Quantcast

Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Streets of Rage 4 (Official Thread)

Master of Shinobi Hidden_Darkness's Avatar

I enjoyed SOR 4, I do have some minor gripes about it but itís been a pretty solid game. The bosses spamming special moves constantly gets kind of annoying though. The fact that it is getting a non limited standard retail release this summer on PS4, Switch, Xb1 is good news, iíll be picking it up for Xbox One.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Physicals of SOR4 for PS4/XB/NS up on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=streets+o...nb_sb_ss_i_1_7

Better boxart than the LRG version

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

It also comes with some extras. I should have waited.

Iíve heard that there are 2 different versions (different devs) of this game. Is that right?
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It also comes with some extras. I should have waited.

Iíve heard that there are 2 different versions (different devs) of this game. Is that right?
    I emailed LRG and they canceled my order. You can try the same

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I'm commited.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Social Justice Ninja Master of Shinobi IrishNinja's Avatar

yeah, what are the extras there?
    really want my genesis clamshell but not excited to wait months for it, potentially

Just played through the game between yesterday and today. Not sure what more anyone would want out of a new Streets of Rage game, aside from a more memorable soundtrack. The gameplay is unbelievably tight, feels the same as Streets of Rage 2. Game is very challenging, and took the best of the three games (and the Game Gear games surprisingly) and turned it into a new, more polished fighting system that requires you to do more than mash A to beat the game. Graphics are fantastic, with the new hand-drawn animation looking fantastic. And the fact that you can unlock almost every playable character from the previous games, as well as face previous bosses by using the taser on arcade cabinets is just a fantastic throwback. The Retro filter doesn't look great, looks a little better with the Retro CRT setting but not amazing.

Cons:

The main thing I would say needs improvement is the soundtrack. Some tracks are definitely worthy of the game's predecessor, including the main theme, the first level theme, the Police Station theme, the Art Gallery stage theme, and the End credits. But a lot of the tracks seem to be more generic and drone on than anything, and the music doesn't feel as cohesive with 4(?) Different composers working on it. Compared to Double Dragon Neon and Sonic Mania, this is one place where I think the game could have been improved. I found myself turning on the retro soundtrack more often than not.

That being said though, the retro tracks feel way out of place for the levels they're matched up with. For one, there is not a single track from the Genesis version of Streets of Rage 1, which has lots of memorable music. And most of the Streets of Rage 2 thrown in doesn't match up with the levels. For example, you hear the Streets of Rage 2 boss music in the regular prison level. And there are a massive amount of Game Gear SOR tracks that the devs threw into the soundtrack. Not what I was expecting at all. I hate the SOR3 soundtrack so I personally do not miss that. But the soundtrack seems a bit haphazard in both respects for a game so focused on music. No Violent Breathing from SOR1 on the elevator level was a huge miss in my opinion.

The other thing that bugged me was the lack of cutscenes and storyboards. No actual ending scene? That really surprised me. Made the game feel unfinished in that respect.

Overall I'd give it an 9/10. Gameplay-wise, its a worthy successor. But with the lack of closure, and what feels like a hook to put in DLC of some kind, its not a perfect game. But it doesn't need to be perfect when you can turn on the "Retro Soundtrack" and mash your days away.
    Last edited by Baloo; 05-17-2020 at 12:40 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

I think I read on Twitter that there was some licensing issue with the original soundtracks and they could only license some of the tracks - no idea if that's correct, though.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    I think I read on Twitter that there was some licensing issue with the original soundtracks and they could only license some of the tracks - no idea if that's correct, though.
    I'm surprised that was an issue at all, given the involvement of original composers Koshiro, Kawashima, and the license to use the IP from Sega.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I'm surprised that was an issue at all, given the involvement of original composers Koshiro, Kawashima, and the license to use the IP from Sega.
    If Sega had already signed an exclusive licensing deal with another party, Lizardcube would have to negotiate with that party.

GSK on Twitter found out that the tracks included in SOR4 match the second CD of Wave-Master's OST release from 2012. The second CD only included tracks from Bare Knuckle II on the MD and Bare Knuckle GG. So it seems like they were only able or willing to negotiate for the tracks on that CD. Or, it could be another company they had to negotiate with - we don't know.

But it seems almost certain that something like this prevented Lizardcube from getting the tracks to SOR1 (MD), so they had to use the GG tracks instead.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    The main thing I would say needs improvement is the soundtrack. Some tracks are definitely worthy of the game's predecessor, including the main theme, the first level theme, the Police Station theme, the Art Gallery stage theme, and the End credits. But a lot of the tracks seem to be more generic and drone on than anything, and the music doesn't feel as cohesive with 4(?) Different composers working on it. Compared to Double Dragon Neon and Sonic Mania, this is one place where I think the game could have been improved. I found myself turning on the retro soundtrack more often than not.
    The level tracks were all done by the main artist, except for the first level song. Yuzo Koshiro did the main theme, character select, first level, and the themes for Mr.X's kids. Every other boss tune is by guest artists, including the final showdown (when they hop into the mecha).
    Personally I liked a good half of the normal level tunes, and the Y Twins themes (but they are just remixes of Mr. X's theme). The other boss tunes are all garbage, except maybe Estel's theme but I can't enjoy that because it plays during the most tedious and unfair fights of the game (not counting the daft punk reject). The character select is also nice and long, which is a bonus because its what plays when you are waiting to start network games.

It's true that many songs just drone on for too long, and most don't have a centered musical theme to anchor around - they just keep changing like some kind of prog techno. So they just don't get "stuck" in your head immediately because they are so long and different.

Note that the songs change as you progress through a level, so one "song" may have 4-5 sub-sections that loop on a given section of a stage. One of the best tunes is the one that plays on the final section of stage 4 and OF COURSE it was missing from the first soundtrack release...

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Yeah, this is baffling to me that LizardCube says DotEmu had a licensing error with the first soundtrack from the first game. I don't buy the sampling issue either since Streets of Rage 2 sounds just as sample-heavy as the first soundtrack. It seems more the fact that someone screwed up somewhere and thought that the Game Gear version of the SOR1 soundtrack was the Genesis one. I hope that's not the case, but who knows. Ultimately I just want to see a hack of the game that reorders and replaces the Retro soundtrack with more fitting music for each level. I want to hear In The Bar from SOR2 while I'm in the bar. I want to hear Violent Breathing from SOR1 when I'm on the elevator level. And on the ship level should be a combination of Keep the Groovin' from SOR1 and Slow Moon from SOR2. I wouldn't be surprised if soon someone developed something.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Outrunner

Not bad game, very fun indeed, but again as happened with Sor3 compared to Sor2 or Sor1, boring music and meh graphic (animations are very good). I had to switch it off....

Outrunner

I broke down and played some with the SoR3 characters last night and was amused that they left their roll/run mechanics intact.

Really reinforces that there is zero reason for the default characters to lack this.

Master of Shinobi

The SOR3 characters are hilariously broken due to how cancels and juggling works in the game. Zan can pinball some bosses back and forth the screen with his dash and blitz nearly indefinitely.

Thread Information