Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pretty much done with collecting

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar
    HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Saturn Pretty much done with collecting

As I get older I find myself caring less and less about buying real copies of retro games. Itís just too expensive. I find myself caring more about hardware and less about cartridges/discs. Iím pretty much happy with bootlegs and flash carts, as long as they play accurate to the original. Iím fine with an EPROM or CDR as long as the data is the same.. Iíd rather leave the carts and fancy longboxes to people that can afford to not only buy them but also afford the shelf space/storage. As a 22 year old with not a lot of money, im also forced into playing bootlegs due to an increasing amount of responsibilities in life that prevent me from buying games.

Anyone else in the same situation? Am I the only one that finds a 35 dollar stack of Japanese Taiyo Yuden CDRs to be a better investment than a single complete in box copy of Manx TT Superbike or Fighters Megamix? There are still games Iíd love to have, but the price of them makes me really want to be happy with ROMs on real hardware :P

Thereís a limited number of copies of games out there, and an increasing number of people who want them. I have half a mind to sell my entire collection, including my neogeo AES games and get a CMVS with NEOSD. I havenít crossed that bridge yet though... I think minimalism may lead to being happier overall. I wouldnít mind selling my games and buying extra consoles...

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

I don't think that sounds like a good idea. Seems like every time in my life that I've thinned out the ol' game collection, I've repurchased a lot of the same games years down the road... at higher prices, of course. I think most other the other folks here would say the same.

But do what you want, I'm not your dad.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    I don't think that sounds like a good idea. Seems like every time in my life that I've thinned out the ol' game collection, I've repurchased a lot of the same games years down the road... at higher prices, of course. I think most other the other folks here would say the same.

But do what you want, I'm not your dad.
    I probably wonít sell my NEOēGEO stuff, but I have no problem getting rid of some of my 8-bit computers for example... or even my Famicom..

I want to live the lifestyle where I could travel and not be burdened with a lot of stuff Iíd need to store. Iím in the process of deciding what is really essential.

Antiquing Hedgehog Lord QuickSciFi's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    As I get older I find myself caring less and less about buying real copies of retro games. Itís just too expensive. I find myself caring more about hardware and less about cartridges/discs. Iím pretty much happy with bootlegs and flash carts, as long as they play accurate to the original. Iím fine with an EPROM or CDR as long as the data is the same.. Iíd rather leave the carts and fancy longboxes to people that can afford to not only buy them but also afford the shelf space/storage. As a 22 year old with not a lot of money, im also forced into playing bootlegs due to an increasing amount of responsibilities in life that prevent me from buying games.

Anyone else in the same situation? Am I the only one that finds a 35 dollar stack of Japanese Taiyo Yuden CDRs to be a better investment than a single complete in box copy of Manx TT Superbike or Fighters Megamix? There are still games Iíd love to have, but the price of them makes me really want to be happy with ROMs on real hardware :P

Thereís a limited number of copies of games out there, and an increasing number of people who want them. I have half a mind to sell my entire collection, including my neogeo AES games and get a CMVS with NEOSD. I havenít crossed that bridge yet though... I think minimalism may lead to being happier overall. I wouldnít mind selling my games and buying extra consoles...
    You are 22. Sounds like the ripe old age of gamer's block. It'll pass. And if indeed you have amassed a Neo Geo AES collection with "not a lot of money", you probably set your collecting standards way high to begin with. Nothing wrong with that, unless it prompts you to post a thread on it. 'Could be a case of burnout; which is highly prevalent among folks your age.

You are also 22 in 2018. I commend your unique old soul among folks your age. I recommend you think about it hard enough, unless you really need the money. Collections are not attained overnight. And those few that are, more often than not end up getting sold because there's just no emotional attachment to each individual item. There are still tons of retro games within very affordable range. And there are also newer games more affordable still. I'd say just go on this collecting hiatus, cool down for a while. It will come back to you, I promise.

In high school, I pawned off my entire CIB GameBoy collection (which included Mega Man V, of course) for, like $75. I did it because I was bored with the games and wanted more cash to spend with/on my stupid girlfriend.

Years later, I traded in my entire PlayStation collection (which included complete copies of Symphony of the Night, Mega Man Legends 1 & 2, Skull Monkeys, and Misadventures of Tron Bonne). I did because I was bored with the games and wanted more cash to spend with/on my stupid then-girlfriend (now my stupid ex-wife).

It didn't take too long in either case for me to look back and seethe with regret, and I'm still holding out hope that I can someday recollect them all.

Your experience may differ, but if you still have even a small amount of interest in collecting (and it sounds like you still do), then I would venture to guess that you'd eventually regret selling it off.

If your mind is made up, however, PM me a list of your Famicom stuff, and I'll be happy to consider taking some of it off your hands. Naturally, I'd expect bro prices in exchange for these pearls of wisdom.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

When I was in my 20s I sold off games I didn't think I wanted any more. Regretted it later.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Banned by Administrators

Work, sleep and play. Or sleep and play. The answer is clear to me.

Iíll save the things Iím nostalgic about, but thereís certain ďretroĒ things I got later that Iím not attached to in that way. Of course I never had a neogeo as a 8 year old kid, but itís too cool to sell.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    I think minimalism may lead to being happier overall
    Damn right
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cart sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European games

Banned by Administrators

Absolutely, minimalism leads to being happier overall.

Quote Originally Posted by Thief View Post
    Absolutely, minimalism leads to being happier overall.
    Nothing wrong with having games, but at the end of the day is a 300 dollar piece of plastic really improving your life? This is really a hobby of diminishing returns. That being said I probably wonít sell my copy of Burning Rangers or King of Fighters 2002, but I wonít be buying any more either.

There can be only one. WCPO Agent synbiosfan's Avatar

At 22 all my money went to chasing tail.

Sounds like nature is calling to me.
    Diabetes sucks!

My collecting is small and limited these days and it's usually either Gamecube stuff exclusively or titles I want to actually play. Don't just buy everything you can and only really go for stuff you'll enjoy. Remember, you buy games to play them first and then collect for then second.
    05/05/15

How is the GameCube collecting, anyway? I notice that wherever used games are sold, the GameCube selection is a fraction of the Wii, XBox, or PS2 selection.

Quote Originally Posted by synbiosfan View Post
    At 22 all my money went to chasing tail.
    Has less resale value than Burning Rangers though.

Thread Information