Quantcast

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 131920212223

Thread: Random special effects pics

Master of Shinobi

Well with vblank you only get 1 per frame, if you want to change palette between scanlines you want a hblank. And yeah, it would be possible, but then you'd need to take care that the area you are colouring is not sharing palettes with anything any sprites, or else the sprites will change color too.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

The biggest problem with palette swaps are the CRAM dots that show up if you're changing beyond a few colors per line. In those examples from Sub-Terrania, only a few colors are swapped, and only 1-2 colors per line if I recall correctly.

If you want to do a beam effect that changes an entire palette's worth of color (or more), you're going to get CRAM dots unless you do something clever. If the background is simple and you only need to swap a few colors to create the beam effect, then it's not as big a concern.

What with the Euro about to be kicking off. I was playing the Amiga and Soccer kid. Sadly, I've long since got rid of my old Amiga 600 and playing on emu.
    But I was impressed with the scaling on the ship and the scaling and rotation effect used on the football in the intro (0:26)

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Nobody here speak about this amazing technical feat reached by Markey Jester Team?

Super smooth bonus stage. Possible real time scaling in Sonic an Tails sprites during spindash and possible real time background rotation.

Vblank pallete swap interrupt with split screen, i really never seen this before in any Genesis game.
    Last edited by EPSYLON EAGLE; 07-02-2021 at 12:34 AM.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

I think I've asked about it in the past and have an idea of how it could work, but I've always loved the vertical split screen in Herzog Zwei.

Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I'd like to know how they didn't bog down the 1 Mhz CPU of the C64 with this amazing feat of graphics on the hardware.

A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I'd like to know how they didn't bog down the 1 Mhz CPU of the C64 with this amazing feat of graphics on the hardware.

Because it's coded by the Mega-CD legend that is Sarah Avory

I rather use examples of what was made back in the day with the limited developer knowledge base and tools
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post

With classic gaming I think that it's more about understanding how the overall hardware works than brute cpu power.

Great coding is still necessary to do the seemingly unbelievable, but I've seem a lot of homebrew from people still learning how to develop do things that would have been very impressive bitd.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post
    Nobody here speak about this amazing technical feat reached by Markey Jester Team?

Super smooth bonus stage. Possible real time scaling in Sonic an Tails sprites during spindash and possible real time background rotation.

Vblank pallete swap interrupt with split screen, i really never seen this before in any Genesis game.
    Hey guys! This run in hardware stock!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Probably because there wasn't a need for it. I mean it's literally just two interrupts. You can do a lot more than that per screen.

Death Adder's minion

Hey guys! This run in hardware stock!
    Is there any place where it is discussed how they achieved this? I'm particularly interested in how they're pulling off the bonus stages

Quote Originally Posted by TheMole View Post
    Is there any place where it is discussed how they achieved this? I'm particularly interested in how they're pulling off the bonus stages
    It's 'just' a series of mid-frame palette swaps--changing the color palettes during active display. This will create CRAM dots on the screen if too many colors are changed at once, which is presumably why the border between each screen in Sonic 2 VS has been expanded (to hide the dots). The border on most stages of the original Sonic 2 is much smaller.

You can read more about how raster effects are done here: https://rasterscroll.com/mdgraphics/...raster-effects

And here's an example of Burning Force, which has several palette changes per screen (and doesn't even attempt to hide the CRAM dots):

https://rasterscroll.com/mdgraphics/...ette-swapping/

Death Adder's minion

You mean that rotating background effect and the twists in the 3D half-pipe are done using pallet swaps?

He is talking about water effect.

Half Pipe is made of prerrendered tiles, just as the original Sonic 2, just smoothed taking advantage of more available storage size.

Background looks like a mix of raster effects + tiles.

I wonder if Sonic and Tails sprites are using scaling or just prerrendered tiles too.

Quote Originally Posted by TheMole View Post
    You mean that rotating background effect and the twists in the 3D half-pipe are done using pallet swaps?
    oops - misread your post as 'versus stages' rather than 'bonus stages'

Thread Information