Quantcast

Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314151622 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 584

Thread: DVD Dreamcast / Sega Master System wasn't that big of a seller.

  1. #166
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    6,464
    Rep Power
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    Dude, the Master System was barely existent in the U.S. and even less in Canada. You shouldn't be so surprised I didn't know about the console for so long.

    And you think systems like the Sharp 68000, Fm Towns were widespread, never mind the PC Eng any of which were ever brought out the UK and were only covered in the UK. Just because a system sells like crap or never brought out officaly doesn't mean one doesn't know about it. You had magazine and TV coverage of the Master system inthe USA.
    The Nomad sold like crap, was never brought to Japan or Japan, but I would bet many SEGA fans outside the USA knew of its and about it.
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 02-28-2018 at 04:11 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  2. #167
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    6,464
    Rep Power
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Talmit View Post
    Well, that's not true. And the story noted in the youtube vid is only describing someone's ignorant impression 10 years after the Master System was out.
    The Master System had prime-time television commercials and print ads, especially showing off the 3D glasses and lightgun. The Master System had shelf space at all the major retailers: Kay-B Toys, Sears, Kmart, Toys R Us. Even up to a couple years after Genesis' launch Master System games were right there next to the Genesis games at Toys R Us and other stores.
    It obviously wasn't the most popular but it wasn't some unknown system to gamers in the later 80's to early 90's. Sure if someone only became aware of Sega in 1997 or whatever, maybe Master System would seem non-existent.
    Well said and isn't that just the trouble, so many of the SEGA Mega Drive die hards weren't even born when the 1st came out and only see to LOVE it because it sold well, all other SEGA system they don't care about becasue they sold like crap.. I also tire of these so-called gaming historians with their huge Ebay collection in the background, talking utter nonsense on various Youtube channels jumping on the retro bandwagon.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  3. #168
    Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,445
    Rep Power
    40

    Default

    ^Lol, why are you so insistent that SMS had a presence in the US? I didn't read the whole thread, so did I miss something about why you're insisting this, from another country?

    (Also, just wondering, what country are you in?)

  4. #169
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,371
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    The Sega Master System had virtually no presence in the US and I've already explained why. There seems to be some strange argument going on that perhaps it did...when it didn't. The Master System was known and loved in Europe and Australia. In the US all anybody knew of was the NES and it took the Genesis to change that.

  5. #170
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    4,117
    Rep Power
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Well said and isn't that just the trouble, so many of the SEGA Mega Drive die hards weren't even born when the 1st came out and only see to LOVE it because it sold well, all other SEGA system they don't care about becasue they sold like crap.. I also tire of these so-called gaming historians with their huge Ebay collection in the background, talking utter nonsense on various Youtube channels jumping on the retro bandwagon.
    Why are you talking shit about a guy you barely know. Adam Koralik is 31, thats well within the age of people who played Genesis in its prime. He actually debated between getting a 32X and a PS1 in 1995.

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    (Also, just wondering, what country are you in?)
    He lives in the Kingdom thats United

    Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    The Sega Master System had virtually no presence in the US and I've already explained why. There seems to be some strange argument going on that perhaps it did...when it didn't. The Master System was known and loved in Europe and Australia. In the US all anybody knew of was the NES and it took the Genesis to change that.
    These guys are butthurt about that fact for some reason, but its true. The Master System was not a success in North America, with 2 million consoles sold. How much did the NES sell in North America? 34 million.

    If you grew up in North America, then 8-bit = NES. I've never seen a 7800 in my life, I've never even seen a Master System in my life, although I was shocked to see my local pawn shop has 4-5 Master System games.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  6. #171
    Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    2,445
    Rep Power
    40

    Default

    Well SMS was apparently more successful in the UK, Europe etc. so maybe he just assumes that it must have been similar in the US? At this point I'm just curious why he keeps insisting it had a presence here lol.

  7. #172
    The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    1999
    Posts
    5,519
    Rep Power
    71

    Master System

    Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    I've never even seen a Master System in my life,
    I can fix that. A SEGA Master System in the US playing some robot game on a real SMS controller. I like how SMS carts fit so well and print local video game store business cards.


    Life!? ... What console is that on?

    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99


  8. #173
    Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Vice City
    Posts
    2,256
    Rep Power
    56

    Master System

    quotes are all borked for me but here goes, since we're continuing this pedantry

    They did. You said so yourself just 5 hours ago:
    right, you missed where i said that was like the one newer title they'd had in ages
    i looked high & low for stuff like ultima, king's quest etc, never saw them or any of the many genesis ports/conversions that came later. the system was effectively dead long before that, and again, i live in a major city

    The print reviews were "here & there" because Master System software was at a trickle. The magazines covered what games were coming out.
    Sure there were tons of people that didn't know the system existed. But any serious gamer of the day certainly knew it existed (or even anyone who was conscious and went to a Toys R Us videogame aisle in the late 80s.)
    you're kidding yourself if you thought most gaming mags weren't a niche at that point in time.
    nevermind that the lynx, 3DO, jaguar, CD-I etc got "covered" by some mags, that doesn't change the fact the vast majority of folks didn't notice those systems coming or going.

    I'm not even sure what you guys are debating here. Yes, if you were a serious gamer who read all the magazines of the day and were in the loop as to which companies were doing what in the US then yes, you would have been aware of the Master System when it launched. However, if you were a casual gamer who relied on word of mouth from friends and relatives to keep you up to date then no, you probably would not have been aware at all of the console's existence.
    exactly

    Everyone who bought a Genesis in the first couple yeas got advertisements for the Power Base convertor and Master System games. How is it barely existent and unknown.
    None of the 100s of thousands of people who bought the Genesis in the first year or two ever looked at the back of the box?
    an advertisement doesn't magically put software back on the shelves, nevermind the fact that by the time most folks bought a genesis (sonic bundle) there was likely no mention of the SMS - ill check my box tonight though

    Well SMS was apparently more successful in the UK, Europe etc. so maybe he just assumes that it must have been similar in the US? At this point I'm just curious why he keeps insisting it had a presence here lol.
    oh hell yeah, ive seen their mags! ive also heard you could rent SMS games out there, damn that must've been crazy to see. similarly, i was in australia years back and heard/saw like stories, ditto with my time in south america. the US effectively didn't know sega existed till the genesis.


  9. #174
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    You guys are fucking retards.

    Phantasy Star
    Wonder Boy III
    Power Base Converter
    early Genesis promo offers for free Master System games

    You want to address those Master System issues and how they had no presence and didn't exist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    The Sega Master System had virtually no presence in the US and I've already explained why. There seems to be some strange argument going on that perhaps it did...when it didn't. The Master System was known and loved in Europe and Australia. In the US all anybody knew of was the NES and it took the Genesis to change that.
    Is there an argument?
    I've stated a number of facts and asked a number of questions.
    Do you dispute that there were nationally televised advertisements for the Master System?
    Do you dispute that the Power Base Converter was highlighted directly on the Genesis box?
    Do you dispute that Master System games were dsiplayed on flip cards right along side Genesis games at ToysR Us stores?
    How did Phantasy Star become a cult classic if the console it was on was non-existent in stores and homes? And Wonder Boy III?

    Anyhow being from the from the UK, how did you come to be an expert on the status of the Master System in the US? ..from reading "games journalism"?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    ^Lol, why are you so insistent that SMS had a presence in the US
    What are you reading? Did someone insist it had a presence? It existed, was stocked in stores, and was advertised, that's all I've been saying. TeamAndomeda hasn't suggested anything more I don't think. However, a couple of you guys have insisted it virtually didn't exist or however you're phrasing it, and that isn't true.
    Last edited by Prince Talmit; 02-28-2018 at 09:53 PM.

  10. #175
    The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    1999
    Posts
    5,519
    Rep Power
    71

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Talmit View Post
    You guys are fucking retards.

    Phantasy Star
    Wonder Boy III
    Power Base Converter
    early Genesis promo offers for free Master System games

    You want to address those Master System issues and how they had no presence and didn't exist?


    Is there an argument?
    I've stated a number of facts and asked a number of questions.
    Do you dispute that there were nationally televised advertisements for the Master System?
    Do you dispute that the Power Base Converter was highlighted directly on the Genesis box?
    Do you dispute that Master System games were dsiplayed on flip cards right along side Genesis games at ToysR Us stores?
    How did Phantasy Star become a cult classic if the console it was on was non-existent in stores and homes? And Wonder Boy III?

    Anyhow being from the from the UK, how did you come to be an expert on the status of the Master System in the US? ..from reading "games journalism"?


    What are you reading? Did someone insist it had a presence? It existed, was stocked in stores, and was advertised, that's all I've been saying. TeamAndomeda hasn't suggested anything more I don't think. However, a couple of you guys have insisted it virtually didn't exist or however you're phrasing it, and that isn't true.

    Flamebaiting and throwing insults. Reported and put on ignore. It's clear you are butthurt over facts and dont want to listen to anyone. Done with you.

    Life!? ... What console is that on?

    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99


  11. #176
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Posts
    324
    Rep Power
    15

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Flamebaiting and throwing insults. Reported and put on ignore. It's clear you are butthurt over facts and dont want to listen to anyone. Done with you.
    Yeah I saw you're the type of person to use the phrase "butt hurt".
    You never presented any facts, only your hyperbole that you think if fact

    And Ecco and MDBowsley are infuriating retards, what with pretending there is an argument insisting the Master System was something that it was not.
    Can either of them quote me or TA to show where this supposed argument is?

    and this guy, another "butt hurter"
    Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    These guys are butthurt about that fact for some reason, but its true. The Master System was not a success in North America, with 2 million consoles sold. How much did the NES sell in North America? 34 million.
    If you grew up in North America, then 8-bit = NES. I've never seen a 7800 in my life, I've never even seen a Master System in my life, although I was shocked to see my local pawn shop has 4-5 Master System games.
    Everyone is in agreement that the Master System was not a success. Why are you now pretending that is the issue?

    I'm really not exaggerating when I saw the Master System was as well known in the US as the Xavix Port. In KB Toys, Toys R Us, Sears and all the largest retailers at the time you never saw Master System anything. No games, no systems no accessories in sight.
    Those aren't facts kid.

    You haven't been able to respond to what I've asked. Sure put me on ignore.
    Last edited by Prince Talmit; 02-28-2018 at 10:16 PM.

  12. #177
    The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    1999
    Posts
    5,519
    Rep Power
    71

    Default

    Since someone is on ignore it's easy to ignore the bullshit this topic has last few pages. I thought to look at these while the subject is about Dreamcast and DVD. I applaud SEGA for getting away from the horrid PAL/US Saturn cases and going standard CD Jewel case (but still sucks to replace for multi-disc games and the PAL ones are shit aside from the nice blue) I do wish SEGA went with the standard DVD case. Some of you may have seen these on eBay. Personally, think the clear case is best but the point is, would have been neat if this is how they looked.


    Life!? ... What console is that on?

    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99


  13. #178
    Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    British Columbia
    Posts
    4,117
    Rep Power
    67

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    Well SMS was apparently more successful in the UK, Europe etc. so maybe he just assumes that it must have been similar in the US? At this point I'm just curious why he keeps insisting it had a presence here lol.
    Sega dominated PAL land until the PS1

    Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    I can fix that. A SEGA Master System in the US playing some robot game on a real SMS controller. I like how SMS carts fit so well and print local video game store business cards.

    Did you purposely take a 4:3 picture? good effort

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Talmit View Post
    Anyhow being from the from the UK, how did you come to be an expert on the status of the Master System in the US? ..from reading "games journalism"?
    We North Americans are agreeing with him. What he is saying is what we also believe to be the case

    Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Flamebaiting and throwing insults. Reported and put on ignore. It's clear you are butthurt over facts and dont want to listen to anyone. Done with you.
    Yea the guy finally decided to get nasty. Even when Team Andromeda was trashing Adam Koralik, I tried my best to respond in a mature and civilized way

    Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Since someone is on ignore it's easy to ignore the bullshit this topic has last few pages. I thought to look at these while the subject is about Dreamcast and DVD. I applaud SEGA for getting away from the horrid PAL/US Saturn cases and going standard CD Jewel case (but still sucks to replace for multi-disc games and the PAL ones are shit aside from the nice blue) I do wish SEGA went with the standard DVD case. Some of you may have seen these on eBay. Personally, think the clear case is best but the point is, would have been neat if this is how they looked.

    They look much more modern and 6th-gen oriented than the Dreamcast CD cases. And thats saying something, considering the box art is the exact same.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

  14. #179
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    6,464
    Rep Power
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince Talmit View Post
    Anyhow being from the from the UK, how did you come to be an expert on the status of the Master System in the US? ..from reading "games journalism"?

    .
    WE live inthe world of Google and Youtube and what they say goes, more so from so-called Retro gaming fans on YouTube. Of coruse the Master system had a presence in the USA, you also didn't need to holiday in the USA or read S-Mag in the Uk to know that . Most Master system Pal carts actually used their USA Packaging hence why we had CSK and the likes of SEGA customers Services 573 Forbes Blvd, San Francisco dispalyed on the back of Pal carts and if that wasn't a give away, even the Pal flyers would list the various Master system games coming out in 'Fall'. How American do you want it.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

  15. #180
    ESWAT Veteran Team Andromeda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    6,464
    Rep Power
    74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    . Even when Team Andromeda was trashing Adam Koralik, I tried my best to respond in a mature and civilized way
    Hardly trashing, I just tire so-called fans going on YouTube with their eBay collection inthe Background. I give credit to HappyConsoleGammer, not only was he was of the 1st to do this (only he didn't need ebay it was his own) But just by the way he talks and recollects, You can tell he bought and played the games and systems he talked about, back in the day.
    I wasn't a PC-Eng fan, it never came out in the UK but out of being into gaming back in the day and reading Mags like CVG one knew of various other gaming systems, even if they had a tiny presence or none at all in the UK, same for systems like Magnavox Odyssey or even add ons like the Famicom Disc Drive.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •