Quantcast

Thread: CRT monitor with lines

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Default CRT monitor with lines

So the 15" CRT monitor that I use with my dedicated Windows 98 computer has started to display some lines on the top and the bottom of the screen.
    they look like some sort of interference lines, there's no color or anything its just a line consisting of like 3 or so pixels that flickers from the left to the right.
    and then a similar line on the bottom of the screen. they're not always there but always show up eventually.

I know this is a 20 year old monitor, but I'd really like to see what my options are regarding repairs before I decide to get rid of it.
    This monitor was used by my dad back in the late 90s and has honestly not seen that much use so I'd prefer to hold onto it if possible.

Anyone recognize this? I guess I could try to take a picture but not sure how that would come out.

Edit : It's not the Win98 Graphics card that causes it, I connected the monitor to my laptop and the lines still showed up.
    Last edited by NeoVamp; 04-05-2018 at 03:55 PM.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Do you have a picture of it? I haven't used a CRT monitor in years, but 3 things came to mind. I'm by no means a crt expert though.

1. Degaussing the monitor.
    2. Trying a different cable.
    3. Playing with some of the monitor settings to see if you can make any improvement.

I'm not super confident that either of those things will help, but it's where I would probably start.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Can you take a video? If it's an internal fault, you can track it down with a scope.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Are these lines in the picture or outside the picture area? Picture area = the image being displayed.
    If the lines are outside the picture area I would give a look at the adjustment settings such as the horizontal. Also look up to see if can find any manuals and service manual some adjustments can be within CRT's case (be careful HIGH VOLTAGE even when unplugged because of capacitors) on the PCB but could be within a service settings menu and a service manual would tell you how to access it. Document the settings before and after any adjustments are made.

What is the make and model of your 15'' CRT monitor?

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    Do you have a picture of it?

1. Degaussing the monitor.
    2. Trying a different cable.
    3. Playing with some of the monitor settings to see if you can make any improvement.
    I'll try to make a picture tomorrow, but it wont be easy.. it's like 3 or so lines that flicker on top and bottom so its not like a delicious thick green line or anything.
    I tried degausing but it didn't make a difference. and the monitor doesn't really offer a lot of settings in the menu beside 0.7v or 1.0v (its set to 0.7 and changing to 1.0 just makes the picture darker)

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Can you take a video? If it's an internal fault, you can track it down with a scope.
    I'll try tomorrow, because its a moving pair of lines a video might show it better.

Quote Originally Posted by EyeDeeNo76 View Post
    Are these lines in the picture or outside the picture area? Picture area = the image being displayed.
    If the lines are outside the picture area I would give a look at the adjustment settings such as the horizontal. Also look up to see if can find any manuals and service manual some adjustments can be within CRT's case (be careful HIGH VOLTAGE even when unplugged because of capacitors) on the PCB but could be within a service settings menu and a service manual would tell you how to access it. Document the settings before and after any adjustments are made.

What is the make and model of your 15'' CRT monitor?
    The lines go all the way through the visible part of the screen, you know through the entirety of the windows clouds wallpaper. (top and bottom)
    The monitor is a 15" Fujitsu c772.

I just made the visible picture much smaller and the flickering stays inside the desktop and not on the rest of the eh, glass monitor.

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

Did a quick search and don't find any manuals for the Fujitsu Scaleoview C772 and apparently it's a 17'' but the fact that the distortion lines are in the picture and stay with it when moved.. it could be that a component of the monitor is going bad. It wouldn't hurt to try another VGA cable if haven't already.
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 04-06-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Thread Information