Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you get into console gaming?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

Default How did you get into console gaming?

I am an old geezer and didn't get into gaming until I was about 33.

We had bought our first house in 1985 and shortly after we moved in a friend of Mrs. Armitage's wanted to stay overnight. She brought a super nes over with a copy of Tetris. This hooked me and I went out a couple of days later and bought one with a copy of Tetris and Final Fantasy II. Wasn't too long after that that I got a genesis with a copy of Shining Force.

I had always liked board games so this was a no brainer. I thought Dark Tower was pretty nifty when it came out - but that was obviously really primitive in hindsight although it was a breakthrough at the time.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

1986 in pre-school the owner's son had a room with an NES and Atari in the Daycare for the kids to play. As a little kid, I liked Superman a lot. So I gravitated to the Atari 2600 and played Superman and it blew my mind. One year later in 1987, my parents bought me an NES. All I owned until 1996 when I bought a Game Gear and Sonic off a classmate for 15 bucks. I did play SNES/Turbo16/Genesis/PS1 at school and friends houses. Until 1998 for my Bday, I got a SNES after I waited so long. From there I started to want to play/buy every console I could get my hands on. My NES and SNES still work like a charm with the original controllers. I don't know what happned to my powerpad but I still have my grey Zapper.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Pretty simple. My brother already had a Nintendo (NES) by the time I become old enough to pick it up myself. He had gotten it as an Xmas gift from my folks, because my uncle had one that he'd played and became obsessed with. So I was one of those kids who found out about games through the home console, arcades and computer games were later discoveries for me.

I don't remember which came first. Either it was playing Super Mario World on a hotel TV pay-per-play console, or it was renting a Playstation and Kileak from Blockbuster back when they rented out systems. One of those was my first console gaming experience, which was preceded only by PC games.

Kileak scared me a lot.

The very very first video game I played was some sort of Checkers (?) variant and a wireframe tank game on a 486 IBM PS/2 running Unix Solaris (2.4) with OpenWindows in the mid '90s.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

That looks like Cloverfield lol.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Late 1981 or early 1982, parents bought an Atari VCS and a few games. At the time, I didn't care about the difference between arcade games and Atari games. They were just games. I remember being seriously impressed by Cosmic Ark and Chopper Command. I never saw (outside of a Sears catalog) or played a Colecovision or Intellivision. All of the neighbors had an Atari, so we all borrowed each others' games. These days, I only play games long enough to test the ROMhacks I've been doing. Just grammar and spelling fixes, so far.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

I was 5 years old in 1982, and I was mesmerized by Donkey Kong. My mom would occasionally take me to a nearby arcade to play it, and shortly after my parents bought me a ColecoVision (which came bundled with a copy of DK). I was definitely lucky as my parents spoiled me rotten with games and accessories for that system. I had Turbo and the steering wheel, Slither and the roller controller, Baseball and the super action controllers, and the module that would let you play Atari games.

I played the hell out of that system for years. It wasn't until about 87' that I ended up with another system (the Atari 7800). I still vividly remember the "Under 50 Bucks" marketing campaign that hooked my parents into buying that for me. I'd end up with an NES about a couple of years after that, but I remember that ColecoVision getting a lot of game time even after I had an NES - That roller controller was sweet, and Slither was a tough habit to break.

I didn't even know there was a video game crash in 1983 until a couple of decades later - I must have missed it while I was neck deep in ColecoVision. I've practically been gaming for about as long as I can remember.

I had an Atari 2600 as my 1st console. I played a ton of Adventure and even found the 1st videogame easter egg by mistake. Truth be told the NES was favorite at the time even with the hard as balls games back then.
    05/05/15

My Brother is 10 years older than me and he had a Atari but I was never into consoles or gaming until the ZX Spectrum. I did have the Intellivision but I was in love and played more on the Micro Computers that were the ZX Spectrum and my uncles Atari ST. But when I began to fall in love with SEGA in 85 and 86: due to their Arcade games I asked for a Master System for Christmas in 87 and never looked back and fell in love with console gaming and SEGA consoles after playing a near-perfect port of Wonderboy on the MS and loving it.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Extreme Procrastinator Master of Shinobi Flygon's Avatar

Admittedly, I'm a tad younger than many years. My first introduction that I can remember was either Toejam and Earl or Shining Force on the Mega Drive, around... '95, at earliest.

Apparently I was introduced to the Master System earlier, but, I can hardly remember.

Raging in the Streets Yharnamresident's Avatar

For me this is too far back to answer, this is like asking how I learned to walk.
    Certified F-Zero GX fanboy

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Splatterhouse5 View Post
    I was 5 years old in 1982, and I was mesmerized by Donkey Kong. My mom would occasionally take me to a nearby arcade to play it, and shortly after my parents bought me a ColecoVision (which came bundled with a copy of DK). I was definitely lucky as my parents spoiled me rotten with games and accessories for that system. I had Turbo and the steering wheel, Slither and the roller controller, Baseball and the super action controllers, and the module that would let you play Atari games.

I played the hell out of that system for years. It wasn't until about 87' that I ended up with another system (the Atari 7800). I still vividly remember the "Under 50 Bucks" marketing campaign that hooked my parents into buying that for me. I'd end up with an NES about a couple of years after that, but I remember that ColecoVision getting a lot of game time even after I had an NES - That roller controller was sweet, and Slither was a tough habit to break.

I didn't even know there was a video game crash in 1983 until a couple of decades later - I must have missed it while I was neck deep in ColecoVision. I've practically been gaming for about as long as I can remember.
    I'm guessing your parents loaded up on all the deals for the ColecoVision, when the prices came tumbling down. I didn't know there was a crash (I was 14 in 1982), but did notice in 1984, that I could get a lot of 2600 games for $5. And it wasn't until I went to a bigger town that I'd seen bins full of 2600 carts.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

I always loved video games and played everything I could. My family had an Intellivision early on.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    We had bought our first house in 1985 and shortly after we moved in a friend of Mrs. Armitage's wanted to stay overnight. She brought a super nes over with a copy of Tetris.
    This hooked me and I went out a couple of days later and bought one with a copy of Tetris and Final Fantasy II. Wasn't too long after that that I got a genesis with a copy of Shining Force.
    Wait what? your wife's friend brought a Snes to your house in the mid 80s, 6 years before its release in 1991 with a copy of Tetris a game that would not see a Snes version until 1994?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    Wait what? your wife's friend brought a Snes to your house in the mid 80s, 6 years before its release in 1991 with a copy of Tetris a game that would not see a Snes version until 1994?
    Well she did show up in a Delorean.....

You are right - I got my timeline screwed up (terrible to get old) - so it had to have been 1991/2 that she came over.

We did buy that house in 1985 so I got that part right. ^_____^
    Last edited by Jake Armitage; 07-23-2018 at 10:03 PM.

Thread Information