Quantcast

Thread: Cyberball

Default Cyberball

During the first year or two after the Genesis launched, third party titles were few and far between, thanks to Nintendo's iron-clad licensing agreements. During those dark years, Sega had to use all kinds of tactics just to get companies to even publish on its console. One of the most successful methods was the licensing and reprogramming of arcade hits by Sega itself. In addition to the great Capcom line up of reprogrammed games like Forgotten Worlds and Ghouls 'N Ghosts, Sega also managed to snag some Atari titles, like the arcade hit Cyberball. Like its brethren, Cyberball received some home extras while retaining the look and feel of the coin-op as much as possible. The only problem with the futuristic football game is that it might not have been deep enough for the home market. Is it worth your cash? Well, we have a full review for you with all the details!
    Last edited by Melf; 07-21-2011 at 02:22 PM.

You know, I'm surprised we haven't seen a great football with robots type game yet. I like Cyberball okay, but a good melding of Mutant League Football and Cyborg Justice could have been a blast to play. In today's NFL/EA monopoly era, I'm surprised no one has bothered with a more fantastic approach to the game instead of doing the GTA-thing as Midway did or 2K's unlicensed offering. The theme's presentation could easily blow away the more realistic football titles, and upgrading players would offer much depth and fun if done right. The whole sports in the future theme seemed to die with Super Baseball 2020 for some reason.

If I had the awesome Mega Modem or even a Tele-Genesis Modem prototype, would Cyberball even recognize its existence, or has that code been completely removed?

If you boot the game up on a Japanese console, the modem option does appear, but I don't know if it would actually work or not.

ICE HOCKEY BY ACTIVISION! The Sports Guy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin
    You know, I'm surprised we haven't seen a great football with robots type game yet. I like Cyberball okay, but a good melding of Mutant League Football and Cyborg Justice could have been a blast to play. In today's NFL/EA monopoly era, I'm surprised no one has bothered with a more fantastic approach to the game instead of doing the GTA-thing as Midway did or 2K's unlicensed offering. The theme's presentation could easily blow away the more realistic football titles, and upgrading players would offer much depth and fun if done right. The whole sports in the future theme seemed to die with Super Baseball 2020 for some reason.
    Thats because that game is wicked confusing and extremely boring. Its perfect for ADHD children. I just dont like this game because i cant figure out the passing system and its really dull on screen. Looks like an atari 7800 game or something. I dont think i would pick this one up for any more than a dollar.

Quote Originally Posted by trekbone87
    I just dont like this game because i cant figure out the passing system and its really dull on screen. Looks like an atari 7800 game or something. I dont think i would pick this one up for any more than a dollar.
    It's not intuitive, but the passing scheme is learned after a few tries. I do recall not feeling a sense of pass depth after each throw, and I believe most of that is due to the 7800-looking graphics. It's similar to Football on the 2600; you really need some minimal level of graphics and shadows to give a decent sense of pass depth and height, else it's just too difficult to judge and play along.

An OK game but nothing great and pales in comparison to Mutant League Football

Genesis STILL does! Outrunner runback22's Avatar

One of my all time favorite games......Its too bad the Genny version paled in comparison to the arcade.....

[/url]

Oops! Here's another broken review link Melf!
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

Thread Information