Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FM Rangers - Mach 5 Fusion Force X (BotB winner)

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Default FM Rangers - Mach 5 Fusion Force X (BotB winner)

Didn't see this posted before, it's an awesome YM2612 collab between 5 musicians.

Enjoy
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Admittedly, not the sort of musical style I enjoy.

It does bother me, seeing many chiptune albums trying to push the music to be very grating. I don't understand how people enjoy it.

A lot of familiar names in there! Jredd, Cosmo, Th4 D34d, Dya... there is a lot of great talent in this mix. As for the music styling, well, I've enjoyed this style for as long as I can remember and it is one of the main reasons I really like FM synthesis. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy a good midi tune through a nice sound module as well, but there is so much versatility with FM synth and especially with the YM2612/3438 chips. So this is something I support!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Zygrunt's Avatar

I love it. Both the groovy parts and the melodic parts are very good.

Its intentional the apparent sound fail at 1:30?

Smith's Minister of War Hero of Algol Kamahl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    Its intentional the apparent sound fail at 1:30?
    Yeah... that's just Th4 D34d's style... not a fan either. He does have better stuff though, even in this same song.
    This thread needs more... ENGINEERS

OPN2 in DNA Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Peeteris's Avatar

Well
    and again
    there's no .vgm.
    So sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Peeteris View Post
    Well
    and again
    there's no .vgm.
    So sad.
    I could be totally wrong about this, but I believe the reason there isn't a .vgm...etc is because they only used the genesis for the sounds. The actual mixes we hear in that YT vid aren't actually possible with all the instrumentation and voices on actual hardware. Their album FM Possible is the same way. Lots of genesis tones used but not really possible on actual hardware since it is all just mixed together.

But if that isn't true and they do have vgms of these then that would be amazing!

OPN2 in DNA Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Peeteris's Avatar

Sound pretty possible on Genesis. Nothing extraordinary.
    There's another good mix from Dya and it sounds oustanding. Gladly, I got the VGM of this:

Let me rephrase it then....

These songs were done in parts by different composers and then mixed into a new song. I don't know that any one of them have the entire song in VGM format. That is what I meant. What we hear is the audio captured from the sequencing software they use and not from actual hardware basically.

Again, I would love to be proven wrong, but then if VGMs did exist, why not release those or put them on a cart to be sold and played on actual hardware like some other releases?

Quote Originally Posted by Kamahl View Post
    Yeah... that's just Th4 D34d's style... not a fan either. He does have better stuff though, even in this same song.
    It was sounding really good up until 1.30 not sure what he or she was trying to acheive, it didnt sound edgy just broken.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

The change in tune reminds me of some of the bizarre tracks in Treasure's Dynamite Headdy or Gunstar, though those are usually in a boss fight track, not in something that could otherwise be used as a level tune.

However, listening to this in the context of game music is shortsighted. This as a standalone track goes many different places. It's a mashup of different tracks which all make impressive use of the hardware. Unfortunately, it turns into a cacophony. Maybe the author came up with each track separayely while experimenting. Most of these loops would be fine alone, but are too short.

Off topic, but did anyone else notice that the cat girl in the Grape Soda video appears to be playing her megadrive as player 2?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Hello, Game Genie Sokolov here, I've been part of that track. If you have any questions related to it's making or compositions please feel free to ask: I'll answer to the best of my abilities.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Let me rephrase it then....

These songs were done in parts by different composers and then mixed into a new song. I don't know that any one of them have the entire song in VGM format. That is what I meant. What we hear is the audio captured from the sequencing software they use and not from actual hardware basically.

Again, I would love to be proven wrong, but then if VGMs did exist, why not release those or put them on a cart to be sold and played on actual hardware like some other releases?
    Here are some answers. Please excuse my English skills, am a French speaker.

About the project itself:
    The idea of the project was to create a musical relay among us 5 on a Sega Genesis. One starts for about 45 seconds, then pass it on to the next artist for 45 seconds, and so on. It was more of an experiment between us that produced what we think is a great result. We entered it in the Battle of The Bits contests, and won 1st place in every single category. We're very proud of this since it was voted by fellow musical artists from different scenes, artists we respect and admires, so it means a lot to us that we achieved this feat together.

About your question, and the technical aspect:
    Everything you hear is 100% Sega Genesis accurate: 6 channels of YM2612, 1 channels of White noise courtesy of the SN chip and 3 channels of Pulse from the SN chip. There's no reverb, delay or additional FX coming from mixer, since the hardware does the mixing. Even the panning is what the console does: hard LEFT or RIGHT for each Fm channels, mono for PSG. Apart from the 8-bit PCM channel, no samples are used, it's generated by the chipsets.

Now, you have to realize that we are 5 artists, with 5 different way of creating music for Sega Genesis. Some of us are using Deflemask, some are using VGMM, somes are using a DAW (VST + retro-conversion). While VGM exists indeed for each parts (10 of them), they sound wildly different from one another in terms of sound design and general volume. Some elements of the console have fixed volume, and one has to work around this limitation to create the sound he wants to create for his part. If you take all the VGMs and line them up together, you will have huge volume differences, and different energy all over the sound frequencies. For example, have a listen to Revenge of Shinobi, Gunstar Heroes and Sonic 3D Blast: they have very different ways of handling sounds indeed. Our idea for the Fm Rangers has always been this: it is about the music, and nothing else. So I used a combination of Exodus, MESS and direct console recordings to extract each parts multitrack, lined them up in a DAW, and make some slight adjustments so that it would flow together nicely. I think I managed that, it does sound coherent and flows together. Didn't use EQ, reverb, panning, nothing. Just adjusting volumes. The result sounds like a mega track.

tl;dr: Each of the 10 parts exists in VGM form, but wouldn't form a coherent track. The sum of it's parts does not exists in VGM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    The actual mixes we hear in that YT vid aren't actually possible with all the instrumentation and voices on actual hardware. Their album FM Possible is the same way. Lots of genesis tones used but not really possible on actual hardware since it is all just mixed together.
    About the mix:
    It is indeed possible: everything parts comes from the chipsets. There's no additional channels or FX. It is the strict console limitations. The mix is every parts lined up in a DAW for volume matching and volume adjustments since we are 5 different artists. We use the same hardware, yes, but not in the same way Somebody has to step up and bring them together, which I did. It's about the music in the end.

About FM Possible 2:
    Don't know about the first album, I joined for the second one. I can say that the tracks from Dya, Jredd, Th4 D34d, Cosmo, Lazaro, GrooveMaster 303 and myself comes from strict-limitations of the Sega Genesis console, nothing extra added. BUT, since it's about the music, we sometimes added some reverbs during the mastering stage on some tracks (like my owns) to sweeten it a bit for release. You may contact each of the different artists for the raw VGM if you'd like, they all are very nice people

The console limitation:
    In my case, I find that having only 10 mono channels to work with forces me to compose in a more efficient way. When I want stereo delay on an instrument, i will have to use 3 channels for this, leaving few possibilities for the rest. It makes me questions wherever it's necessary or not. Also, instrument switching for each channel can be an interesting gymnastic (Jredd and Dya are masters at that). Th4 D34D has found of way to create his deep wobbly sound by changing the SSG-EG parameters on-the-fly, something that could have been done from day one in 1988 but would have required a lots of instructions to be fed to the chipset while playing. CPU time had to be divided for everything during gameplay, and I doubt that any game company would have accepted to have game music using up to 50% of the CPU But, since we are about the music, we can, and we do. The Sega Genesis chiptunes scene can achieve incredible sound design on the console since we have all the CPU to ourselves.

I hope I answered your questions
    Last edited by eckoes; 05-04-2018 at 05:28 PM.

Thread Information