Quantcast

Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: If you were head of SEGA 1997 how would you..

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Xb If you were head of SEGA 1997 how would you..

Change the Dreamcast? Not just hardware but lineup. Launch. Marketing? Now I realize none of us are businessmen so some of these proposals may sound a bit out there. This is just within reason fantasy scenario.

So I don't know all the business that would make this possible or impossible. I also don't have the best knowledge of specs. Any is free to say what they would do.

I think what I would want is a worldwide release in 1999. I think you either keep to the US 9/9/99. Or a delay to November. I would want to partner up with Microsoft. They would provide the funds to build the best hardware and SEGA and MS share profits. I'm sure MS gets some return deal as like Saturn maybe some of those games come to windows or they run the online or whatever. This way with MS money DC gets a DVD player. 32MB of ram. I add a second analog stick. Modem stays included. Now, this is where it gets a bit fuzzy but the reason for a WW release in 99 is so everyone gets it at once. Japan launch is not rushed. Lastly, some slightly more powerful hardware inside. I know 3DFX chip was to be based on Voodoo 2 but I am wondering if they could have put in a custom chip based on a lower spec Voodoo 3. I know a CPU needs to go well with a GPU but I don't know exactly what from the era. Hopefully something 300MHz or close to it. I also want to cut out VMU's. Yes, they were neat but bulky and no one really cared. Normal Memory cards.

While the glide API was popular and faded by the time Nvidia bought them. I might have eased devs into the DC with a familiar API. Nvidia I am sure would have still supplied the chips and support. I do think the US marketing was great and would keep it the way it was mostly but with the added info of DVD ability. Now then comes the cost. This is where I may have screwed SEGA. Sure MS doesn't care as they lost billions on Xbox. Ok so maybe take it down to the original Voodoo2 or specs we got except I still double the ram and add DVD playback with a second analog stick if the higher spec can't be sold at $300. Does this mean DC wins 6th gen? Maybe, maybe not. Sony's brand had a lot of weight to it.

US launch of games stays the same. In fact, I try to make every region have a similar launch with 1-2 exceptions that are more region appropriate. Japan still gets July and Godzilla.

And finally, the last thing I would change is the cases. Now SEGA did listen and drop the horrible PAL/US Saturn cases but still failed. The new standard was the DVD case. SO imagine buying your games in these. Blue for PAL. Orange for the US/Japan.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Change the Dreamcast? Not just hardware but lineup. Launch. Marketing? Now I realize none of us are businessmen so some of these proposals may sound a bit out there. This is just within reason fantasy scenario.

So I don't know all the business that would make this possible or impossible. I also don't have the best knowledge of specs. Any is free to say what they would do.

I think what I would want is a worldwide release in 1999. I think you either keep to the US 9/9/99. Or a delay to November. I would want to partner up with Microsoft. They would provide the funds to build the best hardware and SEGA and MS share profits. I'm sure MS gets some return deal as like Saturn maybe some of those games come to windows or they run the online or whatever. This way with MS money DC gets a DVD player. 32MB of ram. I add a second analog stick. Modem stays included. Now, this is where it gets a bit fuzzy but the reason for a WW release in 99 is so everyone gets it at once. Japan launch is not rushed. Lastly, some slightly more powerful hardware inside. I know 3DFX chip was to be based on Voodoo 2 but I am wondering if they could have put in a custom chip based on a lower spec Voodoo 3. I know a CPU needs to go well with a GPU but I don't know exactly what from the era. Hopefully something 300MHz or close to it. I also want to cut out VMU's. Yes, they were neat but bulky and no one really cared. Normal Memory cards.

While the glide API was popular and faded by the time Nvidia bought them. I might have eased devs into the DC with a familiar API. Nvidia I am sure would have still supplied the chips and support. I do think the US marketing was great and would keep it the way it was mostly but with the added info of DVD ability. Now then comes the cost. This is where I may have screwed SEGA. Sure MS doesn't care as they lost billions on Xbox. Ok so maybe take it down to the original Voodoo2 or specs we got except I still double the ram and add DVD playback with a second analog stick if the higher spec can't be sold at $300. Does this mean DC wins 6th gen? Maybe, maybe not. Sony's brand had a lot of weight to it.

US launch of games stays the same. In fact, I try to make every region have a similar launch with 1-2 exceptions that are more region appropriate. Japan still gets July and Godzilla.

And finally, the last thing I would change is the cases. Now SEGA did listen and drop the horrible PAL/US Saturn cases but still failed. The new standard was the DVD case. SO imagine buying your games in these. Blue for PAL. Orange for the US/Japan.

You can always make a console more powerful if you want to make it more expensive (or take a bigger loss on each unit). I thought the CPU and graphics were fine for the time. Problem with having Microsoft for a partner is they were getting ready to roll out their own hardware as well, they had so much money at the time they didn't need to work with anyone.

The one part of your proposal I like is going with a DVD drive -- at least that would held off piracy for a few years. DC was the first console I ever saw where people were buying and selling burned copies of games within a year of release. I also agree the VMU could have been removed. If it were up to me I would have dropped the modem too.
    Last edited by axel; 08-06-2018 at 01:16 PM.

MS only got the Xbox going I believe because DC failed. Xbox was created in a very short amount of time as it was just a PC. Even the controller ports were USB 1.0 with a different connector. Focus tests they used the DC. Xbox was almost BC with DC games. I'm not sure MS would create the Xbox if MS was already producing the hardware for SEGA. EA had money riding on 3DFX so if the system had Voodoo likely would have had EA.
    Last edited by Leynos; 08-06-2018 at 01:27 PM.

Master of Shinobi

MS only got the Xbox going I believe because DC failed. Xbox was created in a very short amount of time as it was just a PC. Even the controller ports were USB 1.0 with a different connector. Focus tests they used the DC. Xbox was almost BC with DC games. I'm not sure MS would create the Xbox if MS was already producing the hardware for SEGA.
    Not that I have internal memos from Microsoft or anything, but I believe development started well before that time, Gates even talked about the XBox around the time of the U.S. Dreamcast launch. I think Microsoft got involved with Sega just to test the waters with WinCE on a console, knowing full well they would have their own hardware out a couple years later. Sega got used.

Making the XBox must have been the easiest thing in the world for Microsoft since all they had to do was bundle their own software on generic PC hardware -- basically what they had been doing for years. Even if it had failed it would hardly have put a dent in Microsoft's profits at the time. (Which was not the case for Sega -- they had to succeed with the Dreamcast if they wanted to stay in the hardware business).

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

I don't know if this would've been possible but a global release in november/december 98, which is now very normal, would've been a great opportunity for sega since it would run unopposed to ps2 for 2 years. essential would've also been to have sonic adventure ready for launch release and a version of virtua fighter 3 vastly improved over it's arcade version like namco did with soul caliber.

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar
    HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG

Nix the modem, add DVD, normal memory cards, modem sold separately.

I think DVD in a console wouldve been more significant than a built in modem at the time

DVD was not an option, SOJ couldn't be more clear in how they couldn't afford to sell the system with the DVD drive or pay for the rights. So living with-in SEGA means these are some of the moves I would have liked SEGA to have done

Twin Analogue sticks and 6 buttons as standard in every DC pad.

The VMU unit to be powered by a AAA battery and to have 4 MEG saving as standard.

Deep Fear To have stop production on the Saturn and be moved up to DC development with better visuals and FMV ready for the system launch.

SOJ to have delayed the launch of the Japanese system, until NEC could meet and manufacture the 500,000 Pre Orders.

SEGA Rally II to have been delayed and built from the ground up for the DC. No use of Win CE and for the visuals to have been just like Model 3 step2 with the same dust, mud and snow debris trail effects and a better control method. And for the game Internet head to head racing to have been in all versions (not just the Japanese)

Sonic ADV to have been a bundle in with the DC for the Launch of the Dreamcast in the West and for that to been the bundled game including in every DC sold in the west untill Christmas.

The World Wide Soccer Team should have been given the task of making a follow-up straight away.

Lobotomy should have been bought by SOA and given the task of Half-Life port and also SEGA getting Exhumed/Power Slave II.

Jurassic Park the Lost World (the best light gun ever made) and Gun Blade NY, House of the Dead (Model 2) should have been ported to the DC.

Dirt Devils Should have been ported to the DC with more tracks and options.

Daytona USA and Daytona USA 2 collection should have been on the DC with full Online support.

Bug III to have been put into production and made for the DC.

SOJ should have supported Camelot better and invited them to the DC developers party and have them making a Shining Force IV game for the DC.

To have invested money in Working Designs say sorry and have them translate Grandia for the Saturn and Sakura Wars III for the DC along with their planned Saturn stuff.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

MS is paying for the bulk of the hardware. That's the point of why it has higher specs and DVD. It's more or less a MS console with SEGA as the brand and a share in profits. In return some of SEGA's higher profile games get ported to PC much like Saturn and Nvidia.

HUH ? . SEGA were paying for use of the WinCE, thats how MS makes it money, with people paying to use its software.
    SOJ couldn't have been more clear in various interviews, it wasn't the tech that was the issue of the DVD drive. It was the cost of the unit and selling the system with a DVD Drive in it.
    Even MS with all its cash didn't want to pay for DVD playback out of the box and one had to buy a DVD remote to turn the XBox into a DVD player
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

You don't get what the topic is about. Go away.

You don't get what the topic is about. Go away.
    So acting like a spoiled kid who can't get their own way. MS is a software corp and makes money from people paying to use its products. SEGA was paying to use WinCE and DVD drives in 1998 were expensive. Given SEGA was already selling the DC at a huge lost, it would be silly to expect the DC to have a DVD drive, much less offer DVD playback straight out of the box.
    What next SEGA should have bought SONY and the PS2 chipset
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    So acting like a spoiled kid who can't get their own way. MS is a software corp and makes money from people paying to use its products. SEGA was paying to use WinCE and DVD drives in 1998 were expensive. Given SEGA was already selling the DC at a huge lost, it would be silly to expect the DC to have a DVD drive, much less offer DVD playback straight out of the box.
    What next SEGA should have bought SONY and the PS2 chipset
    What? Segata is being hypothetical. He's asking what decisions would people make if they were head of Sega back then. It's an alternate history scenario and he's inviting others to share their ideas. Relax!

Id port Jurassic Park The lost world 1997 to the Saturn with light guns and bring the 4meg cart to the states

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    Id port Jurassic Park The lost world 1997 to the Saturn with light guns and bring the 4meg cart to the states
    Hell yes to that!

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Hell yes to that!
    I often wonder what kind of 3D graphics the Saturn could achieve with 4MB extra ram... better textures for sure.

Thread Information