Quantcast

View Poll Results: Will the Mini be any good?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'm sure it will be a big improvement!

3 15.79%
  • Only if they drop the "bonus games".

2 10.53%
  • If they promised FPGA... maybe.

2 10.53%
  • AtGames is hopeless.

12 63.16%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is There Any Chance for the Genesis Mini?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher StuOhQ's Avatar

Sonic Is There Any Chance for the Genesis Mini?

Obviously, AtGames has built up quite the negative reputation with Sega fans after their past few clone consoles - and there's good reason for that (https://youtu.be/YcocHCVY0qo). From what I've seen, however, there was some slight improvement from the "Classic" model I got my hands on and reviewed and the newer "Flashback HD" unit.

It is still plagued with audio emulation issues, but footage from reviews like this one (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5jrLLphaXo&t=1012s) is much more faithful than what you see in my own review.

My point being: with the SLOW, yet steady, progress that AtGames has been making in the past few years - and their promise to completely rework the emulation with the Mini - do you htink there's any chance that it ends up being a halfway decent clone + a good assortment of games?

Let hear it!

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Well, if they screw it up, Sega will have a 1st hand account of it, so one way or another, some good has to come out of this.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    Sega will have a 1st hand account of it
    But Sega doesn't give a fuck! they don't care what crap AtGames sells as long as they get that sweet sweet money.

Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    But Sega doesn't give a fuck! they don't care what crap AtGames sells as long as they get that sweet sweet money.
    This is absolutely different case, and can't be compared to previous releases. It's an official answer to Nes/Snes mini-s and 30th anniversary celebration product so it's less likely they screw it up. It doesn't matter if it's AtGames or anyone else making it.

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by foxnoodles View Post
    This is absolutely different case, and can't be compared to previous releases. It's an official answer to Nes/Snes mini-s and 30th anniversary celebration product so it's less likely they screw it up. It doesn't matter if it's AtGames or anyone else making it.
    ^This, there's a big difference between AtGames simply announcing a new system compared to SEGA announcing a new system, if AtGames announces it, it's more or less par for the course since they've been doing it for almost a decade with little involvement from SEGA, if SEGA announces it on the other hand it's a bigger deal because it means SEGA is quite possibly more involved with the project compared to in the past and if so that could mean the consumer gets a better quality product in the end, of course this is pure speculation on my part but I honestly think SEGA is going to be more involved with this project to try and make sure the Genesis/Mega Drive Mini is an acceptable product for the fans that does the original hardware the justice it rightfully deserves.

Nameless One

a MD Mini is pointless. we already had tons of clones

on top of that, almost nobody cared about the great retro bundles they create for all the platforms, some of them including on only the ROM+Emulator, but actual ports of the games even with improvements, so I am not sure about the selling figures SEGA is thinking about.

personally I feel more interest in the RetroBIT new controllers / accessories

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by chameleon View Post
    a MD Mini is pointless. we already had tons of clones
    Yeah but most of those Genesis clones have various issues with some even using AtGames hardware so I think there is a place for a SEGA overseen and approved Genesis/Mega Drive system (assuming they're that involved with this which I hope they are), not only that but if you're going to use the tons of clones argument, one could counter argue that there are tons of famiclones out there as well and yet that didn't stop Nintendo from releasing the NES Classic Edition, so if they could do it why shouldn't SEGA be able to?

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

There's nobody at Sega in Japan that cares about retro gaming, and there hasn't been for a long time. That's why Sega has outsourced anything to do with its classic properties for the past 10 years. The best case scenario here is if M2 is involved with the MD Mini, but it's likely that the AtGames stuff will be considered "good enough" and they'll just go with it as it is.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    There's nobody at Sega in Japan that cares about retro gaming, and there hasn't been for a long time. That's why Sega has outsourced anything to do with its classic properties for the past 10 years. The best case scenario here is if M2 is involved with the MD Mini, but it's likely that the AtGames stuff will be considered "good enough" and they'll just go with it as it is.
    If what you say about nobody caring about the retro scene at Sega is true, and I'm not saying it isn't, how and why is that the case? 8-bit and 16-bit gaming is what made Sega, for Christ's sake. There must be SOMEBODY still left at Sega that cares about it's roots and history!

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Well, technically, their roots and history is in slot machines, juke boxes, pinball machine importing, and then electro-mechanical games that launched the arcade business(including a light gun game in 1968 flat out called "Duck Hunt," but mostly "Periscope," which stated the whole play-for-a-quarter thing that arcade video games would utilize).

Here's a couple of links if anyone wants more info:
    http://shmuplations.com/akiranagai/
    https://segaretro.org/Category:Elect...l_arcade_games

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

They've been pumping a dry well with the Genesis, by constantly putting out inferior clones of the system with glaring flaws in them. They need to start over, and release a Master System, then a PROPER Genesis with at least the ability to play Sega CD games.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by midnightrider View Post
    Well, technically, their roots and history is in slot machines, juke boxes, pinball machine importing, and then electro-mechanical games that launched the arcade business(including a light gun game in 1968 flat out called "Duck Hunt," but mostly "Periscope," which stated the whole play-for-a-quarter thing that arcade video games would utilize).

Here's a couple of links if anyone wants more info:
    http://shmuplations.com/akiranagai/
    https://segaretro.org/Category:Elect...l_arcade_games
    Yes I know that, but what brought Sega their real success worldwide? What brought them their time in the sun and transformed them into a household name? The 8-bit and 16-bit home console scene and the great IP's and games that went with that.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    If what you say about nobody caring about the retro scene at Sega is true, and I'm not saying it isn't, how and why is that the case? 8-bit and 16-bit gaming is what made Sega, for Christ's sake. There must be SOMEBODY still left at Sega that cares about it's roots and history!
    It probably happened during the Saturn era and after when Sega underwent a lot of restructuring. Hiroyuki Takahashi of Camelot Software said something to the effect that, despite being one of Sega's star developers just a few years earlier, around the time he was making Shining Force III, it seemed that nobody at Sega even knew what Shining Force was anymore. The environment had completely changed and he felt like an outsider. He subsequently parted ways with Sega and began developing for Nintendo.

I think although AT games is making it, the mini version of the megadrive will gain more media attention so I think Sega will need to make sure this one is the dogs danglies. So i vote I'm sure it will be a big improvement.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher StuOhQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rustybolts View Post
    Sega will need to make sure this one is the dogs danglies.
    Well, that's one way of putting it lol.

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Thread Information