Quantcast

Page 22 of 23 FirstFirst ... 12181920212223 LastLast

Thread: Random special effects pics

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    I don't know if the Mega Drive can do it the same way, but some PC Engine games do silhouette effects using tile/sprite layer priority. The most famous one is when Jackie Chan walks behind columns.

You can see it at 7:00 in this video:

The shading of the columns is still seen through the player sprite.
    There is the same effect in World Of Illusion on Megadrive in one of the later levels where Mickey goes behind some lit curtains (i think). It's a great effect.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edek View Post
    There is the same effect in World Of Illusion on Megadrive in one of the later levels where Mickey goes behind some lit curtains (i think). It's a great effect.
    Nice. Here it is:

https://youtu.be/Q4QdutuKdTc?t=2783

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    It's too bad the large amount of sprite dropout kills the effect in the example. They should have dynamically only placed the sprite overlays as to where the character was, to help reduce that.

The effect is also here a bit further in the level, but this time with a stained glass window (I think?) rather than a curtain:

https://youtu.be/Q4QdutuKdTc?t=2893

It doesn't quite look right - the silhouette shows through the frame of the window, and you'd expect the silhouette to change color with the window glass. Instead of just using a flat gray for the background under the window sprites, they could have used the same tiles as the window but with a darker palette.

They could have used sprites shadow effects as in this Dynamite Headdy boss?

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    The effect is also here a bit further in the level, but this time with a stained glass window (I think?) rather than a curtain:

https://youtu.be/Q4QdutuKdTc?t=2893

It doesn't quite look right - the silhouette shows through the frame of the window, and you'd expect the silhouette to change color with the window glass. Instead of just using a flat gray for the background under the window sprites, they could have used the same tiles as the window but with a darker palette.
    You could say the same about the curtain too (so it would show like in Jackie Chan), but you're also assuming there were enough free colors to do that. That right there is why they probably just used a flat color.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post

This makes more sense for a shaded silhouette. Are there degrees of opacity for S/H?

World of Illusion shouldn't have had such wide elements for sprites to pass behind if it was going to result in that kind of sprite break up. I haven't played the game in a decade. Does that happen on real hardware?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by EPSYLON EAGLE View Post

Are you sure that's done with a shadow overlay sprite? Because that effect is easily doable with sprite priority trick (as in the previous posted examples). S/H has more limitations that you might think. Priority settings puts a damper on things.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    This makes more sense for a shaded silhouette. Are there degrees of opacity for S/H?

World of Illusion shouldn't have had such wide elements for sprites to pass behind if it was going to result in that kind of sprite break up. I haven't played the game in a decade. Does that happen on real hardware?
    Ive never had it happen on real hardware but it might be because they are using two players

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    You could say the same about the curtain too (so it would show like in Jackie Chan), but you're also assuming there were enough free colors to do that. That right there is why they probably just used a flat color.
    Yeah no doubt they didn't have an extra palette available for one effect, but they might have designed the level around it to free a palette if they really wanted to focus on the effect (probably not going to happen from a rushed design perspective).

That Dynamite Headdy boss is not shadow - it's the same sprite priority silhouette effect we're talking about. Plane B has a darker curtain with the same pattern on it. The visible curtain is made of sprites. Plane B and the sprite curtain scroll up at the same rate to reveal the boss. I suppose it would look similar if done with sprite overlay shadowing, but the rising curtain part seems a lot more complex to do if using shadow.

Edit: Here's a quick gif showing the layers:

Last edited by Gryson; 02-15-2021 at 01:02 PM.

^^^
    Thanks guys for clarify this question, this game seems to use exactly the same trick.

Speaking of layers.

I always liked how TA used the VDP2 layer for a transparent fog/mist like effect and how they warped it to give the impression of 3D. Just like the clever use to make up for shortcomings
    It starts at 50.58 in the video.

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

How this Subterranea water transition effect was achieved? Yeah, i know, it's all about vblank interrupts, but Zyrinx guys added some cool water line volume effect, which probably demands more than one vblank interrupt, considering the screen loads 2 distinct palettes for perform the trick.

Last edited by EPSYLON EAGLE; 05-12-2021 at 10:58 PM.

Master of Shinobi

I'm guessing it just does 2 palette changes, and varies the height of each change by whatever perspective must be set relative to the camera Y position. Note that the background also has a sine ripple on top of that.

Actually a clever way to get what looks like 3 backgrounds in practice.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    I'm guessing it just does 2 palette changes, and varies the height of each change by whatever perspective must be set relative to the camera Y position. Note that the background also has a sine ripple on top of that.

Actually a clever way to get what looks like 3 backgrounds in practice.
    Cool, so it's really possible two vblanks interrupts, i have a idea! Using this trick it's be feasible have laser/light beam effects similar to these pics?

Thread Information