to donate. But it doesn't matter how much money is given, nothing seems to change, and they always want more money, partly due to corruption as you mentioned.

With regard to overpopulation, there isn't an easy solution. Sterilisation and Logan's Run seem to be the obvious alternatives that come to mind. I hope that one day people just learn that water shortages, food shortages and overcrowding are no fun and couples instead decide to be a little more careful if they have children. Maybe my silly post about using a Cherry 2000 was actually the answer? With a robot you can have all the fun with none of the children.
    Last edited by Mad Moham; 02-15-2018 at 10:33 AM.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I'm sort of with you on the charity front, I only donate to my local food bank once or twice a year. This wayI know that someone will eat what I've given, and not embezzle away into a slush fund or (as recently) get their rocks off with the local exploited sex workers on my donation.

I give to beggars, I know they can spend their money directly on whatever it is they need to get them by, be it food, coffee or more realistically drugs or booze.

I think we're looking at a First Contact or Armageddon type scenario being the only thing that can get humanity together, we won't do it alone.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    This is gonna make me seem like a total asshole, but I stopped donating to charities like Wateraid, Actionaid etc a while back because I noticed that regardless of how much money was donated, nothing actually changes in those parts of the world. If there was an obvious end point where someone said: "right guys, if we had another $2 billion we could solve the problem" then I would be happy to donate. But it doesn't matter how much money is given, nothing seems to change, and they always want more money, partly due to corruption as you mentioned.
    Yea developing countries don't just have bad luck that money will magically fix, they have to change their ways.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    I give to beggars, I know they can spend their money directly on whatever it is they need to get them by, be it food, coffee or more realistically drugs or booze.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Ah yes, those third world 'shitholes'. Yes, yes, it's terrible isn't it?

So, they started the game with -99999999999999 mesetas, but they need money for monomates, antidotes, equipment... nothing fancy ( Laconia is out of the question, so a simple armor will do ) in order to survive. In order to do that, they need to borrow money from the Banker's Guild, which makes them even more indebted, because interest taxes are enormous and the party doesn't make enough money slaying bio-monsters and saving Myaus from tree tops to pay them back, so their (public) debt explodes, because according to the rules of the game, paying money back to the bank takes precedence to trivial stuff like eating, resting or cloning poor old Hugh so he can come back to life.

So in the end, they are once again enslaved by pretty much the same people that left them in that situation to begin with. The "only way out" leaves you right where they started!

Man, Phantasy Star the 3rd is HARD. Someone ought to hack this game in order to make it more fair...

But perhaps centuries of colonization, slavery and plundering of their resources can be solved by Bill, Melinda & Bono. A fundraiser concert might be a good start.

Hey remember that time when Churchill made India starve to death? Those were crazy times and it's good that stuff like that doesn't happen anymore...

overpopulation
    You know, my family was quite big back in the good ole days. My aunt Marcia used to make this huge meat loaf and it smelled delicious, I tell you.
    We were around 40 or so people, but that thing was more than enough to feed us all.

Unfortunately, she wasn't a very nice lady and used to give the biggest share of the pie to only five or six of her favorites family members ( I suspect that aunt Marcia was a crazy bigot ), leaving the rest of us with only a few pieces and a lot of crumbles.

Yeah, I know that it wasn't fair but you wouldn't want to risk pissing off her drunkard son and his .38 caliber. It doesn't really matters who is right or what is fair, when someone has enough firepower to blow your head off.

Well, at least there were some cookies around!
    Last edited by Bottino; 02-14-2018 at 08:37 PM.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Wow, this thread got deep, reminds me of when I was a member of Necrotic Obsession forum (that was a goth forum back in the day, because I am a weirdo goth afterall).

With regard to overpopulation, there isn't an easy solution. Sterilisation and Logan's Run seem to be the obvious alternatives that come to mind. I hope that one day people just learn that water shortages, food shortages and overcrowding are no fun and couples instead decide to be a little more careful if they have children. Maybe my silly post about using a Cherry 2000 was actually the answer? With a robot you can have all the fun with none of the children.

Sam makes a good point.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Wildside Expert EternalChampion's Avatar

If you had a few billion dollars went to a really crappy part of Africa, and tried to develop a fully functional city that was self sustaining, whoever was in charge of that land and people would kill you.

I think that was sort of the point Kinison was making. The lives of those people isn't going to change unless you move them.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

See I don't buy into the whole "Africa is how it is because of white colonialism" argument. Africa is and always has been a very rich continent with fantastic reserves of natural resources. I find it incredible that the people of Africa never used those resources and great wealth over time to build up fantastic civilizations that should have been well capable of defending themselves against white colonialism. Apart from a handful of ancient African kingdoms, as a people they, for the most part, never developed beyond the stone age. This is never really discussed today because it's deemed racist to even point it out. As controversial as it may sound, the problem with Africa is Africa.

How the hell did we get on to this?! Oh yeah, the planet being overcrowded, I remember now...

See I don't buy into the whole "Africa is how it is because of white colonialism" argument. Africa is and always has been a very rich continent with fantastic reserves of natural resources. I find it incredible that the people of Africa never used those resources and great wealth over time to build up fantastic civilizations that should have been well capable of defending themselves against white colonialism. Apart from a handful of ancient African kingdoms, as a people they, for the most part, never developed beyond the stone age. This is never really discussed today because it's deemed racist to even point it out. As controversial as it may sound, the problem with Africa is Africa.

How the hell did we get on to this?! Oh yeah, the planet being overcrowded, I remember now...
    The Egyptians were that civilization. The problem was that they only knew how to deal with what was on their continent, until men on boats came along with tools of war. Still, what happens in Egypt is totally different than that of the desert regions that had no resources to advance; they have and always will be filled with poverty and famine.

Nice to see the banhammer in use again.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    Nice to see the banhammer in use again.
    I don't think the ban was for anything that appeared in this thread. It was most likely because of a post in the Paprium thread in which it was decided that bringing someone's mother into a discussion was a good idea. Its never a good idea, but now he has time to reflect on that.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

And BonusKun's hand slipped and it became 6 months, if only his hand had slipped with Thief..

I don't think the ban was for anything that appeared in this thread. It was most likely because of a post in the Paprium thread in which it was decided that bringing someone's mother into a discussion was a good idea. Its never a good idea, but now he has time to reflect on that.
    I guessed as much, I always check out the last few posts!

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

EternalChampion wasn't even a poster, it was just a dedicated troll account belonging to.. someone who once had problems here I guess.

Raging in the Streets EclecticGroove's Avatar

The problem is the white colonials are the ones that came in to exploit the natural resources.
    Not that there were none there beforehand, but once colonialism came into the picture it removed their ability to simply "do it themselves".
    That doesn't mean they would have been able to effectively do it if they never had to deal with colonialism, but at this point it's impossible to tell.

Thread Information