Quantcast

Thread: Ok you dorks! What is the best Sega Genesis Collection?

Genesis Ok you dorks! What is the best Sega Genesis Collection?

As in emulation, Sound Quality and control. There's quite a few collections across newer consoles so let's hear it!
    05/05/15

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I would say the best compilation by far was the Mega Drive Classic Collection on the 360 and PS3. Fantastic library of games and some great extras. Oh and the games are emulated very well!

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I would have thought somewhere between a PC and a flashcart on the original console .

Serious answer: Can't disagree with MDB, but I do have to give some props to the latest one for giving North American gamers a chance to buy Alien Soldier and Wonder Boy III.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

360 collection. Tho te PS4 one is still darn good. Don't think the sound is as bad as people day. It's still pretty close. It's not distracting to me.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Yeah, the PS3/360 one was fantastic. This new one on the PS4/XBONE is also very good; but what sets it apart from the rest is the Rewind function. That alone makes me go back to it over and over, rather than just playing the original games on real hardware from my own library. Well, that, and the first official release of Alien Soldier States side.

Honorable mentions go to the non-Genesis games such as from the Sega Master System, Arcades and ESPECIALLY the Game Gear (such as from the Sonic Mega Collection)

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Doesn't the PS2 set do 240p? Is the 360/PS3 set crt friendly?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker waterclaws6's Avatar

The best megadrive collections to me are either some of the Sega games releases by M2 on PS2, 360, and PS3 or the ones that are collections of 3D releases like Sega 3D Fukkoku Archives, which we only got volume 2 as Sega 3D Classics Collection. The great thing about these M2 releases are that the visual and sound are always top notch compared to other collections and also many options like the true 240p modes on the PS2 collections, various sound options for consoles, and alternate region versions are included. Also M2 releases filters and shaders don't offend my eyes which is also great and don't produce the lookin good effect.
    Attachment 14226

I also have a soft spot for the PSP version of Sega Genesis Collection and the PC version of Sega Smash Pack vol 1 & 2. Both collections are great emulations of the source material, while the Sega Genesis Collection includes cool extras like unlockable arcade games. PC version of Sega Smash Pack is barebones and needs a no-cd patch to fix a bug but the quality of the emulation is better than most collectons put out by sega with the exception of M2 and Sonic Team releases, probably due to using a version of Kega.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker waterclaws6's Avatar

The current collections are great value for their money, however the current crop of genesis games on steam are the best, due to being able to extract the roms the game's directory and use it in somthing that performs and sound nicer like either Kega Fusion for really low-end toasters or the best genesis emulator currently on PC is Retroarch with the genesis plus gx core. Genesis GX core has many great options like the usual retroarch shader and video options and also having nuked's audio core and being able to apply a proper low-pass filter for audio is nice and this works on my toaster of a machine, which is intel atom baytrail at 1.6 ghz. Also low latency and true 240p support is also very useful, plus retroarch seems to run on everything too.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Doesn't the PS2 set do 240p? Is the 360/PS3 set crt friendly?
    The PS2 comp is interlaced IIRC.

Can't mention PS2 and compilations without namedropping M2's later Sega AGES releases, Gunstar Heroes Treasure Box and Fantasy Zone Complete Collection. They do 240p and progressive scan and are the gold standard in terms of options/versions etc. Japan only of course.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I'll chime in with another vote for Sonic's Ultimate Genesis/MD Collection for the PS360. Was happy with the emulation, most of the sound was decent to good, and it has some cool unlockables. The most notable of which for me was the sms Golden Axe Warrior which I think was unlocked by playing Sonic 2 with the 2nd player controller, which was weird, but I was thrilled with it. Such a great game.

Anyway, awesome lineup of games, and good emulation. Definitely worth the price of admission.

Outrunner

Dreamcast Smash Pack

/thread

A friend of mine from the UK sent me this.

Really surprised how well done this is. Did the U.S. ever get this collection?
    05/05/15

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Yes

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    I'll chime in with another vote for Sonic's Ultimate Genesis/MD Collection for the PS360. Was happy with the emulation, most of the sound was decent to good, and it has some cool unlockables. The most notable of which for me was the sms Golden Axe Warrior which I think was unlocked by playing Sonic 2 with the 2nd player controller, which was weird, but I was thrilled with it. Such a great game.

Anyway, awesome lineup of games, and good emulation. Definitely worth the price of admission.
    It's also one of the few ports of the fantastic original Phantasy Star.

Thread Information