Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis 1 Headphone Output Unreliable

Default Genesis 1 Headphone Output Unreliable

The 3.5mm jack on my model 1 is getting a little unreliable. I'm assuming it's cold/cracked solder. Is it a simple resoldering job? I've never opened a Genesis before.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

If it is a cold solder joint, then yes, it's very simple. The headphone jack is connected to the main board by 3 solder points, you'd just need to go over all six of those. It might be that the contacts are just dirty, however, so get hold of some contact cleaner and give them a good spray down.

Sounds good, will report back.

Also try a different aux cord

I was wrong, soldering is solid. The ground noise comes and goes and appears to be coming from the circuitry. No effect by physically doing anything. Caps? Original HDG model 1 here.

Aux ports fail. Do you notice a change when using a different aux cable or wiggling the cable? Alternatively, have you tried a different tv or power supply?

No change. The ground noise can be heard simply by plugging in headphones to the jack.

Do you get this sound when outputting audio from the rear port?

Wow, the audio from the rear port is terrible. To test this, I just turned on the system and waited for the Sega CD music to start playing. If I removed the connecting 3.5mm cable and listened to only the SCD output, the ground noise goes away completely.

I just tested it however, and the ground noise is gone from both ports. So it is definitely conditional on something. I'm not using any shielding plates, that might be it.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    Wow, the audio from the rear port is terrible. To test this, I just turned on the system and waited for the Sega CD music to start playing. If I removed the connecting 3.5mm cable and listened to only the SCD output, the ground noise goes away completely.

I just tested it however, and the ground noise is gone from both ports. So it is definitely conditional on something. I'm not using any shielding plates, that might be it.
    I wouldn't think the plates are the main cause.

I've used a SEGA CD both with and without the plates and didn't really notice any difference. Does the Genesis audio alone sound this way when the SEGA CD isn't even connected?
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

What I mean is the video cable you use to connect the Sega to your television, use the audio from that port and see how it sounds. You havenít mentioned if you tried a different 3.5mm cable either. Testing those two things will isolate the issue to the console and narrow which part of the circuitry it could be. What revision is your board? Have you removed all the shielding and taken the board out of the case completely and tested it then?

FWIW I can't reproduce the tone at all now. If/when it comes back I'll do the tests you guys mentioned.

What revision is your board?
    VA6.

Sounds like you had a short that corrected itself when moving everything around. Itís possible either the aux cable or the cables connecting your jack to the board are in need of a replacement. Or the rf shielding was touching something it shouldnít.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

The jack itself could be screwy. I would try soldering another jack on top of it, in parallel, to see if it's the original jack, or something else in the audio chain that's going bad. If the jack is borked, it can be replaced.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

So the noise happens only if the Sega CD is connected. Doesn't matter if the Genesis is in Genesis mode or Sega CD mode.

Unplugging the Sega CD (while the Genesis is playing a cartridge) makes the tone louder (quite loud). Plugging it back in drops the tone back to normal levels.

Next step is to test the rear output. My guess is it'll be there. It's some kind of interference with the SCD it seems.

I don't have the Sega CD shield plates. Is it possible to make some makeshift shields out of tinfoil or something similar to test if the tone is affected?

Thread Information