Quantcast

Page 39 of 39 FirstFirst ... 293536373839

Thread: DVD Dreamcast / Sega Master System wasn't that big of a seller.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    FTFY, I don't ever recall disputing that the Spectrum outsold the C64/CPC464/6128/BBC Micro and every other 8 bit computer under the sun. Go read my previous posts again since I was disputing your distorted view that it had same kind of dominance in the UK as NES did in the US.
    Still waiting for you to prove that the Spectrum had a 94% share of the UK market like you seem to think.
    To be fair, I think if we limited this to the 48k models of Spectrum then it would be accurate to say it dominated, not to the level of 94% obviously, but perhaps as much as 80%+ of the market during specific times, most C64 sales in Britain happened post 1985 IIRC and Amstrad didn't exist until mid 1984'

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

sorry up the topic, but do you know if someone from SEGA went public afterwards, explaining why in fact the console did not have dvd as a media, any interviews? thank you

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    sorry up the topic, but do you know if someone from SEGA went public afterwards, explaining why in fact the console did not have dvd as a media, any interviews? thank you
    I don't have it in front of me but I recall that Stolar said they had a choice. Focus on movie playback or online. They bet on online gaming. Might have been a financial choice really. DVD royalties might be more expensive at the time and drives be more expensive than using their own GDRom.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Outrunner

Probably because when the Dreamcast's specs where locked the DVD had only just launched in Japan. Sega at that point was not going to go back and quickly change over just a year to launch especially when the first Panasonic DVD players that came out were as expensive as the 3DO at launch and an unproven format.

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Takes this for what you will.
    I ask because I no longer remember where I read that the real obstacle to using DVD was that DVD made games themselves more expensive, requiring beautiful FMV, games would be complex to make and that was why they did not use the DVDs as spending on games would be prohibitive

thank you for the link

Outrunner

I ask because I no longer remember where I read that the real obstacle to using DVD was that DVD made games themselves more expensive, requiring beautiful FMV, games would be complex to make and that was why they did not use the DVDs as spending on games would be prohibitive

thank you for the link
    It would have made the hardware more expensive, Sony had the advantage with the PS2 as Sony was part of the DVD consortium and had invested invested in the success of the DVD format where Sony also wanted to use the PS2 kill the VHS and LaserDisc format. Sega would have had to pay a licence to the DVD consortium along with meet their standards for MPEG video playback, it is why Nintendo didn't bother with DVD playback with the Gamecube.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy View Post
    It would have made the hardware more expensive, Sony had the advantage with the PS2 as Sony was part of the DVD consortium and had invested invested in the success of the DVD format where Sony also wanted to use the PS2 kill the VHS and LaserDisc format. Sega would have had to pay a licence to the DVD consortium along with meet their standards for MPEG video playback, it is why Nintendo didn't bother with DVD playback with the Gamecube.

yes, there are two situations involving the dvd one was to use the dvd media the other was to reproduce films, the most expensive was licence to reproduce movies, however it seems that what prevented Sega from producing a proprietary media from 3,5GB to 5GB was that the games would need to have more advanced scopes, it would be as if SEGA needed to make a shenmue for each game, so they chose to use GD so that the games themselves were simpler. Nevertheless the real advantage was in reproducing the movies, SEGA would not achieve this, not in 1998

Master of Shinobi

I don't have it in front of me but I recall that Stolar said they had a choice. Focus on movie playback or online. They bet on online gaming. Might have been a financial choice really. DVD royalties might be more expensive at the time and drives be more expensive than using their own GDRom.
    At the time that was probably a reasonable decision. FMV had fizzled out on CD-ROM based hardware but online gaming looked like the next big thing. Instead it was just the opposite, I knew people who barely played videogames who bought a PS2 for the DVD player.

DVD was the short term right answer. SEGA bet on the right long term answer but they needed something out of the gate and that would have been DVD.

It was the cost of a DVD that was the issue for SEGA they just couldn't afford to take a hit on the DC spec's and also then also massive hit on the price of a DVD drive inside the system.
    Quite a few of SEGA's GD-Rom efforts cost a fortune to produce, same went for PC CD-Rom games. Long after the PS2, most PC Games still used CD-Rom as the cost of a basic DVD Drive (even for a PC) was expensive. So one could see why SEGA had issues over making a DVD drive standard inside the DC. Just because one offers more storage doesn't mean all games cost more to produce. I highly doubt there was a massive budgetary difference between the cost of making a 360 game on DVD to that of making a PS3 game on BluRay.

Speaking of the PC. It's a shame SEGA plans for using the SOC DC hardware inside PC's (not just set-top boxes) never came off.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    I highly doubt there was a massive budgetary difference between the cost of making a 360 game on DVD to that of making a PS3 game on BluRay.

as I said above, I read somewhere but I didn’t keep the source, the DVD wasn’t prohibitive, Sega could have put a DVD drive or even invented a higher capacity GD-ROM, but that would bring two problems, the first is run movies, it would be like the Wii U that has a media as Blu ray but that doesn’t play movies. so Sega realized that it wouldn’t be worth having a DVD or a bigger gd-rom, that would bring an increase in hardware cost but the worst thing would be an increase in the cost of games.
    it's the same cartridge and the cd era, the magazines said that the cd made it cheaper, yes, that's half true, when a game uses the cd with fmv, with better audio, with complex assets, the cost of producing the game get bigger, I believe that the main ps3 games that used blu ray well as MGS4 were more expensive than the average of equivalent games on DVD-DL xbox 360

as I said above, I read somewhere but I didn’t keep the source, the DVD wasn’t prohibitive, Sega could have put a DVD drive or even invented a higher capacity GD-ROM, but that would bring two problems, the first is run movies, it would be like the Wii U that has a media as Blu ray but that doesn’t play movies. so Sega realized that it wouldn’t be worth having a DVD or a bigger gd-rom, that would bring an increase in hardware cost but the worst thing would be an increase in the cost of games.
    it's the same cartridge and the cd era, the magazines said that the cd made it cheaper, yes, that's half true, when a game uses the cd with fmv, with better audio, with complex assets, the cost of producing the game get bigger, I believe that the main ps3 games that used blu ray well as MGS4 were more expensive than the average of equivalent games on DVD-DL xbox 360

Adding advanced audio and graphical capability is what really drive us the costs of games development. Halo 3 cost $60 million, Halo 4 even more and there were just DVD games
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One SegaDreamcast's Avatar

Bernie Stolar's thought process was truly ahead of its time. All those ideas became winners either actively during or barely after the Dreamcast's generation.

Thread Information