Quantcast

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Mega Drive Shock (new website!)

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

One thing about Sword of Sodan is that it doesn't look too bad from screenshots, with its big, detailed sprites and all. And it was an early title. I remember thinking how cool the box art looked at the time:

The Japanese cover design looks cool as well:

The game just plays terribly and really misses the point of fun.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I was very much looking forward to Sword of Sodan, which appeared to have impossibly good graphics. Although the visuals turned out to be janky, there was still some nice parts mixed in and it made me optimistic about the potential for coloring/shading/detail of sprites in Genesis games.

But part way through the first level I wondered how it was ever allowed to ship as-is.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One retronostalgia's Avatar

I'm mystified as to why anyone would want to play the Genesis port of Altered Beast now that MAME makes the arcade original so accessible. It's so much more fluid and polished... the quality jump is way more than just the arcade voice samples IMO.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by retronostalgia View Post
    I'm mystified as to why anyone would want to play the Genesis port of Altered Beast now that MAME makes the arcade original so accessible. It's so much more fluid and polished... the quality jump is way more than just the arcade voice samples IMO.
    The same can be said for any port. But I think you'll find that for a lot of people, there is some value or 'authenticity' in playing a game the way they used to play it back in the day. Assuming you have a setup capable of playing MAME on your TV (which not all people do), there's still something that feels off about playing an arcade game on a TV with a controller and not in a cab.

Wildside Expert

The Genesis version is faster-paced and doesn't overwhelm you with enemies, so it has more forward momentum. I really enjoy it more.

Gryson - That's generally true, but there are a few games that were better in port due to rebalancing and gameplay tweaks; The Combatribes is frustrating to the point of being barely playable in single-player in the arcades, and you literally never get the chance to use the cooler moves (like smashing heads against the pavement), whereas the SNES port is much more reasonable. I don't even care that the levels were truncated; it's fun VS not fun. Sunset Riders on SNES also plays a bit more smoothly, as does Splatterhouse on TG16. TMNT IV: Turtles in Time has some really weak sound effect for hits, so it's more satisfying on SNES.
    Another thing for me is that finite lives and continues are more motivating than having infinite credits via MAME. I use MAME for arcade exclusives, or games I really just far prefer on arcade (Final Fight, Capcom's The Punisher, most VS fighters), and I set myself credit limits to finish them so it doesn't get boring, but there are times when I do feel the port is better.
    Last edited by Jules Walter; 11-10-2018 at 06:20 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

About Altered Beast, the Mega Drive port is said to play better. It also has added parallax scrollings. But at the same time it lacks some visual effects like when the screen turns grey during the boss fights. Like I said it was rushed but still good.

But there are plenty of ports which are better than the arcade, either on Mega Drive or other systems.

There are also plenty of people who genuinely enjoy playing home ports regardless of whether the arcade versions are better or not. Sometimes they just prefer how the ports look, how they sound... Sometimes the ports have additional content which still makes them worth playing in any cases... Some people might also prefer to play with certain pads/sticks rather than others... So many reasons...

Master of Shinobi

generally speaking most 16-bit ports loose a lot of frames of animation in most if not all the sprites. So the gameplay may be sometimes subjectively smoother or better, it is almost always jerkier. On the MD there's also usually the big issue of losing a lot of color, the sound, some nice rotating/scaling effects, etc etc. As I always say, there would be way better ports if all those early MD ports were on bigger ROMs, but alas.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One retronostalgia's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    The same can be said for any port. But I think you'll find that for a lot of people, there is some value or 'authenticity' in playing a game the way they used to play it back in the day. Assuming you have a setup capable of playing MAME on your TV (which not all people do), there's still something that feels off about playing an arcade game on a TV with a controller and not in a cab.
    Hmm, I guess if the goal is an "authentic" as possible experience then yes, you need an arcade cab + stick + CRT.

I played many hours of Genesis Altered Beast back in '89 when it was one of the few games I had, and I enjoyed it quite a bit, but once MAME came along and I could compare side by side I dropped the Genesis one pretty quick.

Also Jules, your comment about infinite credits is on point. Lots of games get very boring very quickly if you don't set credit limits!

One thing about Sword of Sodan is that it doesn't look too bad from screenshots, with its big, detailed sprites and all. And it was an early title. I remember thinking how cool the box art looked at the time:

The Japanese cover design looks cool as well:

The game just plays terribly and really misses the point of fun.
    Yeah, back in 90s when i saw it on magazines looks very cool
    also the BLOOD.. the possibility of cut the heads off sell the game for me!

nowadays everybody says that it is a crap.. but when you have 12/14 years olds the things is diferent..
    in my head its just a hard game and i'm must be better to finish it..
    i have good times playing it with my brother..

much time later i got the amiga version that is much better...

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

MD port is amazng for the time.. the voices is not crispy like the arcade but is more cooler for me...
    also you got the parallax and etc..
    also i always hate the fact the screen becomes black and white when you face the bosses, thanks that this feture are absent on MD.
    another thing that i dosen't like in the arcade is the special animation of dragon.. i thinhk is much better on the md

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Altered Beast on the Mega Drive is an all time classic and a sheer nostalgia overload for me. I've played the arcade game a few times and it's very impressive just how much the Mega Drive port gets right and, in a few cases, even improves on it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Yohko16's Avatar

@chilled: the Mega Drive usually has the best arcade ports of its time so I'm not sure why you're so whiny. Some losses have to be expected given the technical differences with arcade boards and ROM size but overall for a 1988 console that only cost $190 at launch, it's quite the treat to have such quality at home.

So many good arcade ports on Mega Drive (Darius II, Columns, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Gain Ground, Marble Madness, Strider, Golden Axe, Puyo Puyo 1 and 2...) and many that are actually better than the arcade versions! (Hellfire, Zero Wing, Atomic Runner, Gauntlet, Snow Bros...).

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    MD port is amazng for the time.. the voices is not crispy like the arcade but is more cooler for me...
    also you got the parallax and etc..
    also i always hate the fact the screen becomes black and white when you face the bosses, thanks that this feture are absent on MD.
    another thing that i dosen't like in the arcade is the special animation of dragon.. i thinhk is much better on the md
    The voices sound great indeed and the parallax scrollings is a great addition! But I disagree about the screen that turns black and white when facing the bosses, I think it's a cool feature but I also think that Sega dropped it deliberately to make screenshots looking better on Mega Drive console and game boxes but I might be wrong on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    So many good arcade ports on Mega Drive (Darius II, Columns, Ghouls 'n Ghosts, Gain Ground, Marble Madness, Strider, Golden Axe, Puyo Puyo 1 and 2...) and many that are actually better than the arcade versions! (Hellfire, Zero Wing, Atomic Runner, Gauntlet, Snow Bros...).
    You forgot Crack Down.

Master of Shinobi

just fire up MAME after you've played some MD conversions and you'll see exactly what I mean. Golden Axe suffers greatly from the small rom and lack of colors. I agree the 1988-1990 period was impressive for its time, but ports post-Sonic are just... well.
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

If the arcade version of Crack Down is actually worse than the MD version, then it must truly suck. The MD version is one of the slowest games in the galaxy when playing 2 players. If one goes into the exit, it speeds up so much it feels like an entirely different game. I wonder how they could mess it up so bad. ToeJam & Earl is also split screen, which much more playfield space on screen, yet it doesn't slow down like that.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Thread Information