Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Petition against ATgames being the Mega Drive Mini Developer

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Default Petition against ATgames being the Mega Drive Mini Developer

While I doubt signing this would ever change Sega's mind. I still think it's worth raising your hand to show that you believe ATGames was a bad choice for the Mega Drive Mini.

Sign to show your support at the link below:

https://chn.ge/2K3LeV9

Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert

I wouldn't sign this anyway..

I'm pretty happy that it's happening, and latest ATgames md clone is doing just fine... and can be easily tweaked to become even better.. it's all software.
    Also Sega will have it's on obligatory QA testing so.. no matter what it will be a nice piece of hardware to have.

Road Rasher

I believe that sega knows already that people hate atgames, but they probably signed an exclusivity contract with them many years ago. Hopefully they got involved this time and are wirking with at games to produce a quality product, just the fact that atgames logo is not there is a good sign!

16-bits is all he needs Master of Shinobi matteus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    I believe that sega knows already that people hate atgames, but they probably signed an exclusivity contract with them many years ago. Hopefully they got involved this time and are wirking with at games to produce a quality product, just the fact that atgames logo is not there is a good sign!
    I'd rather voice my objections and hope this happens as a result of doing so hehe

Road Rasher

Oh I hate atgames dont get me wrong!! Will sign it!

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    More likely explanation: it's probably the cheapest way for them to do it.

From what I could see, the AtGames mini Genesis had a lot of improvements over its predecessors. So I think they might finally hit the sweet spot on this next one. So I don't understand why is their popularity so low. I never had an AtGames though.
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

I have the most recently released AtGames iteration.
    Or, more to the point, a family member does.

Spoilers - It freezes. A lot.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
    From what I could see, the AtGames mini Genesis had a lot of improvements over its predecessors. So I think they might finally hit the sweet spot on this next one. So I don't understand why is their popularity so low. I never had an AtGames though.
    The latest one is just an ARM SoC running an emulator. Given that Genesis emulation is mostly a solved problem at this point, they don't really have any excuses for not having done better. They should have just licensed an existing emulator.

It does seem like they're pursuing that option more recently. They posted an issue on PicoDrive's issue tracker towards the end of 2017 inquiring about commercial licensing. Unclear if it went anywhere.

Level 1 Blast Processor Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by paulojr_mam View Post
    So I don't understand why is their popularity so low. I never had an AtGames though.

I had my first experience with one last week, I was very firmly in the "it can't be that bad, Internet loves hyperbole and all" camp. I'd share some TANGLEWOOD footage of it screeching and hissing, but to do so would reveal story spoilers.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

It's embarrassing is what it is. The only possible reason Sega let AtGames make these botch jobs has got to be to do with money. Which translates as Sega being cheap... again. Christ, it's not like they're short of money these days. They've enjoyed a big spike in their profits over the last few years so there really is no excuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygon View Post
    I have the most recently released AtGames iteration.
    Or, more to the point, a family member does.

Spoilers - It freezes. A lot.
    As in pauses regularly or it outright crashes?

I recall there being a hack that improved the sound in the AtGames Mini Genesis. Or the hack used for the one by Tec Toy worked in it. Though it still wasn't good enough even after hacking. It's a shame on them that, being paid, they still can't do what every free emulator out there does well. But I chose hope.

Isn't Sega Forever emulation good? Perhaps they'll use that.
    -Meu blog sobre Mega Drive/Genesis.
    - no youtube.

PK is Atgames' owner and CEO, he was part of the Board of Directors at Sega the same year that Atgames was launched.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Zygrunt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mask of Destiny View Post
    The latest one is just an ARM SoC running an emulator. Given that Genesis emulation is mostly a solved problem at this point, they don't really have any excuses for not having done better. They should have just licensed an existing emulator.

It does seem like they're pursuing that option more recently. They posted an issue on PicoDrive's issue tracker towards the end of 2017 inquiring about commercial licensing. Unclear if it went anywhere.
    Is this confirmed? I read somewhere that they used GOAC on their hardware. Sega has their official android emulator which is not great but at least much better than what I saw from atgames so far. Maybe they're going to use that if it is ARM based.

Edit: oh that's probably what you meant by soc sorry

Thread Information