Quantcast

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsoft’s Next-Gen Xbox Will Arrive in 2020

Thumbs up Microsoft’s Next-Gen Xbox Will Arrive in 2020

Microsoft’s Next-Gen Xbox Will Arrive in 2020
    Posted on June 12, 2018 by Brad Sams

While Microsoft may have been founded as being a software company, there is no question about it that they are a hardware company too. With the Surface family, the Xbox, and peripherals, the company doesn’t shy away from building its own products and has established a sizeable fanbase who is interested in ‘what’s next’ for the company when it relates to these types of products.

This past week, I was tipped off that the next generation Xbox was codenamed Scarlett and in an effort to track down if this information was accurate, I was able to view content that highlighted several unannounced Microsoft products that are coming in the next two years.

Microsoft is planning for the next Xbox console release to arrive in 2020. But what is more interesting, is that Microsoft describes ‘Scarlett’ as a family of devices; meaning we may see multiple pieces of hardware released that year.

That date may seem relatively close considering that the Xbox One X launched last year but Microsoft is aggressively moving ahead with hardware in the console space to shake up the industry. But what we don’t know is if this is a brand new set of devices or simply a more ‘powerful’ Xbox One that is again, fully backward compatible with all the content available today.

Considering how much effort Microsoft has put into backward compatibility, I would expect the Scarlett devices to support current gen games but offer more advanced features and align possibly with Microsoft’s upcoming game-streaming services.

As with any leak this far out, timing and plans can change but I was able to verify the information I viewed as being authentic and fully believe that the company is on-track to release the new console in two years.
    https://www.thurrott.com/xbox/161232...ll-arrive-2020

I believe PlayStation 5 will also be launched in 2020.

I think that Fall 2019 for the next gen Xbox console(s) and PS5 is too soon, while Fall 2021+ is just too far away, especially with every version of PS4 & Xbox One being tied to those pathetic Jaguar CPUs. Even Xbox boss Phil Spencer said at E3 that the CPU and GPU in today's consoles are "a little bit out of whack".

Also, after reading all the impressions and seeing the reactions to the Cyberpunk 2077 demo, and not expecting the game to be out until at least 2020, I'm hoping for next gen console versions at some point -- even though CDP has said this game is targeting PS4, Xbox One and PC, although the tech is ready to take advantage of next gen systems.

Anyway, the current gen base consoles came out in late 2013, and the PS4 Pro & X1X being the mid-point of the generation in 2016-2017, it makes perfect sense to me to have next gen consoles out in late 2020 -- I know there are people that hope & expect the next gen consoles to be out in late 2019, and then there are those that hope they don't arrive until 2022, I think late 2020 for the western world is right, even if some territories don't get PS5/Xbox Scarlet til early 2021.

What do you think?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

2020 is a pretty reasonable date. A 7 year release cycle between last gen and next is pretty fair, even with the mid-gen hardware refreshes.

I wonder what the hardware will be like? I've seen speculation of an AMD Ryzen+VEGA based APU. There will might be something faster by 2020 though. Maybe 32GB of RAM? SSD storage would be great to use over a hard drive. I run SSDs in my PCs and it reaaally cuts down on load times and eliminates texture pop-in. If that is too expensive, a hybrid SSD+HDD solution might be viable.

I don't play on consoles, but I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy the next console gen.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Won't be 32GB of ram. Not if they want to keep it at $400. Won't be much of an increase of current ram but more likely Nram or 3D Stacked ram. So not as big of a jump in amount but much better.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker MasakariPrime's Avatar

Both MS and Sony reveal their consoles at E3 2019, what will be interesting is if they will save the release for 2020 or not.

I think Sony will try to one-up and come out first with PS5 for Holiday 2019, that'll be 3 years after PS4 Pro. If MS aren't prepared for that they're screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by ComradeOj View Post
    2020 is a pretty reasonable date. A 7 year release cycle between last gen and next is pretty fair, even with the mid-gen hardware refreshes.

I wonder what the hardware will be like? I've seen speculation of an AMD Ryzen+VEGA based APU. There will might be something faster by 2020 though. Maybe 32GB of RAM?
    AMD Zen 2 architecture + AMD Navi or Next Gen GPU, or a mix of features from both. Sony is using Navi for PS5.

Vega was very late coming to the PC market in mid-late 2017. As of 2015, what became Vega was originally due in late 2016 or early 2017.
    No way will Microsoft want a GPU that's outdated in late 2020 while Sony is going with Navi.

RAM probably won't be 32GB, but it won't be 16GB either. Most likely 24GB GDDR6 on a 384-bit bus.
    It's being built by the same team that built Xbox One X, which used a 384-bit bus and 12GB GDDR5.

3D stacked RAM such as HBM2 or the upcoming HBM3 (2020) is probably too expensive for a $400, even $500 console in 2020.

24GB of 384-bit GDDR6 can provide 864 GB/s bandwidth.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/12338...f-gddr6-memory,

Probably enough for a next-gen console that's going to have 11 to 15 TFlops (Digital Foundry's estimate for PS5/next-gen XB) plus an 8 core/16 thread CPU in the Zen/Zen+ or Zen 2 family.
    Regardless of what iteration of Zen CPU is used, it'll be more bandwidth hungry than Jaguar.

Also, 24 GB GDDR6 RAM won't need to be in a clamshell configuration like the 8GB GDDR5 was on launch PS4s which was changed later once higher capacity GDDR5 chips came out.
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 06-15-2018 at 10:41 PM.

Banned by Administrators

That's nice, parallaxscroll, but how many background layers can it scroll?

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

playstation 5 already been confirmed for late 2021 or 2022 the soonest. definitely not earlier. microsoft simply want an advantage by releasing earlier they did with the 360.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    That's nice, parallaxscroll, but how many background layers can it scroll?
    Also how many colours on-screen can it handle?
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

Banned by Administrators

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    playstation 5 already been confirmed for late 2021 or 2022 the soonest. definitely not earlier. microsoft simply want an advantage by releasing earlier they did with the 360.
    When was the last time an early launch worked, the NES? (And that's because of cheater carts helping keep competitive, among total monopoly by Nintendo in face of no real competition) Some of you might say Sega Genesis, but it really don't seem to have really kicked off until Sonic the Hedgehog in 91 alongside SNES launch (plus Sega got lucky because Nintendo cheapened out on main CPU speed, among other issues with SNES). Saturn failed because of early launch (among many, many other things). Predictably the Dreamcast failed next because we all knew the PS2 would use that lead time to come out with a more OP console.

Yes, the 360 did come a year earlier, but it got lucky in that after the PS3 arrived, the 360 was still more powerful (on top of being much easier to program/develop for, resulting in almost always superior 360 ports; whether it be faster load times, higher frame rate, resolution and actually having Anti-Alaising or AA that wasn't quite blurry).

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

the 360 wasn't more powerful at all. it was more expensive. still the only reason 360 made as big an impact was because it ran without competition for a while and it had oblivion. ps3 would eventually beat it, especially big time in europe. due to difficult programming the first 2 years or so 360 seemed to be on the same foot in terms of power with multiplatform games. that is true but already in 2007 we saw uncharted which tore 360 a new one.

Banned by Administrators

How many games have you played on both consoles from beginning to end on both PS3 and 360, bultje112? Don't make me waste time explaining to you what I've first hand experience with. But feel free to check out Eurogamer's Face Off.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker MasakariPrime's Avatar

360 made a big impact not just because of any one thing, it was a combinations of factors:

+ releasing 12 months before ps3
    + being easy to develop for
    + MS developing great relations with many publishers and developers, they had many exclusives in the first 3 years
    + great emphasis in online infrastructure that was unmatched at the time (XBL)
    + great "must have" games early on like Gears of War 1 and Oblivion
    + PS3 came out and it was more expensive and had fewer worthwhile games as well as a crappy online service
    + PS3 took quite awhile to develop a good library of games; I had an Xbox 360 and many of my friends did get a PS3 because they had PS1s and PS2s (Portugal is basically Sonyland) but their reasoning was always "cheap bluray player + insert game that was almost coming out but ended up taking years to actually come out"

I still believe that if it wasn't for PlayStation brand loyalty and BR winning the format wars, the PS3 would have had the same fate the Xbox One has - holding a 2:1 deficit in sales. As it stands it ended up recovering and by the end of the generation were equal.

What's so early about a 2019 release? Why do consoles have to stagnate a good 10 years now before some actual new hardware arrives, and a lot of you guys are like - oh dear lord, please don't release a year or two sooner. Do we need more time for late PS4 releases, so that they can get repackaged as "remasters" for the PS5's initial software drought?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

360 did in the end be 3rd place in sales. So launching early technically didn't work. It was by no means a failure but they were in last place.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

2020 does sound reasonable. For, both, Sony and Microsoft.

Thread Information