Quantcast

View Poll Results: Do clone consoles affect game prices?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes! New "Retro" hardware definitely drives prices up!

3 30.00%
  • They probably do, but the effect is minimal.

4 40.00%
  • No. New hardware has zero effect on demand for games.

3 30.00%

Thread: Do Clone Consoles Drive Cart Prices Up?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher StuOhQ's Avatar

Atari2600 Do Clone Consoles Drive Cart Prices Up?

I recently reviewed the Retron 77 by Hyperkin Labs (which you can watch below), and got to thinking about how easy access to titles like this might influence the price of used retro games. With a device like this, there's no need to buy extra adapters, pass-through devices, or upscalers to get a clean picture on your modern TV - and you can still play games off of the original cartridges.

Do you think that clone consoles like this one, or the AVS etc. create additional demand for retro games? Let's hear it!

And, for those who are interested, here is my recent review:

https://youtu.be/sD41aLg5kQA

I'm excited to hear what you guys think, and don't forget to take the poll

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Top 12: Best Games on the N64 - Special Features, Episode 7

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Perhaps the most grounded review I've watched yet on the Atari 77. Subbed.

Death Bringer ESWAT Veteran Black_Tiger's Avatar

If 2600 carts begin skyrocketing, soon the average game will go for as much as one for $1.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    If 2600 carts begin skyrocketing, soon the average game will go for as much as one for $1.
    haha. exactly.

I think we are past the fad of people buying consoles to play carts... meaning large amounts of new people entering the hobby. My evidence for this would be all the local game stores near me, that sell cart games as well as modern stuff... they have had the same carts for about 2 years. Be that Atari/Intellivision, Genesis, NES, SNES, N64 any of that stuff. New stuff rarely shows up, and the same stuff has been sitting on the shelves.

To the topic: No. These are enthusiast consoles which are many times more costly than the actual hardware fueling the nostalgia which is driving the market. Unless you're aware of the display and whatever benefits of the new hardware to seek out let alone be aware of their existence, then you're going on eBay to buy the original system you grew up with along with the games to match.

I hope the market is falling back to reality. I'd like to think it is.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Agreed. I can't see how how all these new retro 'clone consoles' could affect the price market for original carts and consoles. The retro market is, almost by it's very definition, almost entirely fueled by nostalgia and people like us who own the consoles and collect the games we loved while growing up. It's a generational thing for those of us of a certain age, and while I can't see prices continuing to rise much further, neither do I think they'll drop anytime soon. The difference for me is between genuine heartfelt nostalgia and cheap throwaway nostalgia. These 'clone consoles' are not aimed at guys like me, but rather those that like saying "Hey, remember this?" at parties, and then play a few games on a NES classic with their friends, before getting bored because they remember that "The graphics were crap" and then they shuffle off to do something else. I have a genuine emotional connection to the times I spent playing games as a kid. My love of Sega and the passion for the original games and hardware I collect is very important to me. It's not a cheap throwaway cheesy memory like the current trend of people going "Duh...remember that? That was so cool! Duh...remember this? That was so cool! Duh..." For me clone consoles sum up that cheap throwaway memory attitude and that's why I don't like them.

Nameless One

Nope, I don't see clone console affecting cart prices. For instance, people that buy the retron 77 will most likely just play the pack-in games. Same thing with the Sega stuff, Atari and Sega have oversaturated the market. Nintendo maybe but with the recently released mini's I don't see that happening. If you want to up the price of a game get all the YouTube personalities taking about it. I might be wrong though.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

is it true that nes prices are already rapidly declining? i know atari have.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Thanks so much for your feedback. I really enjoy creating these.

Haha yeah. I'm a little addicted to buying Atari now because of the crazy low prices

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

The only thing that drives up prices, in my experience, is popular Youtube hipsters who make more per month in Patreon donations than I did with a full time job that killed my ability to even enjoy ice cream. The Retron 77 is an odd duck. Most 2600 games are the definition of casual, and people who really cared about the system have at least one 2600 or Sears Video Arcade floating around already. Then again, people have to have their vorpal-sharp pixels on their $2000 TV.
    - Where it's always 1995 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    is it true that nes prices are already rapidly declining? i know atari have.
    Apparently there's a downward trend with the common but typically in demand games (Contra, Castlevania, etc). Prices of those have spiked over the last few years, so a market correction might be expected as demand falters. I don't collect enough NES to confirm this though.

Quote Originally Posted by The Jackal View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    Apparently there's a downward trend with the common but typically in demand games (Contra, Castlevania, etc). Prices of those have spiked over the last few years, so a market correction might be expected as demand falters. I don't collect enough NES to confirm this though.
    As someone whose collection is humble, I'm not minding that correction right now. This dip should allow me to grow and experience a lot of great titles!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWCPO Agent avlon's Avatar

Great idea for a thread. It's pretty hard to say. I think that the masses who buy clone consoles would be happy with bootleg multi-carts and aren't generally the type to hunt down the real deal. Authenticity isn't really a thing for them.

Thread Information