Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The House of the Dead appreciation thread

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Default The House of the Dead appreciation thread

The Saturn version of the game is criticized for having poor quality textures and many missing objects and animations but personally I absolutely it. On some level I love it for its badness, in the same way that I laugh at a really bad b-movie. Maybe not worth spending several hundred dollars on unless you’re a die hard fan, but it works perfectly with a pseudosaturn.

I actually modded my Stunner with one of those arcade quality switches just to play this game. And maybe some death crimson.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

I honestly never played the Saturn version. Just the arcade version but I loved it and 2 but never really played the series after that. Not played 3 or Overkill. The horrendous voice acting is part of the charm as it fits better with the B movie premis. I don't remember which game changed the blood to green. It is kinda strange how much of a downgrade it is on Saturn.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    I honestly never played the Saturn version. Just the arcade version but I loved it and 2 but never really played the series after that. Not played 3 or Overkill. The horrendous voice acting is part of the charm as it fits better with the B movie premis. I don't remember which game changed the blood to green. It is kinda strange how much of a downgrade it is on Saturn.
    The US version has a setting for red blood.

Japanese is stuck with green

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

I own the pal version but I can't stand how butchered it looks. I always play the second game on the dreamcast and virtua cop 2 on the saturn. that last one really shows what the saturn can do.

if you love how cheesy it is then be sure to also get zombie revenge on the dreamcast, which plays in the same universe. really great game.

Saturn version is ace, even if looks rough.... Its play great and features everything from the Arcade game and plays and feels like the Arcade game. It also makes some of the best use of the Saturn sound hardware , with amazing chip music and sound effects
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

I can't say much since I only played the PC version (with a couple of audio tracks bitrotten, argh - disc came like that >:​/).

Does the Saturn version also pull off the bullshit where your score gets reset to 0 if you get hit even once? (not on continuing, just a miss)

Saturn

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    I can't say much since I only played the PC version (with a couple of audio tracks bitrotten, argh - disc came like that >:​/).

Does the Saturn version also pull off the bullshit where your score gets reset to 0 if you get hit even once? (not on continuing, just a miss)
    I no longer buy vintage disc based games. Archival grade CDRs only.

Taiyo Yuden/JVC

What? No not at all...

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    I no longer buy vintage disc based games. Archival grade CDRs only.

Taiyo Yuden/JVC
    Some discs are just defective since manufacture. My PC versions of Sonic 3D and Ray Storm both have popping in the audio tracks, and my copies of House of the Dead and Sonic R have no CD audio at all. What do they all have in common? Same publisher.

As for the Saturn version of HotD - an ugly looking port that I wouldn't spend too much money on personally, although it plays okay.

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    Some discs are just defective since manufacture. My PC versions of Sonic 3D and Ray Storm both have popping in the audio tracks, and my copies of House of the Dead and Sonic R have no CD audio at all. What do they all have in common? Same publisher.

As for the Saturn version of HotD - an ugly looking port that I wouldn't spend too much money on personally, although it plays okay.
    I had a copy of Sonic Heroes for GameCube that was unbeatable due to a defect... mint disc.. one switch wouldn’t open a door you were required to go through...

Yeah I get the impression my disc was already defective from the get-go (which is probably why it was cheap). Note that I don't mean the tracks skip or anything, they outright play noise (in a small portion in track 10, nearly all of it for track 12 - EDIT: wait just checked track 11 and yeah that one is nearly entirely noise @_@). The rest of the disc is fine, and seems to have remained in the same state in over a decade (as I was copying over the files some months ago just fine - was thinking on ripping the data track and putting it together with downloaded versions of the audio tracks).

Also I can't even tell what version I have... disc claims to be Japanese, but game is in English and the box cover doesn't match any of the PC ones (but it's in English and even mentioned Voodoo support). And it does look like it's too high quality for a random bootleg (as I said, it was defective so that may be the reason why it was circulating around cheap). Not sure if I still have the cover around, but I have the disc, I may take a pic of it later.

EDIT: scratches aside (disc has seen some abuse :​v), I don't think those gaps in the tracks are normal... (and yes, they're under the scratches, the tracks themselves seem to have come out like that) So I guess that yes, probably a defective disc.

Last edited by Sik; 07-06-2018 at 01:17 AM.

Yeah I get the impression my disc was already defective from the get-go (which is probably why it was cheap). Note that I don't mean the tracks skip or anything, they outright play noise (in a small portion in track 10, nearly all of it for track 12 - EDIT: wait just checked track 11 and yeah that one is nearly entirely noise @_@). The rest of the disc is fine, and seems to have remained in the same state in over a decade (as I was copying over the files some months ago just fine - was thinking on ripping the data track and putting it together with downloaded versions of the audio tracks).

Also I can't even tell what version I have... disc claims to be Japanese, but game is in English and the box cover doesn't match any of the PC ones (but it's in English and even mentioned Voodoo support). And it does look like it's too high quality for a random bootleg (as I said, it was defective so that may be the reason why it was circulating around cheap). Not sure if I still have the cover around, but I have the disc, I may take a pic of it later.

EDIT: scratches aside (disc has seen some abuse :​v), I don't think those gaps in the tracks are normal... (and yes, they're under the scratches, the tracks themselves seem to have come out like that) So I guess that yes, probably a defective disc.

Sounds like you need to download an ISO brah.. darkwater rips FTW

i have the saturn version and 2 light guns yet i cant seem to find them! It's pissing me off pretty hardcore. I loved the house of the dead, the later ones got lame but 1 and 2 are masterpieces.

typing of the dead is pretty cool too and a legit way to get a girl who may not like games to give it a try. pretty fun time!

Master of Shinobi

It depends on how the disc is mastered, but having visible gaps between the audio tracks is perfectly normal. I remember looking at how pretty they were back in 1991 on the first CDs I got. They reminded me of the gaps on vinyls.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cabear View Post
    i have the saturn version and 2 light guns yet i cant seem to find them! It's pissing me off pretty hardcore. I loved the house of the dead, the later ones got lame but 1 and 2 are masterpieces.

typing of the dead is pretty cool too and a legit way to get a girl who may not like games to give it a try. pretty fun time!
    oh man that sucks. this talk makes me want to play some virtua cop 2 right now though. fortunately my lightguns are ready to go. nothing beats dual wielding bad ass mode.

Thread Information