Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Arcade1up.....

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

OK. I'm guessing "half scale" doesn't make good marketing language so they inflate it a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Before I moved I had SFII'CE in the large cab that Capcom made just for it. These 1ups are less than half that size.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    OK. I'm guessing "half scale" doesn't make good marketing language so they inflate it a bit.
    Yeah, I felt this too that in comparison 3/4 scale proportionally seems to be a marketing stretch - I think part of this is also from the significant change in weight. You see and feel it.

But a lot of what is lost in size and weight is irrelevant space - the excess in framing the CRT, coin mechanism, overhead marquee, etc. is not anything you really miss once you're playing.

The LCD screen is a nice size and its placement along with the standing height for the buttons feel as they should.

In design presence these machines are definitely slim, but I think the design essentials are certainly still there.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

If they were single 3-button controls/single player cabinets it wouldn't feel too out of place. At the last PRGE I went to my Wife and I saw a mini Bubble Bobble arcade that a young girl was playing with her Mother who had to kneel. I thjnk that without the base these are the same size.

It looks like two kids would be cramped playing a 1up arcade together. 6-button SFII style layouts eat up way more space than 2 or 3-button layouts.

My smaller sized Final Fight cab is 65" from the floor to the top of the marquee. It tapers upward from there. The control panel is 24" wide. I'm 6' tall and that marquee top is still beneath my nose.

1up arcades are reported to be 46" tall and 19" wide. The "riser" is supposed to bring it up to 59" tall. So 3/4 scale is accurate enough for 1-player classics like Pac Man, but you can see in photos of people playing SFII", they each have to stand at a 3/4 angle from the machine and it looks like hands will be bumping at the middle.

I think that a 2-button, 2-plater Bubble Bobble 1up cab would be cool.

After seeing that mini at PGRE, my Wife asked me to get one. So I bought one of those bartop kits and set it up with a Rasperry Pi.

I bought one of thise 400-in-1 Jamma boards for the Final Fight cabinet for when friends with kids come over. The emulation has never felt or looked off and using a real cab with a crt and authentic arcade controls it's functionally the same exoerience as playing real boards.

Even if the cheapest arcade cabinet you can find locally is a few hundred dollars, you'd be much better off buying that and a multi board.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

Are they actual boards or emulation? I would gift someone with a House of the Dead 2 cabinet, if they got around to it.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Obviously itís emulated.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I'd have to pass, An xbox in a custom
    Cab is all you really want.......

I take it back, the artwork is just too
    sweet on some of these....
    Last edited by Segadream; 01-22-2020 at 09:02 PM.

In regards to the A1up cabinets, the riser is a necessity and it does a bang up job making the experience much more fulfilling. Who doesn't want a full sized cabinet but the prices can be costly and these are a decent substitution.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Segadream View Post
    I'd have to pass, An xbox in a custom
    Cab is all you really want.......

I take it back, the artwork is just too
    sweet on some of these....
    This looks like my Bubble Bobble bartop with a raspberry pi. I believe that mine is as wide as my Final Fight arcade.

The kit I bought was worth it just for the custom cab artwork. I made exactly what I wanted.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

What bothers me is that they try to sell these as mini versions of the real thing, but most of them don't even resemble the original.

Here's the Mortal Kombat cabinet.

Now I get that you'd have to sacrifice some details, but this doesn't look anything like the original cabinet. thus defeating the point of having a mini version of it.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I'd rather just use my arcade sticks with MAME on PC.

Now these upcoming pinball machines look really cool. The one thing that digital pinball can't quite replicate, is the feeling of playing an actual pinball machine.

A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

They need to do either a Golden Axe, Altered Beast, or Space Harrier cabinet for me to even look their way. Although, I could settle for a Double Dragon or Hippodrome one for a quick glance.

Quote Originally Posted by kdubmods View Post
    They need to do either a Golden Axe, Altered Beast, or Space Harrier cabinet for me to even look their way. Although, I could settle for a Double Dragon or Hippodrome one for a quick glance.

Thread Information