Quantcast

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Satiator By Prof. Abrasive

SD cards are easily swappable in the Satiator though. Swapping the SSD in your MODE still requires you to open up the Saturn doesn't it? Same with SD cards and USB last I checked. With Satiator you can easily swap cards out, so a 32GB or 64GB SD Card would be fine, as you can just load the games you want to play and then swap ones in and out. Those are only what, $10 last I checked?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    SD cards are easily swappable in the Satiator though. Swapping the SSD in your MODE still requires you to open up the Saturn doesn't it? Same with SD cards and USB last I checked. With Satiator you can easily swap cards out, so a 32GB or 64GB SD Card would be fine, as you can just load the games you want to play and then swap ones in and out. Those are only what, $10 last I checked?
    Part of one of the 3D printed enclosures for the MODE includes an SD card slot extender so you can do the same, or you can even use a SATA extender if you really want to, the HDD/SSD just needs to fit under the lid. RetroRGB did that with his. But yeah, that is a downside of the MODE otherwise. It's an easy fix, but it's not how it comes.

This is also correct accept that I would argue that adding in an extender either a SATA or SD so that I can access the devices under the lid is still easier than reaching around the back of the console on my shelf trying to feel for the card and slot. And even with extenders added...it is still less expensive in the end.

Also you English patch for Grandia works fine on my Rhea and never had any issues with it that I'm aware of. Then again I haven't updated the patch on it in sometime but yeah. I wasn't aware about the MODE having issues with it because I got my MODE specifically for my Dreamcast and so far the ONLY game I had an issue with not working was that the images I kept making for Volgarr wouldn't work so I did resort to getting an ISO of it off the net but that game offers disc images to make yourself so not a huge issue.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    This is also correct accept that I would argue that adding in an extender either a SATA or SD so that I can access the devices under the lid is still easier than reaching around the back of the console on my shelf trying to feel for the card and slot. And even with extenders added...it is still less expensive in the end.

Also you English patch for Grandia works fine on my Rhea and never had any issues with it that I'm aware of. Then again I haven't updated the patch on it in sometime but yeah. I wasn't aware about the MODE having issues with it because I got my MODE specifically for my Dreamcast and so far the ONLY game I had an issue with not working was that the images I kept making for Volgarr wouldn't work so I did resort to getting an ISO of it off the net but that game offers disc images to make yourself so not a huge issue.
    Fenrir, MODE, and cheap all-in-one pirate Pseudo Saturn carts from China have all had issues with it. Satiator may be expensive and it may have taken a long time, but it seems to be the least rushed to me and as a result is the more appealing Product. MODE is pretty close too to be fair. However I think they may have released it a tad too soon as it seems more focus was put on the Dreamcast side and the Saturn side needed more time in the oven.

ACHTUNG! MD angeschaltet! Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One eukara's Avatar

Through the open hole in the tray I was able to put in a 64 GB SanDisk USB drive just fine into the MODE.

Master of Shinobi

Don't forget that the MODE is by a company that has a long track record of releasing such devices, and therefore likely more capital to create larger factory orders, thereby driving the manufacturing costs lower. Satiator is by 1 guy, who had to find the correct company for PCBs, parts assembly, creating the plastic shell, and creating some hardware that can do QA check on the devices - he did that all on his own, while working on his doctorate and while his firstborn arrived. It was stated before that the Satiator costs so much because production is just ramping up right now and he does not have the capital to create a large enough batch. The high prices are there to ensure that he makes enough so creating further batches are easier, driving the prices down eventually.

I don't know why you are arguing about the price for SD cards vs SSDs, a 128gb SD card can already hold more games than you'd bother to play with.
    There's also the USB connector on the Satiator, was it mentioned yet what it will be used for? If you can connect storage devices to that, then you can just use a portable USB Drive or a random SATA drive with a sata to usb converter.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    I don't know why you are arguing about the price for SD cards vs SSDs, a 128gb SD card can already hold more games than you'd bother to play with.
    Because TrekkiesUnite118 brought it up earlier in regards to the cost of the Satiator versus the MODE:

As for price, how much does MODE cost when paired with a decent sized SSD? At that point Satiator's price isn't looking too bad.
    There's also the USB connector on the Satiator, was it mentioned yet what it will be used for? If you can connect storage devices to that, then you can just use a portable USB Drive or a random SATA drive with a sata to usb converter.
    As far as I'm aware, the USB port is for development. Whether or not you can connect storage devices to it I don't know, but I assume it's just for direct transfer via PC.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

That's wasteful and stupid. Secondly you could probably repair the disc drive to working order in those junk systems. I think that's what irritates me more with ODEs. All the disc drives being needlessly thrown in the trash instead of being properly serviced. Which is why I think the Satiator is the better idea.

As for price, how much does MODE cost when paired with a decent sized SSD? At that point Satiator's price isn't looking too bad.
    And how many Saturns got trashed, because of a dead laser lens?

I have a backup Saturn, just in case my Saturn shits the bed. And a 256GB SSD can be had for $30. Theyíre dirt cheap. Hell, I have a 64GB SSD thatís just been sitting around.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    And how many Saturns got trashed, because of a dead laser lens?
    The difference there is that they usually show up on ebay for repair/parts. And in many cases the drive can be refurbished. And I think Saturn Laser Death might be a bit over exaggerated like a lot of other fear panics going around. My main Saturn I've had since 1996 and it gets played regularly. The Laser and Drive are still going strong as far as I can tell.

The difference there is that they usually show up on ebay for repair/parts. And in many cases the drive can be refurbished. And I think Saturn Laser Death might be a bit over exaggerated like a lot of other fear panics going around. My main Saturn I've had since 1996 and it gets played regularly. The Laser and Drive are still going strong as far as I can tell.
    Yes, I posted an eBay ad that had one such drive failure and was being sold for cheap.

I have a North American Launch Saturn, that Iíd thought was having laser issues. I had to crack it open and grease the rails with White Lithium Grease to get it working again.

Like I said, Iíd bought a spare (when Iíd thought my Saturn CD laser was dying), so I do have a backup. I also have 2 Dreamcasts, 2 PS3s and 2 Xbox 360s, because you never know with those drive based consoles.

Right now Iím using Psuedo Saturn, and it works great. You really canít beat the price. The Mode is a pretty good option for someone with a dead Saturn CD laser, and itís better than just having it collect dust, or end up being thrown on eBay for little to nothing.
    Last edited by gamevet; 08-26-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Master of Shinobi

I went through something like 40-50 saturns and only 2 had dead lasers, one was completely dead and another was on the way out and there was nothing that could be done about it.
    The rest either had working lasers, or they just needed to be calibrated or the tray height adjusted.

I went through something like 40-50 saturns and only 2 had dead lasers, one was completely dead and another was on the way out and there was nothing that could be done about it.
    The rest either had working lasers, or they just needed to be calibrated or the tray height adjusted.
    Exactly. It seems this and disc rot are the two most overblown panics going on right now with the Saturn.

Exactly. It seems this and disc rot are the two most overblown panics going on right now with the Saturn.
    I feel Saturns are actually some of the most reliable disc drive based consoles of that era, especially compared to the Sega CD and PlayStation.

Quote Originally Posted by wowsux133 View Post
    I feel Saturns are actually some of the most reliable disc drive based consoles of that era, especially compared to the Sega CD and PlayStation.
    Yes, they are, more so when compared to the crap PS and PS2 lens and early OG Xbox Thomson drives.
    I think it's more about the need not to use CD's and have your collection of games all on the storage, able to be selected at a click of a button. Which is not only far more convenient but also great in that you don't need to get those RARE and expensive games out of their cases. I use MODE and its a great product and so far as worked with any game I've looked to play on it.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Iíve been thinking about getting a mode for my white Dreamcast.

Thread Information