Quantcast

Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast

Thread: DVD Dreamcast / Sega Master System wasn't that big of a seller.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Man I literally hadn't looked into this thread but I can see some serious heated discussion. I'll keep it simple. Keep the name calling off the board and I won't intervene. Also I partly have a dog in this race so let me tell you from my experience. The Sega Master System while it was out in the U.S. had little to no market presence compared to Nintendo at the time. This is a fact for me and many other people who lived in the U.S. during the 80s. Sure you might have seen one at a random Toys r Us store and whatnot but most of the advertising out there was for the NES. I knew of one guy who owned one years ago back then and I played Alex Kidd on the system.

I loved it and felt the quality of the games I played were better then the NES but yeah Nintendo had a huge cock-hold on the market at that time so the SMS was something most people were like, "Is this another Nintendo system?".

It sucked but back then before the internet existed, Sega was fighting a serious uphill battle.
    You'd walk into Block Buster and maybe see a half dozen Master System carts for rent covered in dust. Meanwhile, there would be 2 isle shelves full of NES games to rent.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

Master System games in Blockbuster rental stores would be considered "a presence", would it not?
    The crux here was never about NES vs Master System, was it? It was about 2 or 3 guys saying no one knew it existed.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

I have said we had a card to literally every store in the valley that rented movies. We rented movies by the truckload every week. None of them from the smaller stores to Blockbuster carried anything but NES until Genesis in the valley. Also, no one is not meant to be taken so literal to the letter. But it actually didn't exist to most kids of the era. If a website does not show up in Google search results it may as well not exist. The same thing was if you didn't see it in SEARS or Toys R us or in my case Lionel Playworld at the time it may as well not exist. Explaining this to non-US people seems to be like trying to drill a hole into a brick wall with a sewing needle. Game Gear wasn't wildly successful but it got a space in rental stores plus was in couple US films of the era. Game Gear had a fairly aggressive US commercial run. In typical SEGA fashion, you were stupid id you played Nintendo or um. slooooooooooow. Like the kid who kits himself in the head with a dead squirrel so he can see color on his Game Boy. I also remember the one with a guy playing his Genesis on a plane with a long extension cord. Game Gear may as well been the rebirth of SMS in America. I think price and Batt life killed it. In 1996 going into a Software etc and they had a tiny GG section. Games were really cheap. Saturn while few had it at least was in Toys R Us demo stations like Virtua Boy, N64, SNES, Genesis and PS1 all at once. Game Peddler my store of choice then sold Saturn stuff so people knew it existed but PS1 and N64 were just cheaper. I remember buying SNES stuff from Game Peddler in 1998 when I finally got a SNES and they carried retro stuff. Just no SMS. Some TG16.

These days in my local retro shops, everything is there. Even had a chance to play a Bally Astrocade and a Magnavox Odyssey. I don't think people outside the US realize how big and how much of a negative impact the crash of 83 was. It was the Stockmarket crash of 1929 for gaming.As mentioned before no store wanted to sell NES at first..video games were something to stay far far away from. NES only got into SEARS (Amazon of the era) with the help of Ruxbin and Nintendo did not market it as a video games machine. There isn't any more that can be said. You didn't live here. I also don't get why this fact offends some people. How can anyone be offended by this? is this why the masses shit on today's youth because they truly do act offended at everything? Yeah sure seems like it.
    Last edited by Leynos; 03-02-2018 at 12:47 AM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Game Gear

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    No one is saying Nintendo were not doniminat, I mean they had like 90% of Japan, SEGA were nowhere even outsold horribly by NEC, but gamers in Japan would still have known of the MS. In my school all the talk was of the ZX Spectrum, but in various mags, one would read about the Apple II even if it was nowhere in sales in the UK.

People heard of the 3D0 in the USA right, even if itís sales werenít even in the half a million units inthe US, compared to the MS sales of nearly 2 million there , some would have heard of the CDi even As a kid I remember reading about Lazer Disc or Betamax even if in the UK at least, VHS was completely killing them both for sales.
    I'm basically concluding that people outside the US just don't understand the 80's and 90's in the US for videogames. No offense or whatever.

The other consoles mentioned (3DO and CDi) I remember reading about, but that is AFTER the NES era, when 16-bit etc. started to take off.

It went from NES only, to the 16-bit "console wars" of SNES vs. Genesis. That's the 80's and 90's experience in the US.

If it helps to explain, we also never heard of ZX Spectrum or Apple II. I seriously don't even know what they are right now lol (unless I Google-search them). I guess other countries did not experience the same monoculture of NES until the 16-bit era.

Like I said earlier, the Game Gear had the most popularity in the US, and it shows that practically no one knew the SMS existed, or else the Game Gear would not have been possible to host those same 8-bit games. The Game Gear games seemed new because nobody knew about SMS.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Well, I heard plenty of Apple II because they were everywhere in my schools. I played a lot of Oregon Trail on them.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Hardly would have helped IMO. No DVD playback, not much more storage and huge more cost to develop and to put on the DC. It was not like the GameCube did well its self either .
    A ton more storage. A clone DVD could have 4.7 GBs vs 1.2 GB GD-ROM. Yea the GameCube didn't do very good, thats because they went with a clone MiniDVD instead of a normal DVD for some strange reason.

Even if Sega had the money to keep the system going past 2000, it wasn't gonna last because it had gimped storage space like the GameCube. It was a stopgap system.

People heard of the 3D0 in the USA right, even if itís sales werenít even in the half a million units inthe US, compared to the MS sales of nearly 2 million there , some would have heard of the CDi even As a kid I remember reading about Lazer Disc or Betamax even if in the UK at least, VHS was completely killing them both for sales.
    Well I think people in the US even heard about the Jaguar more than the SMS, and that thing bombed hard. The SMS suffered from poor marketing and poor sales, while some other systems only suffered from 1 of those factors. But that doesn't mean as many people were aware of the Jaguar as much as the PS1 or N64.

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    You'd walk into Block Buster and maybe see a half dozen Master System carts for rent covered in dust. Meanwhile, there would be 2 isle shelves full of NES games to rent.
    That reminds me of something. My local grocery store has a complete isle wall consisting of only Casa Mendosa tortillas because they are in such huge demand. They kinda got that NES monopoly with tortillas.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    There isn't any more that can be said. You didn't live here. I also don't get why this fact offends some people. How can anyone be offended by this? is this why the masses shit on today's youth because they truly do act offended at everything? Yeah sure seems like it.
    And I don't get why they are offended. Nintendo use illegal practices to win. It wasn't fair and square.

We can keep dancing around the subject, but at the end of the day:

North American total sales:

NES: 34 million

SMS: 2 million
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I'm not from the US and yet I understand how the game scene was over there in the late 80's just fine. There pretty much was no Sega until the launch of the Genesis, and even then it took it a couple of years to find it's feet. I'm bored at work and the fact that this is still being debated in a thread about hypothetical Dreamcast DVD drives has given me a laugh, so thanks guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    A ton more storage. A clone DVD could have 4.7 GBs vs 1.2 GB GD-ROM. Yea the GameCube didn't do very good, thats because they went with a clone MiniDVD instead of a normal DVD for some strange reason.
    Storage wasn't really an issue of the DC and its not like having DVD made the XBox sell up there with the PS2 or where is had games that weren't possible on the Cube.

Yes you can but I love the way you leave out systems like the Jaguar, CDi, 3DO even the Turbo Grafx, Neo Geo . You keep bangging on about sales and if a system doesn't sell then it isn't covered or people don't know of it . People heard of the MS-X even though it was never supported in the west, people would have heard of the Atari Lynx the Atari Falcon even if both systems were complety flops
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Prince Talmit's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    And I don't get why they are offended. Nintendo use illegal practices to win. It wasn't fair and square.

We can keep dancing around the subject, but at the end of the day:

How/where is anyone "offended?" Do you know what that word means?

Why are you dancing around the fact this isn't about Nintendo vs Sega?

Anyhow, 2mil sold, include friends, neighbors, and people who saw displays in stores and on TV and in print, but never purchased it.
    So people did know the Master System existed?
    That was what you guys were saying. THAT NO ONE KNEW IT EXISTED.
    Not Master System was not successful.
    Not Nintendo beat Sega.
    Not Sega wasn't successful until Genesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I'm not from the US and yet I understand how the game scene was over there in the late 80's just fine. There until the launch of the Genesis
    Clearly you don't know.
    What is "pretty much was no Sega"?

Quote Originally Posted by Ecco View Post
    I'm basically concluding that people outside the US just don't understand the 80's and 90's in the US for videogames. No offense or whatever.
    Was gaming coverage in the USA so bad that if a system didn't sell or wasn't supported by 3rd parties you never heard of it. You didn't know what the Neo Geo AES system was , didn't know of systems like the Atari Lynx,The MS-X format the Philips CDi or what the PC Eng was. I highly doubt it
    You can try and insult people but you obviously don't know what gaming was like inthe UK. The Crash never happened (buy hey we did read about it) and Nintendo NES did about as well in the UK as the MS in the USA. Nintendo NES couldn't even beat Atari ST for sales, never mind systems like the Zx Spectrum and Master System in Blighty, but the gaming press in the UK covered the NES and other systems like PC Eng, MS-X, Neo Geo, FM Towns hell some even covered the Mac which was nowhere for sales and horrible outclassed for support by PC Dos.

There again the UK has always been the best for gaming journalism and likes to cover what happens in the world.
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 03-02-2018 at 08:51 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Well, I heard plenty of Apple II because they were everywhere in my schools. I played a lot of Oregon Trail on them.
    Remind what were the sales of the Apple II in the USA, compared to the Master System USA or home computers like the C64 in the USA.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Storage wasn't really an issue of the DC and its not like having DVD made the XBox sell up there with the PS2 or where is had games that weren't possible on the Cube.

Yes you can but I love the way you leave out systems like the Jaguar, CDi, 3DO even the Turbo Grafx, Neo Geo . You keep bangging on about sales and if a system doesn't sell then it isn't covered or people don't know of it . People heard of the MS-X even though it was never supported in the west, people would have heard of the Atari Lynx the Atari Falcon even if both systems were complety flops
    Let's be a little real about this. The Jag came way later. The 3DO was a system nobody really knew about other then that insane price tag and the Neo*Geo seriously was a fortune to buy for. The Turbo Graphic system was also pretty uncommon as well. In comparison, Nintendo and Sega during those times were the most well known systems people knew about who weren't gamers. Mom and Dad only really knew of those two because that's all everyone even wanted.

The other systems were for people who were more in the know even if EGM, Gamefan and GamePro covered them slightly.
    05/05/15

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    maybe this was also a regional thing in the us? this often seems very undervalued. for instance in the southern dutch province of brabant nintendo destroyed sega, yet everywhere else in the netherlands it was sega.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

We are talking about long term sustainability. Most PS2 games came out on CDs until 2001, but that doesn't mean the PS2 should've used a CD drive since games weren't taking advantage of DVD storage yet.

And let me tell you. Imagine if the Xbox also used MiniDVDs, would it have sold as much as it did? of course not. 3rd party developers would be belly-aching about having to compress audio, cut scenes, cutting out content, using 2 discs, like they did with GameCube ports.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Talmit View Post
    Well you were calling us retards a couple pages ago because we didn't agree with you.

Not Nintendo beat Sega.
    They coincide with each other. Imagine if the Master System sold as much as the Genesis in North America. 20 Million units. Would there have been more people aware that the Master System existed? absolutely.

Every good-selling console is well known, back in the day, and today. The only exception is the Atari 2600, but thats because that generation was phased out.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Why are you dancing around the fact this isn't about Nintendo vs Sega?

Anyhow, 2mil sold, include friends, neighbors, and people who saw displays in stores and on TV and in print, but never purchased it.
    Not Nintendo beat Sega.

Clearly you don't know.
    What is "pretty much was no Sega"?
    Jesus, is this a thread for people suffering from attention deficit disorder? There is nothing factually wrong with my statement of "There was pretty much no Sega (in the US) until the Genesis." Yes, I know that the Master System existed and was physically sitting on store shelves but it was not a factor and certainly hardly featured even as a blip on either Nintendo's or consumer's radars. The very poor sales of the Master System in the US (certainly in relation to the size of the market) when compared to other regions, specifically Europe and Australia, proves this!
    Last edited by Mega Drive Bowlsey; 03-02-2018 at 10:32 AM.

Thread Information