Quantcast

Thread: What I love About the Sega Genesis

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert ITViking's Avatar

Default What I love About the Sega Genesis

Back 1992 I really wanted a PC. They were pretty expensive. You were dropping a couple grand just for a basic PC. Not to mention that 'couple of grand' wasn't as easy to make as it is today. But I really enjoyed PC gaming on other people's PCs, and wanted to get a rig of my own. I had resigned myself to the fact that it was going to take a while to get a PC.

One day I was walking though a local hardware store ('Canadian Tire') and I saw my first Sega Genesis on the store shelves. Now, I was a child of the golden era of arcades. I loved arcades. But it wasn't Sega's "arcade in your home" marketing that got me buying a Genesis that day. It was this simple statement on the front of the box...

DSCN7887b.jpg

They didn't have much of a selection for games that day, but I picked up my first couple of Genesis games with the console, 'Sonic 1' & 'Revenge of Shinobi'. Later on I was introduced to a few other games that were more like PCs game... probably because they were PC game ports. Like SSI's 'Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday', 'Starflight', etc. I also picked up 'Centurion: Defender of Rome'. What I really appreciated about the Sega Genesis was that it had broad appeal to gamers of different types. There were ports directly from arcades, new games that were so good they should have been in every arcade, and then these more in depth PC game ports.

I eventually bought a PC and sold my Sega Genesis. Ironically, 25 years later I am surrounded by hundreds of PCs now. I work in IT and look after 1500 PCs from purchase to EOL. I could literally build myself a castle out of PCs. Yet the the one thing I really wish I had... is my old Sega Genesis.

I still enjoy the immersive depth of PC gaming. But there's something about just being able to pop a cartridge into a Sega Genesis and playing Streets of Rage 2 for 20 minutes.

What's your Sega Genesis story, and why did you love the Sega Genesis back in the day?

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I fell in love with the Sega Mega Drive, and video games in general, after first seeing one in action at my friend's house when I was 8yrs old. It blew my mind and I just knew I HAD to have one. Games like Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Altered Beast, Desert Strike and Sonic just had me completely hooked from the start.

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I honestly didn't know what to expect out of it when I first got mine. You know how things went in the previous generation in the U.S. Not many gamer knew that a Master System even existed, and the "Nintendo" was dominant. So, like most that wound up with one, being familiar with the IP's on the NES, I wanted the SNES in '91, but got the Genesis instead.

What I loved about it then... well, half my library was Sonic, WWF, and Mortal Kombat, so fast paced action with some gore, I guess. What I love about it now: Fast paced action, can take or leave the gore .

Honestly, the more I think about it with hindsight, the more grateful I am of my parents decision to go Sega, for both the variety of trying out a different kind of console, and the fact that I just prefer classic arcade style gaming over adventure gaming.

It's odd, but being a kid in the golden era of arcades, I was never a fan of platform style games. I played all kinds of arcade games and loved many, but the platform just never interested me much. Then when I bought my Genesis in 1992, I picked up two games with it. Sonic the Hedgehog, and Revenge of Shinobi; both of which are platform style games. Those two games captured me, and set the bar of my expectations. Looking back now its a wonder that those high expectations, set by two fantastic games, weren't dashed to pieces by some of the other games that came out. That has more to do with the fact I was fortunate not to purchase any duds back in the day. The next game I bought was NHL Hockey, which only made me love the Genesis even more. Then Golden Axe and a few PC ports like Buck Rogers.

Quote Originally Posted by ITViking View Post
    It's odd, but being a kid in the golden era of arcades, I was never a fan of platform style games. I played all kinds of arcade games and loved many, but the platform just never interested me much. Then when I bought my Genesis in 1992, I picked up two games with it. Sonic the Hedgehog, and Revenge of Shinobi; both of which are platform style games. Those two games captured me, and set the bar of my expectations. Looking back now its a wonder that those high expectations, set by two fantastic games, weren't dashed to pieces by some of the other games that came out. That has more to do with the fact I was fortunate not to purchase any duds back in the day. The next game I bought was NHL Hockey, which only made me love the Genesis even more. Then Golden Axe and a few PC ports like Buck Rogers.
    Yes games like Revenge of Shinobi and Sonic the Hedgehog set the bar very high for platform games on the Mega Drive. As far as I'm concerned, although there are many great platform games on the system, only a select few, including the likes of Wonder Boy in Monster World and Rocket Knight Adventures, are on a par with the level of excellence set by the Sonic games and Shinobi games.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Yes games like Revenge of Shinobi and Sonic the Hedgehog set the bar very high for platform games on the Mega Drive. As far as I'm concerned, although there are many great platform games on the system, only a select few, including the likes of Wonder Boy in Monster World and Rocket Knight Adventures, are on a par with the level of excellence set by the Sonic games and Shinobi games.
    Rocket Knight Adventures is one I keep hearing about... might have to pick that one up.

Back 1992 I really wanted a PC. They were pretty expensive. You were dropping a couple grand just for a basic PC.
    I wish more people remembered that. You wouldn't believe how many times I've told people about the cost of PCs back in the day and they seem to think I'm lying. I remember my neighbor bought his first 486 for about 8 grand (that's an early 90s 8 grand too) and people thought he was insane.

Rocket Knight Adventures is one I keep hearing about... might have to pick that one up.
    You won't regret it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I wish more people remembered that. You wouldn't believe how many times I've told people about the cost of PCs back in the day and they seem to think I'm lying. I remember my neighbor bought his first 486 for about 8 grand (that's an early 90s 8 grand too) and people thought he was insane.
    My first PC was a pretty souped up business class 286 that ran at 20mhz with a full 1meg of onboard ram (Expandable to 5mb), and a whopping 20mb HDD with both 5 1/2 and 3 1/2 inch high density floppy drives. Got the base, keyboard, mouse, 13inch VGA monitor as it also had built in VGA graphics, dot matrix printer, and DOS 3.3 and Windows 3.0 back in '89 for a measly.... $3250. And that was because my mother worked for the company that made the computer so she was able to get it for near cost on employee discount. So yes...PCs were very expensive back in the day. My late aunt's IBM XT she bought in the early 80s I believe set her back about 10 grand. You could almost buy a car for that price back then.

But to get back on subject...I was already a teenage and nearly able to drive when I first was introduced to the Genesis. It was in '90 I believe or possibly even '91. By then I already owned my PC above and had stopped playing console games completely as nothing back then on the console could come close to what you could play game wise on computers. Unlike today where aside from fancier graphics and resolution between the PC and console version of game, they are essentially the exact same game and experience.

Anyway, went to his house one day after school and he had just gotten his Genesis. His first game was Sonic the Hedgehog, so he likely got the model 1 that came bundled with it. Anyway, it was pretty damn amazing to see that fast action on his TV and he had the genesis piping the audio through his stereo in his room. And while he would rent games and I would come over sometimes and we would have fun, I never really desired to own one since again, I was all about PC games at the time. Interestingly..it would be in the late 90s when I suddenly got the urge to play Sonic the Hedgehog. At the time emulation was available but still rather in its infancy. So I had the wonderful Gens emulator to play Sonic on. But it didn't sound quite right and it did stutter. So I thought how much could a used Genesis cost these days now Dreamcast had just been released... Well I joined ebay and bought my first actual Genesis that ended up being a model 1 va2. It game with one controller and the power supply but no games. First game I found locally to pick up and play was at a pawn shop. For about $10 I walked out of the pawn shop with a loose copy of TMNT Hyperstone heist. I didn't know the game's value back then but I had seen screenshots of it and it looked like the kind of game I would really like to play. It did NOT disappoint and I've been loving the Genesis ever since.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    Yea, they were pretty darn pricey in the late 80's and going into the 90's. Then in the early 1990's prices started coming down a bit thanks to the development of the WWW. I bought mine in 93/94. By then the Pentiums were out (Pentium 60 or Pentium 90) and they ran around $5000-7000. I could only afford a 486 SX (25 MHz) with 4MB of RAM, 200MB hard drive, and it still cost me $2000. I bought a second 4MB stick for about $250 and installed it myself. Then a CD-ROM a year later for $200 or so. Also installed a 486 DX4 overdrive processor when they came out ($300 I think) speeding my system up to a whopping 100mhz of processing power. By 1998 you could get a decent new system for about $1200-1500. So I'd say the 1990's were sort of the era of the PC pricing 'correction'. Since then prices have been more level.

Same thing happened with cell phones. In 1989/90 I was selling cell phones for around $2,000-$3000, and they had already come down from about $5000 a few years earlier. A couple years later the same phones dropped under $1000.
    Last edited by ITViking; 09-06-2018 at 03:08 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I got my Sega MD for Christmas 1992, got Sonic 1 as the pack in game and Sonic 2 separately.

I remember being captivated by the Sonic 1 screenshot in the Argos catalogue, it looked amazing (had a Commodore 64 at the time)

I still remember to this day pushing in the Sonic 1 cartridge, being greeted with that 'SEGA' chant and those wonderful vivid graphics and great sound.

I think that the leap from the 8bit to the 16bit era at the time was such a bit step, I think probably 16 to 32 bit is probably the biggest difference in terms what games ended up looking like.

I look at my sons Xbox one and whilst the games look lovely, , the difference between games on that and say, the PS3 or XBox 360... it's not the night and day difference you saw with those generations.

So I think part of the magic of the Megadrive for me was that is was just so much better than what I had, and the previous 8bit generation. the evolution is a bit more blurred these days (and games which run on your phone look amazing now too)

I don't remember well. I got the Mega Drive for christmas 1993. The previous month, I was in a friend's birthday (we were 7 years old) and he made me test the first Sonic the Hedgehog (which I think I only knew from reputation and was already attracted to). I found this so amazing. I don't remember if it was the trigger or if I decided to ask for a Mega Drive before. But clearly I wanted a videogame console. And it finally became my first console. With Sonic the Hedgehog. My next game was Super Hydlide.
    My Top20 Sega Genesis Soundtrack (It is no longer updated, but it is the only video I made​​! And it's game by game, not track by track. You can play blindtest.)

Quote Originally Posted by Marrr View Post
    I still remember to this day pushing in the Sonic 1 cartridge, being greeted with that 'SEGA' chant and those wonderful vivid graphics and great sound.
    Sonic 1 was one of my first games as well. After hearing that opening "Seg-aaa!" I always felt like something was missing when I would play other games and the Sega logo would come up on the screen quietly. To this day, inevitably I have to fill in the quiet with my own "Seg-aaa!"

I actually had this feeling, that I find amazing now: having tasted Sonic on Mega Drive, absolutely every other game seemed bland. Even when I later discovered Streets of Rage 2, I found it slow and not as good as Sonic. There was nothing left outside Sonic. It was a game without equal.
    My Top20 Sega Genesis Soundtrack (It is no longer updated, but it is the only video I made​​! And it's game by game, not track by track. You can play blindtest.)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker nv0bdizc's Avatar

What's your Sega Genesis story, and why did you love the Sega Genesis back in the day?
    Unlike most fans I didn't actually grow up with Sega personally, although my childhood was contemporaneous with the Mega Drive, not actually owning any Sega kit until I bought a Dreamcast in University a few years after its demise. My interest in the 16-bit stuff comes from a sort of retroactive interest. I really enjoy finding a slightly more obscure title with some imagination or cool design trick behind it: The Ooze, Vectorman, Castlevania: Bloodlines and Sonic 3D Blast being among my favourites, and I've really enjoyed reading Playing At The Next Level. I also love the design aesthetic of the console itself.

These days my kids have discovered Sonic through cartoons and re-releases of the games on their Kindles, I'm glad they're getting enjoyment out of it but I can't quite grok their preference for touchscreen controls! We've had quite a few rainy weekends recently so I showed them the 2-player modes of Sonic 2 and 3 with actual controllers on a proper TV and it's become something we can all enjoy together.

Thread Information