Quantcast

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Random special effects pics

First it computes the horizontal scroll for the whole line, then it applies vertical scroll on every 16px column.

It's more obvious if you consider how it works in hardware, the VDP is fetching 16px for both planes as it scans the line (with the timings being just barely enough to meet it) and the lowest four bits of the horizontal scroll determine by how many pixels to delay the rendering of the line (VDP starts rendering 16px ahead of time, hence why column -1 is a thing) so all columns have to be shifted by the same amount.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Here's what I'm talking about in Shinobi 3.

The vertical scroll here contains two columns. The horizontal scroll one 8px row.

The arrows on the top edge of the row show two lighter colored pixels. The upper most pixel only scrolls vertically, even though it starts within the 8px scrolling row.

On the left side, the pixels that are on edge of the column scroll both vertically and horizontally.

So it seems like the vertical scroll occurs before the horizontal scroll here, no?

Original screenshots:

The horizontal scroll table works on screen coordinates (i.e. they don't shift along with the vertical scroll), what you're seeing happens even without column scroll — if you're always using a specific horizontal slant and then move the background vertically, then it looks as if the background follows that fixed shape. And when you're combining it all for a tilt effects chances are that your code isn't paying much attention to pixel alignment.

…this probably requires making a good bunch of GIFs but I'm not in mood for that. It doesn't help that you could argue that either hscroll or vscroll takes priority depending on your viewpoint (from a raster viewpoint horizontal clearly is computed first, but from a result viewpoint it can feel like it works the other way).

Thanks! I think I get what you're saying.

Does anyone know if the Rotation effects in Wonderdog are ASIC Hardware or done in software via the MD GPU?

At 5:20

And Here on the monkey's at 51:33

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Honestly I can't tell, could be either that (rotated sprites don't look cleaned up) or prerendered (because there aren't too many combinations).

For the first there are only 16 angles, the weird part is that it plays over 24 frames (for a full circle), it's going 1-2-1-2-1-2… The second one also has a fixed amount of angles (including a very sudden turn) and updates every two frames.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

The first one really looks like a "pre-rendered" sprite. The kind where someone just changed the angle and touched up each frame.

The second example looks rough, but so do some frames of other other sprites not using rotation.

Since it's so small and the game uses a modest enough amount of assets that it would easily fit within a single 2 meg bank, it makes more sense that both of those and anything similar would just be frames of animation as that would be easiest to do.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hero of Algol

Yeah, that's just animation.

How this cool Batman and Robin boss spotlight effect works?
    Yes the transparency it's just dither, but the background lines manipulation (enlargement and narrowing pixel by pixel accuracy), it's very similar to standart Super Nes HDMA window effects can do.

Same way to how racing games draw their road: the tilemap holds a triangle that covers every possible line width and then the game changes the vertical scroll on every scanline to pick a line with the appropriate width (then the horizontal scroll table is used to push it into the correct position).

Bosses exploding in Alien Soldier work the same way.

EDIT: oh by the way, later in the game there are robots with triangle-shaped lasers. Those work the same way as well. Also note that they flicker so they can have up to two of those robots on screen at once (it alternates the laser between the two robots so it only ever needs to use a single plane).

I was watching Jo's fab Game Sack Simpsons special and I only played the Snes version of Virtual Bart and was amazed to see the Bart Sprite being smoothly rotated in the Water slide section, even better than the Snes version
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Anyone have more examples of silhouette effects in Genesis games? Like the mech's legs in this stage from Ranger X:

It's done by manipulating display priority and sprite link priority. The shadow sprite and the water tiles at leg level are high priority while the legs are low priority, but since the legs are lower on the sprite list than the shadow (i.e. drawn first), the VDP doesn't draw pixels on the shadow sprite where the legs are.

I assume this is done in other games since it's a cool effect and not that complicated, but I can't find any.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

It's probably used more often for more commonplace things, just blocking something, instead of pretty silhouettes. On the NES, that's how Mario's mushrooms grow from blocks.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

I don't know if the Mega Drive can do it the same way, but some PC Engine games do silhouette effects using tile/sprite layer priority. The most famous one is when Jackie Chan walks behind columns.

You can see it at 7:00 in this video:

The shading of the columns is still seen through the player sprite.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Yeah I think that's the same effect - the background behind the pillar has the same gradation pattern at a darker color to create the silhouette.

Thread Information