Quantcast

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Satiator By Prof. Abrasive

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Supposedly MODE has 100% compatibility, but I haven't tried one yet. Rhea/Phoebe are jokes and should be regarded as such. This may be a good middleground for people who don't need that obscure Japanese-only mahjong game to work or whatnot. Or who don't wanna open up their Saturns and prefer to retain optical drive capabilities. I wish it the best!
    What's bad about the Rhea and Phoebe? I have a Rhea and it works really well. Bit of a faff admittedly, but I wouldn't call it a joke. I am looking forward to trying a Satiotor though, it's such a beautiful concept to plug and play like that.

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    What's bad about the Rhea and Phoebe? I have a Rhea and it works really well. Bit of a faff admittedly, but I wouldn't call it a joke. I am looking forward to trying a Satiotor though, it's such a beautiful concept to plug and play like that.
    I think the main issue anyone really has with the Rhea/Phobe's is their lack of availability. Aside from that, the are very easy to install and once you get the menu loader onto them in the first boot partition, it is very easy to use it and to create your own dumps to put onto it as I did on mine?

Again I'm curious to see how the Satiator does when it is released and will be reading all the reviews I can on it to see what it is like.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

Even for a niche product like this, you can expect demand to be in the thousands... that's still pretty tough logistically for a one-person operation to pull off. It would take a lot of money up front to cover manufacturing and shipping to make things go as quickly as possible. In most cases I imagine that up-front money isn't present, and so one handful of orders has to fund the next.

The thing about Rhea and Phobe besides the lack of availability is that you need to install a menu loader. The user should have to do that. Same with the GDEmu. It's a half-baked product at best. Not only that, it requires outdated DiskJuggler images and won't work with redumps or other rips. It's a joke product as obviously the creator couldn't be bothered to make it better (or even available). I can't take it seriously. The creator insists on doing everything himself and his product is far worse off for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    The thing about Rhea and Phobe besides the lack of availability is that you need to install a menu loader. The user should have to do that. Same with the GDEmu. It's a half-baked product at best. Not only that, it requires outdated DiskJuggler images and won't work with redumps or other rips. It's a joke product as obviously the creator couldn't be bothered to make it better (or even available). I can't take it seriously. The creator insists on doing everything himself and his product is far worse off for it.
    Well, I can understand it not having a built in menu being a pain, but there is one and it isn't that big a deal to get it installed and working. As for the images, I gave up trying to make any I found online work so I created my own using DJ off my originals and with the exception of one of my games that always had issues being read in the first place due to severe scratches, I've got my library backed up on my Rhea working just fine. I've got a MODE on order that I will put into my Dreamcast but I do plan to pick up a Satiator once released to the masses for my other Saturn.

I'm working on a shopping cart now! The assembler tells me the boards are all soldered and I'm waiting for them to get to test and programming. I'll get a proper post up this weekend.
    The Prof replied on Patreon the other day with that, so I guess an update is forthcoming.

Thread Information