Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sega Genesis S-Video, Stereo, Dual Overclock, Region Free Mods

Turricanator Wildside Expert SwampFox56's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by roadkill View Post
    I recognize that power LED pic, I've seen your overpriced S-Video modded Sega Genesis consoles for sale before on ebay but then they just all at once vanished. I usually check month-to-month for S-Video modded Genesis consoles on ebay just out of curiosity, I totally recognize that exact 'direct to camera lens' power LED pic from all of them with various colors (green, yellow, red, blue)

That is an absolute travesty for $150 btw
    This is the first S-video modded Genesis I've had up on eBay for two years. So I don't know what you're talking about in regards to 'my other consoles' on eBay. And a travesty in terms in mod work? I'd definitely appreciate some constructive criticism if you're willing to give it.
    e.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampFox56 View Post
    I'd definitely appreciate some constructive criticism if you're willing to give it.
    Where do I begin? Way too many mods that aren't needed first off, the wiring is all over the place (but I've seen worst). I am willing to admit that if I did the same amount of mods to my own Sega Genesis Model 1, it would probably look very similar to this, but I am an amateur with very few tools to work with and I don't even have a proper workbench. There would be no way I'd be able to sell it for $150, it would be more of a hobbyist console that I practiced on.

Edit: The outside of it has too many switches (seriously, a switch on the corner?). Cosmetically it's a mess as well. 12MHz isn't needed, but if you insist you should've put a 6 pin on-off-on switch for stock/10mhz/12mhz so that you'd eliminate the need for two extra switches. A composite jack isn't needed if there's an S-Video mod on a Genesis, just put 2 RCA jacks or 1 TRS jack for stereo audio output on the back of the console. You could have removed the RF modulator and used those two holes for S-Video and a TRS jack or for one of the switches.

If you're going to sell this on ebay without showing that pic of the inside, you run the risk of somebody returning it and making you pay for the return shipping. Crappy modders on ebay have been exposed so buyers have gotten more cautious on modded consoles they buy on there now.
    Last edited by roadkill; 05-26-2018 at 06:44 PM.

Where do I begin? Way too mods that aren't needed first off, the wiring is all over the place (but I've seen worst). I am willing to admit that if I did the same amount of mods to my own Sega Genesis Model 1, it would probably look very similar to this, but I am an amateur with very few tools to work with and I don't even have a proper workbench. There would be no way I'd be able to sell it for $150, it would be more of a hobbyist console that I practiced on. But why I am even bothering to tell this to a scam artist anyway
    Wiring needs to be cleaner. got it.
    e.

The outside of it has too many switches (seriously, a switch on the corner?) Cosmetically it's a mess as well. 12MHz isn't needed, but if you insist you should've put a 6 pin on-off-on switch so that you'd eliminate the need for two extra switches. A composite jack isn't needed if there's an S-Video mod on a Genesis, just put 2 RCA jacks or 1 TRS jack for stereo audio output on the back of the console. You could have removed the RF modulator and used those two holes for S-Video and a TRS jack or for one of the switches.
    The composite jack is added for convenience. I disagree with adding a TRS jack instead of two RCA jacks for stereo. Most TV's do not use 3.5mm jacks for audio, especially on S-video input. I thought about removing the RF mod, but I'd drilled the holes in that shell a very long time ago, so it was already there. I was reusing old parts. 12MHz was added because it really does help on low FPS games (such as Hard Drivin' by Tengen). I suppose I could've used a DPDT switch on the overclock, but I do not have any atm, and I'm broke. Like I said, I'm reusing old parts here.

Honestly, I really wish Helder made a version of the Genesis 2 variable overclock mod for the Model 1 Genesis systems. That would make overclock much cleaner, and eliminate the need for two crystals. Suppose I could design my own and make it public on OSHPark like I plan to do with my drop-in version of Batari's S-video mod for the 2600.

If you're going to sell this on ebay without showing that pic of the inside, you run the risk of somebody returning it and making you pay for the return shipping. Crappy modders on ebay have been exposed so buyers have gotten more cautious on modded consoles they buy on there now.
    I know Voultar has done a lot of videos on crappy modded eBay systems and they're very informative. I aspire to do clean mod work. I thought that my mod work on this was better than everyone else seems to think it is - but feedback is good and the more feedback I get, the better I can do.
    e.

Most TV's do not use 3.5mm jacks for audio.
    But what is very common are 3.5mm to stereo RCA Y cables, so TRS is not a problem at all.
    Last edited by roadkill; 05-26-2018 at 06:47 PM.

Those cables are common yes, but I too am not a fan of TRS jacks and prefer to use separate RCAs as well. Having said that I'm sure you would dislike the back of my genesis as well with three RCAs on the back right, region switch in the corner same as here with my S-video mounted where the channel select was. I did remove the RF and put my s-video board there and designed it with the variable trimmers facing towards the opening where the RF modulator was. As a result I can sorta adjust those trimmers without having to open the case. I also modded a 32x with permanent s-video out only and no audio by removing the original AV out port and putting an s-video out port in its place. I did this as it was to be used with this same Genesis so having audio out on the 32x wasn't needed and I had heard at the time that s-video out from a 32x would eliminate the jail bars (It didn't...). So yeah I still have it sitting behind my Genesis but have a stock 32x on it now with a set of HDretrovision cables coming off it.

Anyway, I find the RCAs to be classy and don't mind them in the least. I use them still on all mods I do for people. If someone wanted a TRS jack instead I'd of course put it in, but no one has requested that yet.

Death Adder's minion

Yup, it's mah dads account. He was actually very closely involved with my quasi-business the entire time. I don't have full access to it at all. Like I said, it's not my account. The fuck ups I made were entirely my fault, however, not his. Also, I never had the eBay auction linked on this post - had it been, it would have been put under the sub-thread where eBay auctions are supposed to go.
    So your father knows about your BS and is ok that stolen property is being stored at his home? That is sickening. There really is no bottom to be found in this mess. Just when I think I've heard it all the ScamFox comes out of his hole.....

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Those cables are common yes, but I too am not a fan of TRS jacks and prefer to use separate RCAs as well. Having said that I'm sure you would dislike the back of my genesis as well with three RCAs on the back right, region switch in the corner same as here with my S-video mounted where the channel select was. I did remove the RF and put my s-video board there and designed it with the variable trimmers facing towards the opening where the RF modulator was. As a result I can sorta adjust those trimmers without having to open the case. I also modded a 32x with permanent s-video out only and no audio by removing the original AV out port and putting an s-video out port in its place. I did this as it was to be used with this same Genesis so having audio out on the 32x wasn't needed and I had heard at the time that s-video out from a 32x would eliminate the jail bars (It didn't...). So yeah I still have it sitting behind my Genesis but have a stock 32x on it now with a set of HDretrovision cables coming off it.

Anyway, I find the RCAs to be classy and don't mind them in the least. I use them still on all mods I do for people. If someone wanted a TRS jack instead I'd of course put it in, but no one has requested that yet.
    I don't have a problem with RCAs, but TRS is no way at all inconvenient and I was just suggesting that either one can be used. I like 3.5mm TRS because I can directly plug in my old 2.1 PC speakers into it. But I also have a Genesis 1 that I modded myself with 3 RCA jacks in the back. For $150, this Genesis is too sloppy both inside and out and is not worth the price at all. Besides that though, I read the AtariAge topic and this guy has some seriously bad rep. After looking back on what was sold with that ebay account, it could have actually been stolen consoles.
    Last edited by roadkill; 05-31-2018 at 07:14 AM.

Gumbious Priest Road Rasher Raja's Avatar

SwampFox still has my Game Gear and GGTV that I've yet to have sent to me. Had given up on it at this point but if he is coming back and I receive it I won't hold it against him. Chances are I won't see it though because of his finances. The first GGTV I sent him he wired incorrectly and fried it. Bought a second one but I've never seen it. At least it was only a Game Gear and not a prized console. I was about as nice as could be about it all tbh.

wow nice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thread Information