Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ads making this site unusable

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I'm using an adblocker as well, but I get annoying "are you sure you want to leave the page?" popups each time I try opening up a new link/refresh the page. Really irritating. Only started in the last few weeks, and it only happens here, on the forums.

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

Here's my experience: At one point a couple of months ago there was one ad that crashed the site for me if I didn't navigate away from it pronto, some memory leakage or something (it caused my cpu and ram usage to skyrocket) Problem was, frequently the same ad would pop up several times in a row, making the experience of browsing the site impossible.

Now that this ad has seemingly fallen out of rotation, I have zero issues with the site.

I have an ad blocker installed on my browser and the only issues that started for me a few weeks ago is that occasionally, Malware Bytes will pop up a blocking message when opening the forums because something is trying to go outbound that it doesn't like. But every virus scan I've ran on my computer with multiple programs comes up blank. So now I'm guessing it is the ads with the redirects briefly triggering my AV causing the message to come up, but then ad blocker is doing its job as well preventing me from seeing any of it to begin with.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    I have an ad blocker installed on my browser and the only issues that started for me a few weeks ago is that occasionally, Malware Bytes will pop up a blocking message when opening the forums because something is trying to go outbound that it doesn't like. But every virus scan I've ran on my computer with multiple programs comes up blank. So now I'm guessing it is the ads with the redirects briefly triggering my AV causing the message to come up, but then ad blocker is doing its job as well preventing me from seeing any of it to begin with.
    Do you pay for your Malware Bytes? Premium includes real-time web protection. If a link or ad is detected by their database as having had or still have malware/etc on their servers, it'll flag and block it permanently, even if other sites report them as "clean". MBP is without a doubt the most sensitive anti malware program in that regard (with Avast being the most anal with actual system protection).

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Do you pay for your Malware Bytes? Premium includes real-time web protection. If a link or ad is detected by their database as having had or still have malware/etc on their servers, it'll flag and block it permanently, even if other sites report them as "clean". MBP is without a doubt the most sensitive anti malware program in that regard (with Avast being the most anal with actual system protection).
    Yes, I've a lifetime premium owner license.

I can't use my phone either or I get the constant Amazon gift card pop-up that I can't navigate away from.
    Check out my review channel at GameFaqs here. Then feel free to leave feedback and comment here

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    If you switch to mobile style for the forum, I don't believe it displays ads. It's also a hell of a lot easier to read.
    Yes, but you have to get past the front page. I could setup a web link that directs me directly to the forums.

*edit*

I just posted this from my PC and I get a notice that "ads making this site unuseable".
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vintagegamecrazy View Post
    I can't use my phone either or I get the constant Amazon gift card pop-up that I can't navigate away from.
    Yep exact issue I have. This is kinda ridiculous huh

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

With Ghostery I see BuySellAds (tells me is non-secure) and Quantcast under advertising trackers on sega-16.com/forum/ and one more on sega-16.com Amazon Associates.

uBlock full list on Sega-16.com
    sega-16.com
    amazon-adsystem.com
    ir-na.amazon-adsystem.com
    ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com
    buysellads.com
    s3.buysellads.com
    facebook.net
    connect.facebook.net
    fonts.googleapis.com
    google-analytics.com
    ssl.google-analytics.com
    google-analytics.com
    gravatar.com
    secure.gravatar.com
    gstatic.com
    fonts.gstatic.com
    quantserve.com
    secure.quantserve.com

uBlock full list on Sega-16.com/forum/
    sega-16.com
    buysellads.com
    s3.buysellads.com
    google-analytics.com
    ssl.google-analytics.com
    paypalobjects.com
    paypalobjects.com
    quantserve.com
    secure.quantserve.com
    yahooapis.com
    yui.yahooapis.com

All with Firefox 61.0.1

Sidenote, two other extensions I forgot to mention in last post of this thread I like to use are HTTPS Everywhere and Decentraleyes.
    Last edited by EyeDeeNo76; 07-26-2018 at 12:57 PM.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

When I first came here any ads were unobtrusive. Why’s it getting so out of hand now?

Nonconformist Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent EyeDeeNo76's Avatar

I'm thinking it has something to with vBulletin.

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Ads go to help pay for the site. It probably costs much more than we realize.

I'd rather not block ads here, but it's really the only option when they get as bad as they were.
    I'm not sure what it costs to run this site. I have a website and it only costs about $15 a month, plus a domain fee once a year for like $50. Forums may be a separate deal, but I thought vBulletin was free to use in it's base form.

I would encourage donations instead of spamming everyone up the butt.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

I would guess it costs at least a factor above that to host this site, given the high volume of traffic. But I suppose only Melf knows.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    My only problem is when browsing with my phone. I have to race from the front page to the forums, before a stupid “You won an Amazon gift card” spam forces me to close my browser of click on the link.
    you have no ad block on your phone?

Quote Originally Posted by Yharnamresident View Post
    If you block a website's revenue stream, the website will find a different way to make a revenue stream. Paywalls are popping up everywhere.
    Because when people get asked about it, they consistently say they'd rather pay a paywall rather than seeing ads, so guess what site owners are doing (although paywalls also tend to play awful with SEO, so I guess that won't go very far either).

I'm seeing a trend for some sites to set up a Patreon to pay the costs instead.

Thread Information