Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nintendo DMCAing emulators in bid to remain relevant to anyone older than 10

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Game Boy Nintendo DMCAing emulators in bid to remain relevant to anyone older than 10

Nintendo Asks GitHub to Shut Down Game Boy Emulator
    Many gaming fans love to play old console games in browser emulations, but Nintendo is less amused by these fan-made recreations. Last week the company sued two sites that offered access to its games, and in a separate effort, the company also removed a repository from GitHub that offered access to Game Boy Advance games.
    Nintendo Asks GitHub to Shut Down Game Boy Emulator
    Article Archive on Archive.fo

So never mind that the overwhelming majority of emulators are fully legal, and it's not like there are legitimate, free, homebrew games of professional quality out there or anything. Well, just because the horse has bolted doesn't mean that you can't retroactively shut the door. It's not as if we live in a linear time universe.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

The article clearly states the emulator in question was giving access to ROMs through the browser. That's the problem. Not the emulator itself.

Move along...

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

This is a trial run for Nintendo to gain more legal foothold. They've done this in the past, but bitten off more than they could chew, having the US Government set a hard limit for damage claims in response.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

They are going after ROMS.ROMS are illegal. They have every right to protect their IPs. Piracy helped kill the Dreamcast.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    They are going after ROMS.ROMS are illegal. They have every right to protect their IPs. Piracy helped kill the Dreamcast.
    Only selling unlicensed Nintendo roms without their official containers is illegal in some/most(?) places. I bought lots of roms from Nintendo through authorized retailers and played them on the hardware I bought from authorized retailers.

Don't forget all of the immoral and illegal things Nintendo did bitd.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Giving away the ROMs for free is illegal too. As long as Nintendo didn't approve it it's illegal, period. And yeah, the issue here was clearcut, the emulator was being distributed with ROMs they didn't have permission to, ergo it's illegal.

It is true that Nintendo tried to declare emulators illegal by claiming patent infringement back in the day, but that didn't pan out for them, and this is not the case here either.

Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert

Most of those Games fall under abandonware, no copyright nor patent, nothing's alive.. unless someone claims ownership it's 100% legal to share those. Games/Franchises owned by Nintendo or any currently active Legal Entity are of course illegal to share.

Wow, what a clickbait thread title. I'm pretty sure Nintendo are allowed to take legal action against piracy. It might be inconvenient for some gamers, but if Nintendo fail to take action then it could potentially set a legal precedent that allows anyone to pirate games.

I understand how that could be very annoying, but I'm pretty sure that the rom distributors knew the risks when they started.

On a bit of a side note, I've noticed that the whole attitude people have towards roms has changed a lot over the years.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by foxnoodles View Post
    Most of those Games fall under abandonware, no copyright nor patent, nothing's alive.. unless someone claims ownership it's 100% legal to share those. Games/Franchises owned by Nintendo or any currently active Legal Entity are of course illegal to share.
    Not in the U.S. they aren't. Anything 1978-present is covered for the life of the author + 70 years. There are a few Nintendo games from 1977 that might be out of copyright now if they weren't renewed. Has anyone emulated the Color TV-Game 6?

Banned by Administrators Wildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Not in the U.S. they aren't. Anything 1978-present is covered for the life of the author + 70 years. There are a few Nintendo games from 1977 that might be out of copyright now if they weren't renewed. Has anyone emulated the Color TV-Game 6?
    what happens when the "author" was a company that does not exist anymore, nor anyone has ever bought any rights to own the companies assets?(majority of games are in this state, nintendo never owned them)
    Last edited by foxnoodles; 07-27-2018 at 11:56 AM.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by foxnoodles View Post
    what happens when the "author" was a company that does not exist anymore, nor anyone has ever bought any rights to own the companies assets?(majority of games are in this state, nintendo never owned them)
    I don't pretend to be an attorney but it would seem that if the company went out of business the games could be public domain. Are you sure no one bought up those IPs, though? I would find that surprising for all but the most obscure titles.

1) Hiers get them.
    2) Everything gets sold on bankruptcy, period (if it doesn't then it stays around waiting until somebody does it)

And if nobody ever claims copyright on something, it's an orphaned work, which means nobody can do anything with it until somebody can figure out who actually owned it. Which is essentially never. (this is why libraries are desperate to make exceptions for orphaned works)

Also we're in an era where game rereleases are becoming the norm, so the idea of abandonware is 100% bullshit now (especially with Nintendo games since Nintendo remains around and sometimes brings up games that are pretty obscure - X would have gone practically forgotten if they hadn't referenced it in Brawl).

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Nintendo themselves use these sites and sold pirated roms without acquiring the rights to the content they do not own:

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-0...-it-back-to-us

They also fought in courts for years to continue cheating the company that made Donkey Kong, until they ran out of legal avenues.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

If anyone really believes that many of the games are abandonware and that there's no legal issues with distributing the roms, then I suppose the best thing to do is to just shut up about it because the operators of the rom sites have nothing to worry about?
    As far as I'm aware, Nintendo are allowed to maintain copyright on their games. Just because some people are used to pirating roms and are now being inconvenienced, doesn't mean that Nintendo have to give you their games for free.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Nintendo themselves use these sites and sold pirated roms without acquiring the rights to the content they do not own:

https://www.eurogamer.net/amp/2017-0...-it-back-to-us
    I may be remembering this incorrectly, but I'm pretty sure that the story of Nintendo acquiring a pirated rom was debunked. Even if it wasn't debunked, Nintendo can still make changes to their policy regarding how they handle rom sites.

Thread Information