Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Satiator By Prof. Abrasive

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    He's shipped all the Beta units, and those people have been testing for several weeks. From what I've read, most games are running fine. There's some FMV hiccups, but he had them working previously, so it's a matter of figuring out what he "broke."
    Wonder if the issue is actually the SDcards themselves? I know when I got my Atari 5200 AtariMax SD, that one of the first things I tested on it was the Bad Apple demo. It ran but did so at inconsistent speed and just jerky overall. I was using the SDcard that came with the atarimax cart at the time. I then thought I would try using a faster class SDcard and sure enough the demo ran smoothly once I did that.

So again it could be more to do with the quality and speed of the read/write of the SD cards vs the satiator itself?

Now with 33% more @$$! Master of Shinobi Assman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Very much looking forward to this! Does anyone know what format the disc images need to be in? I know the Phoebe and Rhea need them to be in Disc Juggler format, of all things. That disappointed me because I was hoping for a format that would be far more obscure and annoying to deal with. Nobody wants it easy! J/K I hope it likes ISO + WAV or BINs and CUEs or both or all!
    This is from about a year ago on the Patreon page:

currently, it supports ISO and BIN/CUE. ... The BIN/CUE support handles multiple files (eg .iso + .cdr audio). It doesn't currently handle WAV tracks but that should be easy to add.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    Very much looking forward to this! Does anyone know what format the disc images need to be in? I know the Phoebe and Rhea need them to be in Disc Juggler format, of all things. That disappointed me because I was hoping for a format that would be far more obscure and annoying to deal with. Nobody wants it easy! J/K I hope it likes ISO + WAV or BINs and CUEs or both or all!
    Rhea supports CloneCD, which is like a bin/cue plus a subcode file and a different descriptor. The key is that Rhea needs subcodes to work because the device is not strong enough to *generate* subcode data.
    Satiator does not need or use subcodes but as a consequence things like seeking in the cd player do not work. There are also some a handful of games using multiple track indexes which are not handled yet. And CD+G discs probably also do not work.

I'm watching ReEnthused (Twitch) https://www.twitch.tv/reenthused and he's testing a new fix for FMV. Seems the FMV skipping is fixed though sound effects are a bit laggy (probably due to his capture card).
    Last edited by Greg2600; 01-17-2020 at 03:52 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

hope this could be mass produced soon.
    I'm also looking for these features:

-ability to change console region discs, just like a normal EU/US/JP adapter, but via Satiator
    -support for cheat codes and homebrew
    -save cart funcions

Anybody mentioned these features?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    I just measured my Saturn carts with a Vernier, the action replay, two backup memory carts, and two RAM Expansions all measured to 16mm. So no, the AR is not thicker. I still maintain that they just get dusty too easily, every time I have cart problems I can just clean the carts and they'll work. It's tiresome but it is what it is.

I also had to clean up MPEG carts in the past to get them working. In every case, you could see visible dust marks in the middle of the pins of all the carts.
    Do you have the black (1st Edition) Action Replay? That was the 1st one I had bought back in 1995. My memory carts worked fine, until I used that fat POS.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    hope this could be mass produced soon.
    I'm also looking for these features:

-ability to change console region discs, just like a normal EU/US/JP adapter, but via Satiator
    -support for cheat codes and homebrew
    -save cart funcions

Anybody mentioned these features?
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/featur...ron_engagement

Granted that feature update is a year old, I don't think he's changed much since then.

--Definitely bypasses region locking.
    --Does not interefere with the cart slot, so saves, RAM, and AR will function as is. He wasn't sure at the time how AR boot sequence affects it. Though it doesn't interact with the internal save mechanism, no reason something can't be written to do so.
    --Supporting ISO and BIN/CUE formats, including multi-disc games (swapping).
    --Does not support Video CD emulation, nor will it.
    --Load times will mirror the OEM CD Drive.
    --WAV support has to be added, MP3 will not be supported.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    https://www.patreon.com/posts/featur...ron_engagement

Granted that feature update is a year old, I don't think he's changed much since then.

--Definitely bypasses region locking.
    --Does not interefere with the cart slot, so saves, RAM, and AR will function as is. He wasn't sure at the time how AR boot sequence affects it. Though it doesn't interact with the internal save mechanism, no reason something can't be written to do so.
    --Supporting ISO and BIN/CUE formats, including multi-disc games (swapping).
    --Does not support Video CD emulation, nor will it.
    --Load times will mirror the OEM CD Drive.
    --WAV support has to be added, MP3 will not be supported.

Thanks
    It's not clear if the region bypass works only for ISO or also for retail discs.

Master of Shinobi

I believe it was mentioned that it'll let all region original discs work as well, but I'm too busy to test it now...

*I'm pretty sure that Satiator only comes online if you're disc drive is empty; therefore, it will likely not act like an Action Replay and allow other region discs to play.

From the ReEnthused Channel

We take another look at the Satiator after updating to the newest firmware.
    Firmware 73:
    Fixes FMV stuttering
    Speeds up menu loading when there are lots of files
    Adds page switching with shoulder buttons
    First attempts at implementing audio indexing

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Do you have the black (1st Edition) Action Replay? That was the 1st one I had bought back in 1995. My memory carts worked fine, until I used that fat POS.
    From Interact (or whatever they were called)? I bought the Gameshark at Software Etc / EB and that thing was a pain in the ass to fit into the slot. Once it "stopped" working, I trashed it. Then my other carts suddenly took more effort to make them work (ie, remove and put back into slot 3-5x). Thankfully, the cart slot still works.

Thread Information