Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "next gen graphics"

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Xbox 360 "next gen graphics"

No, I'm not talking about PS5 or the next Xbox but past generations where screenshots or videos showing off what "next-gen" games will look like before those systems launched.

Take for instance the first game shown for the 7th generation in I want to saw 2005 before 360 was shown. Dark Sector. yes, Dark Sector was released but the game that carried the name was some emo guy with a boomerang. The concept showed what would eventually become Warframe on modern consoles. It's funny to watch this now as back then this looked impressive. Now I can't help look how terrible the animations look. It also just looks very dated.

Screens or vids are welcome. They can be canceled games or released games. Bullshots (think Red Steel on Wii rofl) or games like Dark Sector that become something different. But it has to be pre-console launch or early in graphics hype for the generation. Or even just talk about claims like MS hyping Lost Odyssey has had the CGI scenes switch over to gameplay seamlessly as they promised we could not tell a difference or FFVII PS3 demo. It's fun to look back at now as I think as time passes it's much easier to laugh to think how shocked we were at one time.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I don't know if I'd consider it next gen graphics, but Aliens: Colonial Marines in 2013 had a trailer that showed what the game was supposed to look like. Sega ended up with a lawsuit against Gearbox, for their failure to deliver the advertised game.

A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Warhawk on PS3. It was one of the games I was most excited for, but somehow I never ended up buying it. I remember how amazing the huge swarms of planes looked at the time.

Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

I mentioned Red Steel on Wii and before the system's release, Ubisoft released plenty of bullshots. Here is just a taste.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

The promo pics of Gear of War looked too good to be true. When it finally came out it actually looked better.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Japanese Sonic CD FTW!!! Master of Shinobi Ecco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    The promo pics of Gear of War looked too good to be true. When it finally came out it actually looked better.
    ^My housemate used to play that game, yes it looked realistic, but the brown / grey colors, and the imagery of destroyed cities, was very monotonous and boring, I thought.

To be fair those early years of AAA shooters that generation was all brown and grey. It was a running joke for a while.

I wish the article was online but there was a Next Gen magazine article trying to prove how Sonic Adventure's graphics were not pre-rendered CGI. I also have a scan of Shenmue with a blurb on a screenshot that this is real-time and not pre-rendered. I have not owned a scanner in many years so forgive the 2003 quality.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    To be fair those early years of AAA shooters that generation was all brown and grey. It was a running joke for a while.
    They were hardly that and that came from Nintendo fans with a grudge and trying to knock the 360 and PS3, becasue the Wii system had Trademark Nintendo lame spec's. So we got silly comments of 'Brown and Grey' and 'Shinny' graphics
    Anyway... I'm still waiting for any game to match the visuals of SONY complete bull and totally fraudulent Motostorm E3 showing

SONY need locking up for their fraud, when it comes to showing off games for the 1st time
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Nah, most AAA games were FPS games those early years as they were the most in thing then and many of them had a muted color pallette. Maybe the joke got overblown but it did become over saturated with them for a while. Of course, many games did come out that had the wonderful use of color like a game I will post in this very thread.

https://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Phil...n_And_Grey.php

I could not believe this was as an actual screenshot in 2007. While it still looks nice, it's not the how can they achieve this mind blown pic it once was for me. This and Blue Dragon just didn't seem possible to me back then.

Last edited by Leynos; 07-10-2018 at 05:36 AM.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

I remember how misleading the TV commercial(s) for FFVII seemed at the time, since it 100% consisted of cinema footage, but not even the in-game fmv. They used the raw cgi footage.

They also gave away the major spoiler that so many people insisted they were shocked by bitd.

Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

It has grown customary this gen to showcase optimized PC graphics on multiplats. I have come to accept I have to lower my expectations when playing those on my PS4. The Witcher III and Final Fantasy XV come to mind.

Master of Shinobi

The tech demo for the first Crysis game back in 2005 or 06 looked miles ahead of the actual game, and still looks incredible to this date.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

That reminds me of what happened with Watch Dogs. The game at E3 had all kinds of lighting and physics effects that didnít arrive with the retail game. The PC gamers were the most vocal about it.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=L_A6Z3gkXlk
    Last edited by gamevet; 07-10-2018 at 02:17 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information