Quantcast

Thread: Thinking of buying an OC'd MD2 had a couple of questions

Death Adder's minion

Default Thinking of buying an OC'd MD2 had a couple of questions

Hi everyone, i've been a long time reader and occasional poster on this site and just had a few questions, I was thinking of buying this:
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sega-Meg...8AAOSwXtNaYkcs
    Mostly to play Zero Tolerance, Bloodshot and some of the flight sims at an increased frame rate.
    As it is a console only and from the UK (I am in Australia) I was wondering if I needed a power supply from the UK or would a Aus power supply work?
    Was also wondering are there any precautions i need to take, like is it safe to switch frequency mid game, i've read something about halting and switching and don't really understand?
    Thanks!

Hero of Algol

Hi! Welcome to Sega-16!

Zero Tolerance is an awesome game IMO.

About your questions:
    1) I think your PSU will fit, no problem, as long as it's for a MD II as well.
    2) You have to halt the processor to be able to change its clock on-the-fly without crashing the games. But you can also power up the system already in the overclock setting for most games with no issue. People tend to use the on-the-fly clock change for testing/comparison purposes.
    3) This list may be helpful to you and your possible contribution to that thread would be very positive: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...atibility-List

It's usually better to go for first model MDs (especially the VA5/VA6 revisions) if you want to go deep with overclocking. But, as long as the mod has been well implemented, the MD II should be fine with 10 MHz clock for most games.

Death Adder's minion

Thanks heaps!
    Yeah I always enjoyed Zero Tolerance, very impressive for a MD game!
    Haha that thread is what actually inspired me to do a quick ebay search for an overclocked MD.
    I don't really have a desire to go 'deep' into overclocking, happy to just have something that plays things a bit smoother. If there are no major advantages to the MD1 i'll probably pick this up come next payday, unless anyone on the forum has a Model 1 for sale
    Edit: One other follow up question, is there anything I should;d ask the seller before purchase just to be safe?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    Edit: One other follow up question, is there anything I should;d ask the seller before purchase just to be safe?
    I would ask which revision of the model 2 it is. (VA0, VA1, VA1.8, VA2, VA2.3, VA3, VA4). Audio and video quality varies a lot between different revisions.
    Check out this page for more info: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-from-bad-ones

Also, check out this page with info on which games work best with overclocking and which have issues.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...atibility-List
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Gold Gamer Goati Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Goati's Avatar

Nice list Comrade, have been looking for something like that.
    I've always been curious about how would Slime World play on an overclocked console.

Twitch partner at twitch.tv/goati_

I livestream different systems and Japanese exclusives with some language competence.
    Since 2014, though, I carry on the Megamarathon project which beats and documents, with in-depth research, every single Mega Drive videogame.

Thread Information