Quantcast

Thread: Sega Paddle Controller

Wildside Expert

Default Sega Paddle Controller

Hi all,

I'm working on a project that requires me to play Galactic Protector. I know that there are issues playing this on an emulator due to the paddle controller requirement. My question is: if I pick up the game and controller on ebay, will I be able to use it on an American Genesis with a Power Base Converter?

Or, if anyone has any good advice on getting the game to control decently in emulation, I'll take that too

Thanks!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

As far as I know, the Paddle Controller only works with a Japanese Master System or Mark III.

I'd also like to know if there's any good emulation options. Trying to play a paddle game with a mouse can give you a taste of the gameplay but for me it's mostly an exercise in frustration.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One zilogandmoto's Avatar

That's interesting. I wonder if anyone over at SMSPower knows about that, because I was thinking about trying to import Woody Pop.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

I know that with the proper value of potentiometer, it's possible to create a USB paddle controller, though I've never done any research on it beyond my electronic engineering schooling. I couldn't say if any emulators would recognize it properly, or accept single-axis analog inputs as a paddle. In theory, if an analog stick can work as the paddle in an emulator, then the project is a go, although the return of investment is unlikely to make the project worth anything but personal merit points.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Wildside Expert

I have a paddle controller which only works on my Mark III, not on my Master System.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Centrale's Avatar

I've just ordered a USB rotary controller kit, so I'll be excited to try it with emulators. I did try using a trackball and it functioned well for paddle games using the emulator Meka. I wasn't able to get it to work with Fusion.

Thread Information