Quantcast

Thread: Action Replay

Wildside Expert

Default Action Replay

Were Action Replay cartridges produced only during the mid and late 90's (while Saturn was active), or did they continue to be produced for years afterwards? I ask only because I'm curious as to why there are still so many brand new ones available today, and usually for only around $30 - $40.

It just seems odd that an accessory for a system that underperformed commercially was produced in such great quantities that it's still common (in new condition) 20 years later.

Sega's Schnitzel Wildside Expert Bratwurst's Avatar

They are without a doubt still being made. If you look closely enough you'll observe manufacturing variation, the card edges of the PCB aren't beveled/rounded, they tend to be green or red, and many of them use different colored plastics for the cart shell, etc.

The Action Replay I have has 1998 silkscreened on a blue circuit board, and it lacks nearly everything (No 4MB ram, no toggle switch, no label.)
    My selling/buying feedback through Sega-16, Atari Age, Digital Press and Nintendo Age

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Do they really ruin your cartridge slot

Wildside Expert

I have 2 AR's, one stock and one modded with Pseudo Saturn. I swap them out depending on what I'm playing. I've never had a problem with my cartridge slot.

One odd issue I have is that when I try to play my original disc of Marvel vs. Street Fighter with the stock AR, it boots to the credits screen, then goes back to the Saturn menu with a message that the cartridge is unsuitable for the system. I know It reads the disc because it advances from the Capcom screen to the credits screen, but won't go any further. When I play Vampire Savior, which also requires a 4MB card, it works fine with the same AR. I have to swap to my other AR to play MVSF.

Thread Information